Adolf Trump Thinks The U.S. Should ‘Start Thinking About’ Racial Profiling...

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/trump-united-states-start-racial-profiling
Donald Trump suggested on Sunday that racial profiling is the next step the United States should take in trying to seek out potential terrorists.

"Well I think profiling is something that we're going to have to start thinking about as a country," Trump said in a phone interview with CBS' "Face the Nation." "Other countries do it, you look at Israel and you look at others, they do it and they do it successfully. And I hate the concept of profiling but we have to start using common sense and we have to use our heads."

"It's not the worst thing to do," he added.

Trump did not explicitly lay out which Americans would face profiling, but his comments came in response to the mass shooting at a Florida LGBT club last weekend that left 49 dead. The shooter, Omar Mateen, was a Muslim born in New York and reportedly self-radicalized online.

In response to the attack, Trump has amped up his rhetoric against Muslim Americans, blaming them for failing to notify authorities about suspicious individuals within their communities and saying they're unable to assimilate. He's also said federal officials need to “check, respectfully, the mosques" and implement his proposed ban on Muslim immigration.

Though his comments have been critiqued by GOP leaders still clinging to their tepid endorsements of the presumptive nominee, Trump has shown no hint of backing down. He told congressional Republicans criticizing him to focus on their own work.

"I think that honestly they should go about their business and they should do a wonderful job and work on budgets and get the budgets down and get the military the kind of money they need and lots of other things, and they shouldn't be talking so much," the real estate mogul said on “Face The Nation.”

"They should go out and do their job, let me do my job," he continued.

bor151208.gif

Comments