This is how ugly it is between Von Miller and Broncos

Options
2stepz_ahead
2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/this-is-how-ugly-it-s-gotten-between-von-miller-and-broncos-014029461.html

Less than two months ago, a significant contract impasse cratered the relationship between cornerback Josh Norman and the Carolina Panthers. Now it's starting to look like Super Bowl MVP Von Miller and the Denver Broncos are stepping into a similar hole.

The contract impasse between Miller and the Broncos took a seemingly personal wrong turn in the past 48 hours, so much so that the two sides can't seem to agree on who triggered it. Miller rejected a six-year, $114.5 million deal at some point between Monday night and Wednesday morning, according to the Broncos. Sources close to Miller, however, told Yahoo Sports that the player actually accepted two significant parts of Denver's offer on Monday night: specifically, the length of the contract (six years) and the overall money ($114.5 million).

Along with that acceptance, Miller's representatives requested a continuation of negotiations on the overall structure of the deal, including how much money would be guaranteed. Within that acceptance appears to be a concession of sorts, too. Miller was believed to be seeking more than $22 million per season. The overall money that he accepted from Denver is slightly over $19 million per season.

The structure of Miller's deal is paramount. And now it has ballooned into an undermining factor. The guaranteed money is apparently where everything fell apart between the two sides. And it appears to have gotten much worse since, to the point that there is now a possibility that Miller could sit out the 2016 season entirely.

How did it get this dire? Go straight to the numbers. The six-year, $114.5 million deal is far less committed than it sounds. In reality, the contract can be dumped after only two seasons, meaning the Broncos have offered Miller what amounts to be a two-year deal worth $38.5 million guaranteed. Another $1.3 million in unguaranteed money is earnable between those two seasons via a workout bonus. After that, the rest of the deal can be shed at any point.

The contract sounds like it exceeds the one that the Miami Dolphins' Ndamukong Suh signed, but it actually doesn't. Suh's deal contained a shade under $60 million in guaranteed money ($21.5 million more than what is being offered to Miller). The Miller guarantee also falls well short of the contract signed this offseason by New York Giants defensive end Olivier Vernon, who received $52.5 million in guaranteed money. It's worth noting that Vernon has averaged just over seven sacks a season in his four NFL seasons and has never been an All Pro. Miller has averaged 12 sacks a season, been named an All Pro four times in five seasons, and dominated the Super Bowl in February en route to MVP honors.

One sticking point remains in the eyes of the Broncos: Miller isn't on the free-agent market. He is being held under the franchise tag. And for that reason, Denver has chosen to use that leverage to get Miller to sign what amounts to a discounted deal.

That approach seems to mirror what has guided Denver for much of this offseason. With an eye on the bottom line, Denver let go of three key free agents: quarterback Brock Osweiler, defensive end Malik Jackson and linebacker Danny Trevathan. The Broncos also traded offensive tackle Ryan Clady, shut down a trade for San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick and signed offensive tackle Russell Okung and defensive end Derek Wolfe to remarkably team-friendly deals.

It was thought that a large part of that aggressive fiscal approach was to position the Broncos to pay Miller a deal commensurate with Suh … or at the very least, Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Justin Houston. But the offer to Miller even lags significantly behind Houston, too. Like Vernon, Houston received $52.5 million in guaranteed money.

Perhaps most interesting, Denver felt compelled to shut down negotiations with Miller in early June. That's a departure from some past deals. The Broncos had negotiated all the way to mid-July to get major extensions completed with stars. That's how they handled Demaryius Thomas and Ryan Clady in 2013 and 2015, respectively. Rather than take that approach with Miller, Denver apparently extended the most recent offer with an "all-or-nothing" posture. That led the Broncos to interpret Miller's response of partial acceptance as nothing less than a total rejection of terms.

Wednesday's developments can be interpreted as some mud-slinging from Denver. Miller has said nothing but positive things publicly about the franchise and his hopefulness in negotiations. But the Broncos leaking the terms of an offer, and then framing Miller's response as a rejection, seem to be an effort to put Miller in less-than-flattering light. Particularly when the guaranteed money contained in the deal lags so far behind other players who have had less of an impact on their franchises.

Miller could report and play (likely unhappily) under the franchise tag, facing as many as three straight seasons of tags before forcing his way to free agency. Or he could take the current impasse as something that can't be overcome and ask for the tag to be rescinded, resolving the situation in a fashion similar to Norman and the Panthers. He could also sit out the upcoming season, forcing the Broncos to apply a non-exclusive franchise tag next offseason. In that latter route, Miller could then negotiate and sign with other NFL teams, with the Broncos being awarded a first- and third-round pick if they choose not to match the offer.

All of those avenues are possibilities at this point. Nobody would have believed it only a week ago. But then again, nobody expected Josh Norman to be playing for the Washington Redskins next season, either.

Comments

• 2stepz_ahead
    Options
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    i will say i didnt like the way they went at cam after the superbowl. especially von.

hope he gets what he wants.....
  • prime_time_willy
    prime_time_willy Members Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    PAY THE MAN!

I dunno wtf Elway is doing on this one

You didn't want to pay Brock(understandable) but then you didn't pay to keep your championship defense intact ok cool

Now you're trying to edge your way out of paying Von after he delivered you a superbowl wtf?

If their is anybody that deserves his money on this squad it's this guy foh
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    nobody gonna remember von cause all the focus was on peyton
  • numbaz...80's baby
    numbaz...80's baby Members Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Some team will pay him. Denver doesn't need to drop the ball on this one.
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's not that bad, click bait article, Von said today no deal, but the situation is fluid and it will get done. Elway is trying too build legacies.....that is why he drafted the way he did, Shane Ray could be another Von Miller. Von signs
  • Negro_Caesar
    Negro_Caesar Members Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I Am Jay ? wrote: »
    It's not that bad, click bait article, Von said today no deal, but the situation is fluid and it will get done. Elway is trying too build legacies.....that is why he drafted the way he did, Shane Ray could be another Von Miller. Von signs
    I Am Jay ? wrote: »

? they trying to give him like 30 million less in guarantees than he deserves. Id holdout. I rarely agree with holdouts ( if you don't like your current contract) but they are low balling the ? out of him
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? like thanks for getting us to the chip, we don't need you now
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NFL contracts are worth toilet tissue
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is why I think it's ? ? to let kids focus on playing football. This is what awaits you at the top of the mountain? You get Super Bowl MVP, play your hardest, in the hardest field, and then some ? worth billions says, "Nah, I'll franchise tag and underpay you."

I called Steve Francis a ? for doing the Grizzlies how he did on draft day, but I wouldn't play for the Broncos at all. ? you mean...
  • bow to royalty
    bow to royalty Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    KNiGHTS wrote: »
    This is why I think it's ? ? to let kids focus on playing football. This is what awaits you at the top of the mountain? You get Super Bowl MVP, play your hardest, in the hardest field, and then some ? worth billions says, "Nah, I'll franchise tag and underpay you."

I called Steve Francis a ? for doing the Grizzlies how he did on draft day, but I wouldn't play for the Broncos at all. ? you mean...

The franchise tag pays well. I think people mainly don't like it because it's just a 1 year deal. Von Millee's still probably going to get a huge amount of money. Don't feel too bad for him
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think this shows the clear bias for offense the game has now become. How Miller win a SB MVP that was 90% based on the defenses, and still get that "what the ? ever" treatment is crazy.

Now, I agree that since defensive player literally can't hold the game in their hands like a QB can, the top QBs should be getting nine figure deals if they've commanded it. But when NFL execs start shorting everyone else, that's when it becomes a problem.

Von got offed $65M up front and still turned that down, tho. On the flip side, I thought the Broncos did a good job with that offer. So, I'm indifferent about this particular situation.
  • FlightKing
    FlightKing Members Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As a Broncos fan, this is highly disturbing. I really thought we'd negotiate with this ? for 3 minutes, say yes and call it a day. WTF.