10 Reasons Why Michael Jordan is Not the Greatest

Options
13»

Comments

• Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Usmarine saying dumb ? must be a day that ends in Y

And a ? pressed ether lol ..Oscar magic and lbj are better scoresthen Jordan lol
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    I just think people need to define the criteria of what makes someone the GOAT, because they seem to make exceptions for MJ. smh

1. If it's titles then it's Russell or some of them old Celtic ?
    2. If it's pure stats or dominance then it's Kareem or Wilt
    3. If it's individual skillset then it's probably someone like Magic, Lebron, Oscar
    4. Is it all time great moments?

What is the criteria because Jordan ain't dominant in none of them. Plus if were being honest Kareem is the most accomplished player ever.

How was MJ not dominant? And people overate the hell out of Kareem's stats. What per game stats does he dominate? None. He has the most points ever, but that has a lot to do with the fact that he played and extremely long time.
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm sorry i can't give wilt chamberlain TOO much credit for dominating in his era when he was competing against scrawny Bob Whiteman's and Joey Mayonaisse's .. Same with Bill russell.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    Peace_79 wrote: »
    I just think people need to define the criteria of what makes someone the GOAT, because they seem to make exceptions for MJ. smh

3. If it's individual skillset then it's probably someone like Magic, Lebron, Oscar

What is the criteria because Jordan ain't dominant in none of them. Plus if were being honest Kareem is the most accomplished player ever.

Taylor Swift is one of the best Selling recording artists of ALL TIME and has a closet full of Grammys...

What does that tell you.

The answer is simple ... It's the Eye Test ... Backed up with accomplishments.

That really ends the discussion for me.

MJ is the GOAT, Period.

How is the eye test when none of you ? lived through the Russell, Wilt, Kareem, Big O,etc play.

Russell and Kareem have similar accomplishments to Jordan

Kareem has 6 regular season mvps and 5 rings

Russell has 5 mvps and 11 titles

I've seen tape and I know the context.

Jordan's competition dwarfs Russel and the Oscars.

I'm not saying it isn't close with Kareem - you have an argument... But you asked for criteria ...

And I gave you the Eye Test. I have never seen anyone compare to Jordan on the court.

Only problem with the eye test argument is when it comes to Jordan people only focus on his success in the 90s. People talk about how Jordan would never lose under certain circumstances as if he went undefeated in every playoff series he played in. I've heard people say ? like "Jordan would drop 60 on an average night with no problem"... fans have made Jordan into this mythical character that never missed a clutch shot, never lost and won every single year he played when that's not true he had his struggles as a player too . To Alot of people though Jordan's career begins with that first ring and they ignore the years before that he was getting his ass whooped in the playoffs because he didn't want to pass the ball
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^ That only for those who know nothing about basketball . Jordan was already the best Player in NBA by his third season.

The Eye Test argument again helps MJ, Jordan numbers across the board in the 80's destroys what he did in the 90's. The offensive and defensive displays he did in the 80's were insane.
  • white sympathizer
    white sympathizer Members Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How in 2016 are you talking about lack of quality teams in the league during jordans prime? There are maybe 4 ? teams with any shot at being in the finals

We just had a repeat of the finals from the year prior

Jordans a ball hog? And leflop isnt? Westbrook isnt?

Get this ? outta here
  • blackrain
    Options
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    ^ That only for those who know nothing about basketball . Jordan was already the best Player in NBA by his third season.

The Eye Test argument again helps MJ, Jordan numbers across the board in the 80's destroys what he did in the 90's. The offensive and defensive displays he did in the 80's were insane.

Insane or were players allowed to get away with more? Remember the Jordan Rules the Pistons used, and Jordan openly whines about in the media which people also forget, was nothing more than trying to ? him up as opposed to actually playing defense
  • blackrain
    Options
    How in 2016 are you talking about lack of quality teams in the league during jordans prime? There are maybe 4 ? teams with any shot at being in the finals

Get this ? outta here

The lack of quality teams thing is dumb because you look any era and the same teams are in the Finals. NBA and parity don't really line up
  • nujerz84
    edited July 2016
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »

Insane or were players allowed to get away with more? Remember the Jordan Rules the Pistons used, and Jordan openly whines about in the media which people also forget, was nothing more than trying to ? him up as opposed to actually playing defense

I see you one them contrarian Ill Community dumb ? that just like to argue stupid points that have nothing to do with topic at hand.
  • blackrain
    Options

I see you one them contrarian Ill Community dumb ? that just like to argue stupid points that have nothing to do with topic at hand.

Nah...responded to the wrong post ..calm your feelings down just because someone thinks MJ wasn't the perfect player...
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Get this ? outta here

The lack of quality teams thing is dumb because you look any era and the same teams are in the Finals. NBA and parity don't really line up
    That's cool and all but it's to the point now where people are predicting what's going to happen. We have to sit through these long drawn out ass playoffs just to see Cleveland vs Golden State lol. Back in the day other teams were closer than teams are now.
  • YoungRider
    YoungRider Members Posts: 61 ✭✭
    Options
    Jordan was not the best player in the NBA in his 3rd year gtfoh Magic and Bird was dead huh? see that's the bs I be talking about but when they crown a new player as the best y'all say he got no rings smh
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    YoungRider wrote: »
    Jordan was not the best player in the NBA in his 3rd year gtfoh Magic and Bird was dead huh? see that's the bs I be talking about but when they crown a new player as the best y'all say he got no rings smh

So now basketball is a solo sport? Magic and Bird didn't play for the two most dominant franchises while they were still good. Yes, we all consider the ability to lead a team to a championship as being a requirement for being an all-time great, but a player doesn't have to be a champion to be the best player in the league.

MJ was averaging 37 pts a game. Dude pretty much had his way the league. Magic and Bird were great, and you could certainly make an argument for any of the three.

• LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

So now basketball is a solo sport? Magic and Bird didn't play for the two most dominant franchises while they were still good. Yes, we all consider the ability to lead a team to a championship as being a requirement for being an all-time great, but a player doesn't have to be a champion to be the best player in the league.

MJ was averaging 37 pts a game. Dude pretty much had his way the league. Magic and Bird were great, and you could certainly make an argument for any of the three.

Wilt had seasons with higher ppg than Jordan though
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    LUClEN wrote: »

Wilt had seasons with higher ppg than Jordan though

Ok, but Wilt wasn't playing when MJ played, so that doesn't have any bearing.
  • YoungRider
    YoungRider Members Posts: 61 ✭✭
    Options

Far from solo. To say he was better than those guys in his 3rd season is disrespectful tho and stats wise in their primes with lesser players they're numbers would have been inflated as well I'm not saying Mike isn't better but he wasn't better in his 3rd season and people to tend to forget Bird and Mike used to go at it it wasn't one sided as just that 63 point game which I think they got swept that series. 80s was a tough era to win in tho that's why I have Kareem right up there as well with Mike.
  • nujerz84
    edited July 2016
    Options
    He was ? on the entire league in his 3rd year..Offensivly no one was better he was unstoppable. On defense this not even a question, as he only accomplished a feat no one in NBA history had done by becoming the first player to have 200 steals and 100 blocks in a season.

He easily was the best individual player in the NBA by his 3rd season. And if want to disagree fine, its no question in his 4th year no debate on MJ being the best player..winning MVP, Defensive Player of the Year, All Star MVP, All Nba, All Defensive team etc etc.
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options

Taylor Swift is one of the best Selling recording artists of ALL TIME and has a closet full of Grammys...

What does that tell you.

The answer is simple ... It's the Eye Test ... Backed up with accomplishments.

That really ends the discussion for me.

MJ is the GOAT, Period.

How is the eye test when none of you ? lived through the Russell, Wilt, Kareem, Big O,etc play.

Russell and Kareem have similar accomplishments to Jordan

Kareem has 6 regular season mvps and 5 rings

Russell has 5 mvps and 11 titles

I've seen tape and I know the context.

Jordan's competition dwarfs Russel and the Oscars.

I'm not saying it isn't close with Kareem - you have an argument... But you asked for criteria ...

And I gave you the Eye Test. I have never seen anyone compare to Jordan on the court.

Only problem with the eye test argument is when it comes to Jordan people only focus on his success in the 90s. People talk about how Jordan would never lose under certain circumstances as if he went undefeated in every playoff series he played in. I've heard people say ? like "Jordan would drop 60 on an average night with no problem"... fans have made Jordan into this mythical character that never missed a clutch shot, never lost and won every single year he played when that's not true he had his struggles as a player too . To Alot of people though Jordan's career begins with that first ring and they ignore the years before that he was getting his ass whooped in the playoffs because he didn't want to pass the ball

This may be true ...

But I am not those people. AND he is still the GOAT.
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This article takes so many things out of context. This sounds like a cat who wasn't alive then literally going to NBA.com and utilizing facts and a few Google searches.
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol author has some valid points.

He does, it's not some emotional article.

If Jordan was the goat then the bulls should have fallen apart when he left

Like Cleveland did when Lebron left?
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Recipe wrote: »
    lol author has some valid points.

He does, it's not some emotional article.

If Jordan was the goat then the bulls should have fallen apart when he left

Like Cleveland did when Lebron left?

Yes