Adolf Trump: 'A Lot Of People' Feel That Black Lives Matter Is 'Inherently Racist'…

stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/trump-black-lives-matter-divisive
VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (AP) — Donald Trump said Monday he believes relations between police and the nation's African-American community are "far worse" than people think, predicting that protests against police violence that followed last week's slaying of five police officers in Dallas "might be just the beginning for this summer."

In an interview with The Associated Press, the presumptive GOP nominee struck a balance between the law-and-order rhetoric he has espoused during his campaign and an appreciation for the concerns held by African-Americans nationwide about the conduct of police.

Trump suggested that a lack of training for officers might be at least partially to blame for the two police shootings that led to last Thursday's protest in Dallas, where a lone gunman killed five in an act of vengeance against white officers. At the same time,Trump denounced the name of the Black Lives Matter movement as "a very divisive term."

The interview followed a speech on veterans issues in which Trump declared, "I am the law and order candidate," an echo of Richard Nixon's response to protest violence that broke out in 1968 following the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr. like Trump, Nixon was a Republican running for president at the time.

"It's time for our hostility against our police, and against all members of law enforcement, to end, and end immediately, right now," Trump said during his speech, comparing anti-police sentiment to the harassment faced by returning veterans in the aftermath of the Vietnam War.

But Trump also referenced the "tragic deaths in Louisiana and Minnesota" during his event, saying they made clear that "a lot of work" must be done to ensure all Americans feel their safety is being protected.

Trump said he was disturbed by the images of the killings of Alton Sterling, who was shot by police last Tuesday in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, after being pinned to the pavement by two officers. The altercation that captured on cell phone video.

The following day, Philando Castile was fatally shot by an officer in suburban St. Paul, Minnesota, an act livestreamed on Facebook by his girlfriend.

"I thought they were horrible, horrible to witness," Trump said. "Whether that's a lack of training or whatever, but I thought they were two incidents that were absolutely horrible to witness. At the same time, our country is losing its spirit. African-Americans are absolutely losing their spirit."

Trump framed that issue in largely economic terms, blaming the mood of the nation's black community on high unemployment and low wages.

"Jobs can solve so many problems," he said. "And we're going to open our country up and we're going to be a huge jobs producer again instead of having terrible jobs.

"Our good jobs are going away, they're going away from this country," he added. "We're going to open our country up again for great jobs where people can make terrific livings and be happy."

Asked specifically what he would say to African-Americans who feel targeted by police because of their race, Trump said, "We have to talk to 'em and we have to build up the spirt."

He added: "We have to talk with the police. And we have to get people to really get along. People are not getting along in this country. We are in a divided country."

Trump went on to predict the problem would only grow worse.

"When President Obama said the other day that he doesn't think it's as bad as people think, I think it's far worse and certainly far worse than he believes it is," Trump said. "We are in a divided nation. I looked two nights ago and you were having trouble in 11 different cities, big, big trouble. And the press actually plays it down.

"I mean, you were having big, big trouble in many cities. And I think that might be just the beginning for this summer."

Trump also had harsh words for the Black Lives Matters movement, which has organized some of the protests. Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani, a Trump adviser, labeled the group "inherently racist" over the weekend in an interview with CBS News.

"When you say black lives matter, that's inherently racist," Giuliani said. "Black lives matter. White lives matter. Asian lives matter. Hispanic lives matter. That's anti-American and it's racist."

Asked whether he agreed with Giuliani's assessment, Trump said the group's name is "divisive."

"A lot of people agree with that. A lot of people feel that it is inherently racist. And it's a very divisive term," he said. "Because all lives matter. It's a very, very divisive term."

Trump added that has heard some Black Lives Matter activists say "horrible, horrible things about police and about others."

"And certainly if they're going to allow that to go along rhetorically, this is not a good thing for our country," he said.

bor151208.gif

[img]http://cdn.hiphopwired.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/donald-trump-rally-? -salute-woman-supporter-chicago.jpg[/img]

Comments

• BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He'll probably get assassinated if he becomes president for his racist antics. I ain't even worried.
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol

This guy in his "a lot of people"

A lot of angry bitter resentful racist white people, you mean???
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm getting tired of white ppl COMPLETE ? rhetoric regarding black anything.

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always laugh at the idea that saying "Black Lives Matter" is inherently racist. How? Where in the structure of that statement is there a comparison to any other set of lives. That is a factually incorrect statement, yet people keep on spouting it.
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I read his quotes I heard the donalds voice...lol he said I'm talk to them an lift there spirit....lol
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish the whole BLM ? would just go away, because it gives white people the out to pretend like they're missing the point by being hung up on "black lives". No matter how much we explain to them they get tripped up with this "all lives matter".

They know exactly what we mean but with that name they can just act like they don't get it and continue the pointless rhetoric and strawman arguments
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    I wish the whole BLM ? would just go away, because it gives white people the out to pretend like they're missing the point by being hung up on "black lives". No matter how much we explain to them they get tripped up with this "all lives matter".

They know exactly what we mean but with that name they can just act like they don't get it and continue the pointless rhetoric and strawman arguments

Nah hell with these ? is lying flat out they can burn in hell with the other liars and cowards along with everyone else who believe them
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jul/13/donald-trump-strikes-muddled-note-on-divisive-black-lives-matter
    Donald Trump strikes muddled note on 'divisive' Black Lives Matter

Donald Trump has accused the Black Lives Matter movement of “dividing America” amid renewed tensions surrounding police brutality and race relations, while suggesting he identified with African Americans who felt as though the system was stacked against them.

The presumptive Republican nominee addressed the fallout from deadly police shootings of black men in Louisiana and Minnesota, and the killing of five police officers in Dallas, during both an interview with Fox News and a rally in Westfield, Indiana.

But even as he expressed concerns over the police killings of Alton Sterling and Philando Castile, describing videos of the encounters as “tough to watch”, Trump blamed Barack Obama and Black Lives Matter as primarily responsible for divisions over race.

“I think it’s certainly, it’s very divisive and I think they’re hurting themselves,” Trump told Fox News host Bill O’Reilly in reference to the phrase “black lives matter” and the eponymous movement leading national demonstrations for criminal justice reform.

“The first time I heard it I said ‘You have to be kidding,’” said Trump. “I think it’s a very, very, very divisive term. There’s no question about it.”

Asked what he would say to African Americans who feel as though the system was biased against them, Trump drew an analogy with his own campaign.“Well, I’ve been saying, even against me the system is rigged,” Trump told O’Reilly. “When I ran for president I could see what is going on with the system, and the system is rigged.

“I can really relate it very much to myself.”

Trump criticised the killings of Sterling and Castile as “a terrible, disgusting performance” by police. He struck a similar note while taking the stump in Indiana on Tuesday evening.

“The two people killed in Louisiana and Minnesota, it was tough to watch,” Trump said. “I hated watching it.”

“We have to figure it out what’s going on,” he added. “Was it training, was it something else? Could’ve been something else.

“We have to take care of everybody … but we also have to get to the bottom of things. We have to.”

The conflicting remarks were indicative of Trump’s struggle to soften his tone as his campaign insists he is capable of pivoting to the general election.

Despite raising concerns over criminal justice, his rhetoric against Black Lives Matter remains more in line with his aggressive posture on the subject during the Republican primary.

Through most of his campaign Trump has vehemently defended law enforcement and even shared misleading and racially charged crime data over his Twitter account. He also suggested at a rally in November that a Black Lives Matter protester “should have been roughed up”.

Trump, overwhelmingly unpopular among African Americans in the polls, has declined an invitation to address the NAACP’s annual convention next week. Previous Republican candidates have addressed the gathering of the nation’s oldest and largest civil rights organisation. Hillary Clinton, the presumptive Democratic nominee, will speak before the group on Monday.

On Tuesday in Indiana, Trump used most of his remarks on police dealings with minorities to reiterate his support for law enforcement.

“The police are not just part of our society. The police are the best of our society,” he said. “We have to remember that. They represent our highest ideals, our greatest values and our most noble characteristics.”

• Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    “The police are not just part of our society. The police are the best of our society,” he said. “We have to remember that. They represent our highest ideals, our greatest values and our most noble characteristics.”

Even if, we didn't have Police murdering Blacks at the rate that they are this statement from trump would still be a despicable lie.