If You Want the Government to Forgive Your Criminal Mistakes, Run for President

janklow
janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
just saying...

If You Want the Government to Forgive Your Criminal Mistakes, Run for President
The FBI determined that clearly seriously poor decisions were made here, describing the handling of classified information under Clinton's administration as Secretary of State as "extremely careless." But despite the violations of the law, the FBI determined no "intentional and willful mishandling" of classified information, and thus decided that an attempt to prosecute probably would not succeed.

How lucky for her. If only the same could be said for the rest of us.
Glenn Greenwald notes that those with lesser connections who get accused of mishandling classified information see much different responses from this administration:

NSA whistleblower Tom Drake, for instance, faced years in prison, and ultimately had his career destroyed, based on the Obama DOJ's claims that he "mishandled" classified information (it included information that was not formally classified at the time but was retroactively decreed to be such). Less than two weeks ago, "a Naval reservist was convicted and sentenced for mishandling classified military materials" despite no "evidence he intended to distribute them." Last year, a Naval officer was convicted of mishandling classified information also in the absence of any intent to distribute it.

We're also talking about a woman who thinks Edward Snowden didn't go through "proper channels" before leaking information about mass domestic surveillance to the public and should face legal consequences, though the whistleblowing channels she refers to probably wouldn't have applied in Snowden's situation. Despite deliberately not managing communications appropriately to make sure everything goes through "proper channels" with correct level of security, she wants to be treated differently.
The vast difference between how Clinton has been treated here and how us commoners are treated should be a wake-up call for any civil rights organization who resist the expansion of mens rea. It's already being applied unfairly so that the powerful are protected. That it's so much harder—and so very expensive—to fight back when we don't get the same consideration is an indication that it's the lack of mens rea that's the problem.

Comments

• Melqart
    Melqart Guests, Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gross negligence and perjury are the LEAST that she EASILY could be charged with smmfh...
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, so a naval officer was convicted of a crime for basically doing the same thing Hilary did? Damn smh, I said it once and I'll say it again, America doesn't have a real justice system. One rule for cops and politicians, the other rules for everyone else.
  • kingblaze84
    Abraxas wrote: »
    Gross negligence and perjury are the LEAST that she EASILY could be charged with smmfh...

Gross negligence would have been about right, I don't think she ever testified under oath, correct me if I'm wrong. I had a feeling she wouldn't get any charges though, she's too powerful a figure.
  • janklow
    Gross negligence would have been about right, I don't think she ever testified under oath, correct me if I'm wrong.
    well...
    Did Clinton turn over all of her work-related correspondence?

What Clinton said:

August 8, 2015, court filing: “I, Hillary Rodham Clinton, declare under penalty of perjury that the following is true and correct . . . I have directed all my e-mails on clintonemail.com in my custody that were or potentially were federal records be provided to the Department of State and on information and belief, this has been done.”

What Comey said:

“The FBI also discovered several thousand work-related e-mails that were not in the group of 30,000 that were returned by Secretary Clinton to State in 2014. . . . I should add here that we found no evidence that any of the additional work-related e-mails were intentionally deleted in an effort to conceal them.”

• kingblaze84
    edited July 2016
    janklow wrote: »
    Gross negligence would have been about right, I don't think she ever testified under oath, correct me if I'm wrong.
    well...

What Clinton said:

August 8, 2015, court filing: “I, Hillary Rodham Clinton, declare under penalty of perjury that the following is true and correct . . . I have directed all my e-mails on clintonemail.com in my custody that were or potentially were federal records be provided to the Department of State and on information and belief, this has been done.”

What Comey said:

“The FBI also discovered several thousand work-related e-mails that were not in the group of 30,000 that were returned by Secretary Clinton to State in 2014. . . . I should add here that we found no evidence that any of the additional work-related e-mails were intentionally deleted in an effort to conceal them.”

? lol, several thousand emails she didn't turn over, after declaring under oath she directed all emails that were potential federal records to the feds????

HAHA damn, I thought the Republicans were exaggerating this but damn this is pretty bad. I can't even defend this. Corrupt government at its finest.
  • Melqart
    Melqart Guests, Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    well...

What Clinton said:

What Comey said:

So I guess I should throw in obstruction of justice for good taste then
  • janklow
    HAHA damn, I thought the Republicans were exaggerating this but damn this is pretty bad. I can't even defend this. Corrupt government at its finest.
    the biggest problem here is Republicans too mad, Democrats too smug. no Democrat seems to want to dare and admit their anointed one did something wrong and/or lied about. Republicans do not want to debate the topic rationally.

...and that is why i ? hate this election ?

• Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even though Comey was originally a Bush guy..i just couldn't see an Obama appointee bringing the hammer down on Hillary.

The way he came out the gate like "she was extremely careless" , "she was most likely hacked" "people on her team should lose security clearances" , "she exposed national secrets"

And then to cap it off with "yeah no charges tho"..seemed like he was just being loyal to Obama while the Republican in him still wanted to acknowledge that she ? up bad.
  • kingblaze84
    edited July 2016
    the biggest problem here is Republicans too mad, Democrats too smug. no Democrat seems to want to dare and admit their anointed one did something wrong and/or lied about. Republicans do not want to debate the topic rationally.

...and that is why i ? hate this election ?

Democrats have been too smug on this issue but what do you mean Republicans don't want to debate this topic rationally? I've been harsh on Republicans for some of their policies but on this topic, I think Republicans have a decent reason to be upset.

When Trump and Paul Ryan said the system is rigged, it didn't sound like a lie, not a total lie at least. People have lost clearance and had charges filed against them for much less.
  • janklow
    Stiff wrote: »
    Even though Comey was originally a Bush guy..i just couldn't see an Obama appointee bringing the hammer down on Hillary.
    i don't think there's any way the administration would have slammed her. it'd have been justified as a lesser evil than letting Trump win or whatever. i do think this is why they'd have rather seen a guy like Biden be the candidate, though.
    Democrats have been too smug on this issue but what do you mean Republicans don't want to debate this topic rationally?
    Republicans have engaged in a fair amount of conspiracy talk and hyperbole on the issue. totally agree they have reason to be angry, bash Clinton, etc. problem is that when you phrase everything as the greatest crime ever, it's counterproductive.

don't get me wrong, this episode highlights several reasons why i will never vote for that serpent Clinton.
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    Hillary is about that life.

q8tmbznbved5.jpeg