Iowa City Police draw guns on Black Iowa DL playing Pokemon...

stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2016 in For The Grown & Sexy
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/17134494/faith-ekakitie-iowa-hawkeyes-says-was-held-gunpoint-being-misidentified-bank-robber
Iowa defensive lineman Faith Ekakitie wrote that he "feared for my life" when stopped by police in a park Wednesday while playing the popular mobile game "Pokemon Go" in a case of mistaken identity.

Ekakitie wrote in a Facebook post that approximately five Iowa City police officers stopped him and four guns were pointed at him as police searched for a suspect who had robbed a nearby bank 10 minutes earlier.

"My pockets were checked, my backpack was opened up and searched carefully, and I was asked to lift up my shirt while they searched my waistband," Ekakitie wrote. "Not once did they identify themselves to me as Iowa City Police officers, but with four gun barrels staring me in the face, I wouldn't dare question the authority of the men and woman in front of me. This is what happened from my point of view."

Ekakitie said he did not initially respond to police orders to stop because he was approached from behind and was wearing headphones.

"In this situation, what the media would fail to let people know is that the suspect had his headphones in the entire time the Police Officers approached him initially," Ekakitie wrote. "The suspect had actually just pulled up to the park because he was playing a newly popular Game called Pokémon Go. The suspect didn't realize that there were four cops behind him because his music was blaring in his ears. The suspect had reached into his pockets, for something which was his phone, but for all the cops could have known, he was reaching for a gun. The suspect could very well become another statistic on this day.

"I am not one to usually rant on Facebook or anywhere else, but with all of the crazy things that have been happening in our world these past couple of weeks it is hard to stay silent. I am thankful to be alive."

Sgt. Jorey Bailey of the Iowa City Police Department told ESPN that police stopped a man named Faith Ekakitie because he matched the description of the robber, who is also black and was also dressed in black clothes. Bailey said the officers were not acting undercover and were wearing police uniforms.

A University of Iowa spokesman confirmed Ekakitie's Facebook account and the contents of his post.

In his Facebook post, Ekakitie thanked the officers for acting professionally and encouraged people to be more aware of their surroundings.

"Pokemon Go" is a game in which players go to different locations to find virtual characters that appear on their cellphones. It has become a phenomenon since its release earlier this month.

Ekakitie, a senior, played in 12 games last season, recording 13 tackles, including 1.5 tackles for loss, and one fumble recovery.

Comments

• blackamerica
    blackamerica Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Black on black crime's fault
  • numbaz...80's baby
    numbaz...80's baby Members Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So......

No response as to why they had their guns drawn?

• blackamerica
    blackamerica Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    brown321 wrote: »
    One of us is going to get popped playing this ? . Only a matter of time.

Florida Man already clapped at some teenagers cuz he thought they were burglars smh
  • mrrealone
    mrrealone Members Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In his Facebook post, Ekakitie thanked the officers for acting professionally and encouraged people to be more aware of their surroundings.

Okay....
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the reason why my boy only conveniently plays it around ? he's already doing when he's out in public. He said he's a 6'3", 285-lb black man and already has enough to worry about lol smh.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mrrealone wrote: »

Okay....

Omfg... im leaving here soon. And ? wonder why i said many blk women settle for ? ...
    cause who the ? respects that?
    Women want to be protected, and ? can't even stand up for their damn selves as citizens in a country they built.

"Thank u for doing your job correctly sir".

• xxCivicxx
    xxCivicxx Members Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tell every black person I know irl to NOT play Pokemon go after dark

That's damn near a setup
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    xxCivicxx wrote: »

That's damn near a setup

Instead of encouraging ppl in living like a ? . Why dont u encourage ppl to hit townhall or March to push for police reform, so ? like this dont happen....

Im tired of blk ppl accepting themselves being marginalized.

Which by the way is another aspect of why many blk women prefer white men, because they securly can do ? without being marginalized with a white man, that they can't do with a blk man.

Continue to be confined to your fears, instead of pushing for change.
  • xxCivicxx
    D0wn wrote: »

That's damn near a setup

Instead of encouraging ppl in living like a ? . Why dont u encourage ppl to hit townhall or March to push for police reform, so ? like this dont happen....

Which by the way is another aspect of why many blk women prefer white men, because they securly can do ? without being marginalized with a white man, that they can't do with a blk man.

I'm not sure what country you think you live in but there are still sundown towns in America

I love my people enough to try and prevent them from being naive/unaware of their surroundings, especially at night

White people have that luxury, black people will never have that luxury in the US no matter what goofy bill you think is gonna suddenly defeat the entire system which is fundamentally white supremacist in nature

You wanna be the first ? "mistakenly" shot for catching Pokemon then do you /shrug

Pride/ego has gotten many people killed needlessly, remember that
  • xxCivicxx
    D0wn wrote: »

That's damn near a setup

And I don't care what black people who embrace white supremacy do or what they prefer

They can burn with the rest for all I care
  • Vellum
    Vellum Members Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭

That's damn near a setup

He wasnt playing at night though. But besides that, i agree.

This story is so silly. Like, they didnt get a height and weight description before heading off to find the culprit. Clearly in the surveilance picture. He looks of average male height, and maybe a 160 pounds max. The football player was 6'3 280 pounds. lol

Who do you know that robs a bank and then just casually walks around the park with their headphones on. I saw some facebook comments like, he couldve been looking to stash the money, the police dont know.

Stash the money??? People watch way too many tv shows and movies. Aint nobody who did an armed robbery on a bank, going to do anything but get the ? out of there, and to a vacant building for a few hours where they can hide and maybe change clothes, or straight home. Not walk around in broad daylight to stash the money.

Thank ? they didnt shoot him when he reached for his phone in his back pocket. To my knowledge they got the description, and saw the still image of him before heading out, and encountering faith.

His facebook recount is false though. He didnt know any better, because thats what they told him. The suspect had a black hoody on, not something on top of his head, and clearly from the still image he is nowhere near the size of Faith Ekakitie.

I know its green in this picture, but it could be due to the lighting and ? .
    636046340239217242-armed-robbery-july-20.jpg

• Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are the odds a 6'3 287lb ? robbed a bank and another one just happened to be right around the corner, in Iowa