You ever have an interview and not get the job?

Options

Comments

• Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mastery wrote: »
    Good question to ask your interviewer when they ask if you have any questions.

"What types of problems is the company facing and how would hiring me help you solve those problems?"

You can also ask: "Can you give me some examples of how I would be collaborating with my manager/supervisor?"

I like to stand up during my interviews as well. It's just always something I've done. If I'm not buddy buddy with my interviewers by the end of the interview, I feel I won't get the job.

We need a thread just for interview tips/knowledge and the such
  • Mastery
    Mastery Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Qiv_Owan wrote: »

"What types of problems is the company facing and how would hiring me help you solve those problems?"

You can also ask: "Can you give me some examples of how I would be collaborating with my manager/supervisor?"

I like to stand up during my interviews as well. It's just always something I've done. If I'm not buddy buddy with my interviewers by the end of the interview, I feel I won't get the job.

Yeah, I got more stuff to share that I've done or said in the past.
  • Qiv_Owan
    Options

Drop that bruh, i think i suck at interviews

• Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Drop that bruh, i think i suck at interviews

• DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Of course. I'm a black man with a somewhat white name. I'm sure when i go in they're like

confused-travolta.gif

I think my name is considered white and have had the same reaction.

It's not, it's a biblical name and they stole it and made it white.
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not as bad as it used to be though when I was younger.

You have to state yo ethnicity on the application form these days. It's hard to even get an interview if they don't want my type at the company.
  • Mastery
    Options
  • Mastery
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Questions you can ask your interviewers:

"What new skills can I hope to learn?"

If you don't know what the company values, you can ask this:

"What exactly does this company value the most, and how do you think my work for you will further these values?"

"How does this company define and measure success?"

"Can you give me some examples of the most and least desirable aspects of the company's culture?"

"What are the biggest opportunities and challenges facing the company right now?"

"What do you feel are the most important attributes of successful people, and how do you rate yourself in those areas?"

These are just a few I picked up over the years. You can find a lot of good questions to ask an interviewer by doing a search.
  • Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I appreciate the wisdom you dropping hermano
  • Lurkristocrat
    Lurkristocrat Members Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And I was the only ? there too?

17nyf3rqywon.gif

so u gon be the first ? fired lol.
  • Lurkristocrat
    Lurkristocrat Members Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    na im just playin much props
  • AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ended up applying for a job with this chick (chick a) that I used to work with and deal with on a somewhat intimate level at a previous job.

When I applied, I had no idea she would be the one to interview me. We didn't end on the best of terms so needless to say, I was apprehensive about it all. Interview goes well for the most part. I had experience in the position I was applying for.

So I had to meet her boss which was a dude. He seemed to like me ok I guess.

Well I didn't get the position. Came to learn that another coworker (chick b) who I smashed but was actually good friends with applied as well. Her and the other chick were actually friends too.

So chick a's boss basically told her to hire who she wanted. She chose chick b because they were friends. I forgot to mention, chick b didn't have any experience in the job.

Not even a pay period later, chick b gets a job offer for more money and bailed on chick a. Their relationship wasn't the same after that.

I still see chick a from time to time now that we are in the same building. Haha
  • fuc_i_look_like
    fuc_i_look_like Members Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DNB1 wrote: »

You have to state yo ethnicity on the application form these days. It's hard to even get an interview if they don't want my type at the company.

the apps always claim the company doesnt actually see your ethnicity u check. anybody know if thats true?
  • Ida B. Wells
    Ida B. Wells Members Posts: 46
    Options
    Before I had my own business I noticed that if I was being interviewed by a white man I would always get called back. However, if I was being interviewed by a white woman I would never get called back; even though they would always make it seem like I would; but thats just how white women are in the work place.

I later learn that it was also the experience of most of the Black women I've met in the work place.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    O
    DNB1 wrote: »

the apps always claim the company doesnt actually see your ethnicity u check. anybody know if thats true?

They always say it's voluntary to fill it out too
  • BarryHalls
    BarryHalls Members Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes, im black

My name looks foreign and when they see its a nignog i can just feel the regret (my username is the letters in my first name rearranged, V_____n)

Vivian? Your name is Vivian? You a dude?
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Got my job with no real interview post
  • Qiv_Owan
    edited July 2016
    Options
    BarryHalls wrote: »
    Yes, im black

My name looks foreign and when they see its a nignog i can just feel the regret (my username is the letters in my first name rearranged, V_____n)

Vivian? Your name is Vivian? You a dude?

? vivian has 2 Vs
    Vivian is 6 letters
    After the repetition its only 4 letters
    Theres no w, q, or o in vivian
    Yea im a dude

Got my job with no real interview post

Bruh a temp lol
  • Lady_Capoeira
    Lady_Capoeira Members Posts: 197 ✭✭
    Options
    So when I first got out of the military, I went to interview at a Kroger dairy plant (where they process and bottle milk, etc.) I needed a job bad and was applying everywhere (this was before I went back to school).

In doing my background for this company, and this plant in particular, I ran across a newspaper article about the HNIC (he really was a ? too) who grew up poor, went to school, and ended up in charge there after his journey. I had all my other stuff together but when they asked me "Why do you want to work here/for this company?" I knew I would get the job based on the answer I was about to give.

When they asked why I wanted to work there, I simply said because "I want to work for HNIC." I then continued on about the newspaper article I read about him and being inspired by his story because I could personally relate and how I hoped to be mentored by him one day, and if he can make it, I can make it type deal. I told them I literally applied here off the strength of that article.

This panel interview had to have at least 6 people interviewing me (it was crazy). Anyway, they literally stopped the interview (mid-interview) and went and got boss man so I could meet him. He came in like 5 minutes later, we shook hands, and they asked me again to tell him why I want to work here. I told him, but made it even more personal this time, and when he walked out of that room, I KNEW I had the job. We finished the "interview" but it was very light hearted the rest of the way. I got a call the very same day, that I had got the job. A ? was estatic.

Learning to manipulate people was one of the best things I have honestly ever learned.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the 48 Law of Power talked about this.

• mike06
    mike06 Members Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Options
    had a job interview yesterday for the first time in years...i think i ? it up when she asked me "so...what would you say is your biggest downfall" lol

plus i came in @ 3:02...interview was @ 3:00....smh(a ? got lost and had to tuck in his shirt in the parking lot lol)

hopefully i'll hear something soon but if not...good practice for the next one
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mike06 wrote: »
    had a job interview yesterday for the first time in years...i think i ? it up when she asked me "so...what would you say is your biggest downfall" lol

plus i came in @ 3:02...interview was @ 3:00....smh(a ? got lost and had to tuck in his shirt in the parking lot lol)

hopefully i'll hear something soon but if not...good practice for the next one

Yeah I showed up late for my internship interview because I got lost and couldn't figure out where to Park lmao

I also had to tie my tie and forgot my portfolio at home smh lmao, ? was a disaster

That's why I always go to every interview even if I don't want the job , it's good practice for the one you really want
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options