5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
edited July 2016 in The Reason
http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/547378/who-was-the-mvp-of-1993

http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/547657/who-was-the-mvp-of-1994/p1

http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/547925/who-was-the-mvp-of-1995/p1

http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/548199/who-was-the-mvp-of-1996

http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/548576/who-was-the-mvp-of-1997/p1

http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/548771/who-was-the-mvp-of-1998/p1

Lauryn Hill- dropped the Miseducation of Lauryn Hill in late '98 and it carried over into '99, winning countless awards.

Juvenile- Dropped 400 Degrees in late '98 while dropping one of the biggest hip hop records of '99 with Back Dat Thang Up. As well as the Hot Boys albums, and dropping the G Code in late '99 he was also part headlining the Cash Money/Ruff Ryders tour that year as well.

Eminem- Made his mainstream debut in '99 with the Slim Shady LP, he dominated the charts that year with hit records and had one of the top selling albums.

Snoop Dogg- had a bounce back with the Top Dogg album after 2 previously disappointing albums.

Nas- Dropped 2 albums in '99 I am and Nastradamus, I am was one of the most anticipated albums of the year.

Jay Z- Dropped Vol 2: Hard Knock Life in late 98 and it carried him into '99, had one of the biggest hip hop tours ever with the Hard Knock Life Tour, he dropped Vol 3: The Life & Times of S.Carter in late '99.

DMX- Coming off a epic '98, had himself another great year, he dropped Flesh of my Flesh Blood of my Blood in late '98 and it carried into '99, he also co headlined the Hard Knock Life Tour and dropped his 3rd album ...and There Was X in late '99.

Who Was The MVP of 1999 61 votes

Lauryn Hill
19%
a_listdwade2065th LetterDarthRozaybless the childza'kissspit_fiyasoulfulcat_Goldie_Solitary SoldierTsotsi Cape TownMR. $tatefacts 12 votes
Juvenile
29%
tharealest561infamous114aneed123the ghostHustleThaDongman82CapitalBBDBIIDStoneColdMikeyEDDIEKANEsilverfoxxTrillfatePeezy_Jenkinsdeemula420AggieLean.onetoughmiracleKnowReasonForPeaceIntelligent_Hoodlum 18 votes
Eminem
9%
water ur seedsStewKarl.Cutler 26 INT's LOL!TheGOATPreach2Teach 6 votes
Snoop Dogg
0%
Nas
3%
illedoutits....JOHN B 2 votes
Jay Z
8%
coltonIceBergTaylorTheBoyRoA$AP_A$TONBig Kola 5 votes
DMX
27%
youngnickjoeyfkncrakkPanchoYoSanchoCeLLaR-DooRBuilt 4 cuban linxLogical Truths_God_Lou CypherSheerExcellenceBabaaamatt maned1al_t0neJoshuaMoshua  bartek420QpczykJJ_EvansRevolver Ocelot 17 votes
Other (specify)
1%
smp4life 1 vote

Comments

• PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    DMX
    I kinda want to give it to X as 'Flesh of...' dropped right before 99 and "What's My Name" was hitting late in the year. His 98-00 run was legendary, but I can't fault anybody for going with Juvenile, Em or even Jay. Nas dropped the ball with 'Nastradamus' so I can't give it to him. Snoop had a good album, but nah.

You also had Eve, Method Man/Redman and Dre, tho 2001 did more damage in 2000.

It was a tough year.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Juvenile
    a ? was in highschool when back that ass up dropped..

between school dances and house parties in Cali!!?
    yeh.. ? BLESS JUVENILE for that album..
    ? Bless Cash Money period cause Bling Bling and Big Tymers shortly followed..

? was the soundtrack to my young adult life..

if u wasnt ? wit Juve back then u probably wasnt ? wit ? either..
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DMX
    Ruff Ryders were hot, but Cash Money was definitely the hottest crew in 1999. Juve exploded and the Hot Boys and BG and Wayne as solo artists all dropped their major label debuts and went platinum.

HotBoysGuerrillaWarfare.jpg
    Chopper_city.jpg
    Thablockishot.jpg
  • deemula420
    deemula420 Members Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Juvenile
    "

• smp4life
    smp4life Members Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other (specify)
    Dr. Dre
    He launched Eminem, put Snoop's career back on track, and layed the groundwork that would make Xzibit a star.
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Eminem
    Eminem AND DRE...

IMO SSLP album changed to game, then '2001' apparently dropped in 1999 (i thought it was 2000), which IMO reinvented Dre and even Snoop and aload of other West Coast artists...

Aftermath had a great run from 1999 to like the mid 2000's... You could argue they havnt stopped since...
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    edited July 2016
    Lauryn Hill
    Couldve went with Dre/Em, but I went with L Boogie. When The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill dropped, she didn't just control hiphop radio , but pop radio, mature rnb, everything. She had about 6 singles out at one time and all of em were getting HEAVY play. It's arguably the best album to come out of 99. It won album of the year at the grammys in all genres, the album's gonna be diamond in about a year or so.
  • Preach2Teach
    Preach2Teach Members Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eminem
    It was between DMX and Eminem for me, gave it to Em because he killed it with the sslp features and freestyles.
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eminem
    _Goldie_ wrote: »
    Couldve went with Dre/Em, but I went with L Boogie. When The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill dropped, she didn't just control hiphop radio , but pop radio, mature rnb, everything. She had about 6 singles out at one time and all of em were getting HEAVY play. It's arguably the best album to come out of 99. It won album of the year at the grammys in all genres, the album's gonna be diamond in about a year or so.

Whats crazy is, with only that album and her Fugees verses alone she is for me, Top3 female rapper of all time and maybe Top15 RAPPER of all time...
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about Ja Rule? I know he started picking up steam in 99. Maybe he was MVP of 2000. I'm too lazy to do a wiki search.
  • za'kiss
    za'kiss Members Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lauryn Hill
    Lauryn. Everyone else had big years in terms of sales and popularity, but she impacted the culture at its foundations.
  • AggieLean.
    AggieLean. Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Juvenile
    Juve! Take em to the club, big dawg.

That 400 degrees hit the Sip in a big way. Everyone had it jamming from their whips, and go to any club or party...they was playing the cd all the way through. I've probably purchased that album 3/4 times throughout the years.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Lauryn Hill
    5 Grand wrote: »
    What about Ja Rule? I know he started picking up steam in 99. Maybe he was MVP of 2000. I'm too lazy to do a wiki search.

He had a solid year but I didn't think he had a poll worthy year. Especially over anyone that was listed.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DMX
    Ja rule hits the MVP options in like 2001.
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nas
    Personal preference but in reality Dre, I am is probably my fav album of that year though and I had a tape with Nastradamus/Murda Musik and I think some Blackout which was the only tape we listened to for like 4 months straight in my first car
  • JJ_Evans
    JJ_Evans Members Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DMX
    This is a tie between DMX (Who still had every hood on lock) and Eminem who exploded on the scene.......

DMX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQQC1czUIQA

Eminem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9_wpVcjLWg
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lauryn Hill
    L-Boogie....
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eminem
    Eminem had ALL the white boys bleaching their hair looking like clones, coming to school like this...

Loved+that+movie+_e3eaee33b8c974663c4214b5833b17e7.jpg
  • Preach2Teach
    Preach2Teach Members Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eminem
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    Eminem had ALL the white boys bleaching their hair looking like clones, coming to school like this...

A friend of mine actually did this ? , I still rip him to this day for that ? .
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DMX
    DMX was on the radio every time I turned it on.
  • JJ_Evans
    JJ_Evans Members Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    DMX
    TheGOAT wrote: »

...........And a lot of black ones too.

chris-brown-hair-6.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg

..........And just for the hell of it

292338_full.jpg
    CJPleaDWIAElbAi.png
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Em was biting the villians from Meteor Man...

1408.gif
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eminem
    I bought MMLP on cassette that year.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Karl. wrote: »
    I bought MMLP on cassette that year.

That came out in 2000
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DMX
    X

Party Up my be his cheesiest single ever, at least it was hook wise, but that was probably his biggest song of his career.