Free State of Jones (2016) aka Thank you white savior

white sympathizer
white sympathizer Members Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXwcWY1Zrk0

Praise white jesus, we niggras aint worthy

In 1863, Mississippi farmer Newt Knight serves as a medic for the Confederate Army. Opposed to slavery, Knight would rather help the wounded than fight the Union. After his nephew dies in battle, Newt returns home to Jones County to safeguard his family but is soon branded an outlaw deserter. Forced to flee, he finds refuge with a group of runaway slaves hiding out in the swamps. Forging an alliance with the slaves and other farmers, Knight leads a rebellion that would forever change history.

Comments

• R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah bootlegging the ? out this ? ?

Funny they dropping this right before Nat Turner

Hmm
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Terrible reviews. Peep the 1 star ether Peter Travers dished out to this garbage juice:

"If you think a thick, juicy slab of Civil War history can't be boiled down to 145 minutes of speechifying, stultifying cinema, then grab a seat at Free State of Jones. Like the worst civics lesson, this movie bores away at you till your reactions are dulled.

It's a tall order and a potentially exciting one that writer-director Gary Ross (Seabiscuit, Pleasantville, the first Hunger Games) dripples away with historical footnotes that break the cardinal rule of drama: show, don't tell. Even when Newt takes house slave Rachel (Gugu Mbatha-Raw) as his common-law wife and frees another slave, Moses (Mahershala Ali), from his shackles to develop his powers as a leader, Newt remains outsider his own story, another in a long line of Hollywood's white saviors. What is this dude really thinking? What are the flaws in his character? Where is his secret heart?

Not in this movie."

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/reviews/free-state-of-jones-20160623#ixzz4Cbd5WVc5

Terrible. Show Don't Tell is the cardinal rule of good writing. C'mon bruh. That's basic.

"white savior" indeed, IRL historians debate whether Newton Knight was more of a freedom fighter or just a opportunistic criminal that married a black girl........a film that took that more complex view of dude would be wayyyyyyyy more interesting but instead they turned him into Robin Hood giving speeches about freedom.........boring.

they really wasted McConaughey here.......he should've been doing his "charismatic redneck scumbag" routine like Rust Cohle or Killer Joe........smh
    R.D. wrote: »

Hmm

Nat Turner not coming out for another 5 months, this flick will be long forgotten by then

lol save your DVDs for Finding Dory cuz
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmm

Why you watching it period?
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Waiting for Nat Turner movie
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmm

Why you watching it period?

Touché
  • mc317
    mc317 Members Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why cant we get a Black Wall street movie about some successful ? , ? ? slave ? ? jessie jackson ? ww2
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2chnfrs.jpg

This ? lost 30 mill

Lmaooooo
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    Terrible reviews. Peep the 1 star ether Peter Travers dished out to this garbage juice:

"If you think a thick, juicy slab of Civil War history can't be boiled down to 145 minutes of speechifying, stultifying cinema, then grab a seat at Free State of Jones. Like the worst civics lesson, this movie bores away at you till your reactions are dulled.

It's a tall order and a potentially exciting one that writer-director Gary Ross (Seabiscuit, Pleasantville, the first Hunger Games) dripples away with historical footnotes that break the cardinal rule of drama: show, don't tell. Even when Newt takes house slave Rachel (Gugu Mbatha-Raw) as his common-law wife and frees another slave, Moses (Mahershala Ali), from his shackles to develop his powers as a leader, Newt remains outsider his own story, another in a long line of Hollywood's white saviors. What is this dude really thinking? What are the flaws in his character? Where is his secret heart?

Not in this movie."

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/reviews/free-state-of-jones-20160623#ixzz4Cbd5WVc5

Terrible. Show Don't Tell is the cardinal rule of good writing. C'mon bruh. That's basic.

"white savior" indeed, IRL historians debate whether Newton Knight was more of a freedom fighter or just a opportunistic criminal that married a black girl........a film that took that more complex view of dude would be wayyyyyyyy more interesting but instead they turned him into Robin Hood giving speeches about freedom.........boring.

they really wasted McConaughey here.......he should've been doing his "charismatic redneck scumbag" routine like Rust Cohle or Killer Joe........smh

Hmm

Nat Turner not coming out for another 5 months, this flick will be long forgotten by then

lol save your DVDs for Finding Dory cuz

Peter Travers gives trash reviews tho

I almost never agree with him
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    McGounhey in my mans tho nh
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forgot this even came out
  • MARIO_DRO
    MARIO_DRO Members Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I LIKED THE MOVIE, IT WASNT IN MANY THEATURES....
  • King of GA
    King of GA Members Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I don't have an issue with movies like this. I do have an issue that more movies aren't made about the powerful and effective Blacks of the era...
  • KingFreeman
    MARIO_DRO wrote: »

You have to be trolling.

And ? this film and anybody that like em.
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MARIO_DRO wrote: »

You have to be trolling.

And ? this film and anybody that like em.

Whats your beef?

Its a true story based on a real person.
  • KingFreeman
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand ppl getting tired of slave films. But at the same time it's a younger generation coming up that wasn't informed or exposed to these films and stories. Especially in a time where schools and textbook's are literally trying to change history.

I saw some ? on John Oliver's show where in Texas I believe they had history book's that didn't use the word slavery. It had some ? term they made up. But I agree there needs to be a balance. It's crazy Harriet or Sojourner haven't had a movie yet.

Everybody hyped about the Nat Turner movie, hoping it turns out well and his received well by the black community.