Ok so Reigns and Ambrose title reigns have been lackluster but...

DOPEdweebz
DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
edited September 2016 in Off The Turn Buckle
When has John Cena had a better reign? When? When? when? when?

For the most part his jokes are drier than a grandmother's ? (dont ask), and he just learned how to wrestle in the last 5 years :'(

Comments

• dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reigns actually puts on entertaining matches unlike Dean, yeah he could be better on the mic but outside of the WM match with Hunter all his matches were entertaining to me, and even the wrestlemania match was ok. Deans matches are borderline trash at times.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Better question was when was the last time anyone had an above average reign

Sure seths n punks lasted long but Seth was chump booked n punk couldn't get main event half the time

Let's not even talk about Orton n cenas last reigns
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there's yet to be a significant reign..

Rusev's reign as US champ >>

that was before they had Reigns just destroy him
  • DOPEdweebz
    Better question was when was the last time anyone had an above average reign

Sure seths n punks lasted long but Seth was chump booked n punk couldn't get main event half the time

Let's not even talk about Orton n cenas last reigns

Reigns always has solid matches. He's just not a natural on the mic and could benefit from having a manager.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rusevs gimmick is boring now...

He can wrestle tho
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would consider cena's first 3 reigns good. a lot of memorable moments and matches

after that all his reigns have been one big blur
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread is why I'm happy I gave up on the 'E. When champs have blah-ass reigns, that really tears the overall product down.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    They're course correcting now with Styles and Owens.

Just wish they had better contenders than Cena and The Shield guys. They need to build up more people. Those 4 been played out.
  • DOPEdweebz
    Broddie wrote: »

Just wish they had better contenders than Cena and The Shield guys. They need to build up more people. Those 4 been played out.

I lowkey think they gonna finally push Cesaro to the moon now.
  • BeleeDatPleighboy
    BeleeDatPleighboy Members Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't necessarily see it as "correcting course" per say...like you said they are just finally building up more guys for the upper-mid/main event...

The thing that gets me...is folks are using the shield guys as scapegoats for low ratings, house show numbers etc...

when in reality it really don't matter who you put in that top spot on either show...ratings aint finna skyrocket...folks watch tv differently now and wrestling just aint as popular point blank...however now that they are finally legitimizing more talent...everything should get more enjoyable...? just gotta be patient....Egypt wasn't built in a day
  • Already Home_17

I understand cena. he's been a main eventer since 05
    but the shield haven't even been in the main event picture for that long
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seth > roman > dean
  • Broddie

Not that long yes but they have been hogging up the main event storylines going on 4 years straight. In wrestling that is a lifetime. ? beyond monotonous at this point. They desperately need to switch it up which they are now seemingly doing.
  • Broddie

I lowkey think they gonna finally push Cesaro to the moon now.

Hopefully.
  • Broddie
    edited September 2016

I don't necessarily see it as "correcting course" per say...like you said they are just finally building up more guys for the upper-mid/main event...

The thing that gets me...is folks are using the shield guys as scapegoats for low ratings, house show numbers etc...

when in reality it really don't matter who you put in that top spot on either show...ratings aint finna skyrocket...folks watch tv differently now and wrestling just aint as popular point blank...however now that they are finally legitimizing more talent...everything should get more enjoyable...? just gotta be patient....Egypt wasn't built in a day

Nobody is expecting attitude era numbers. However to act like the monotony of the same faces being rotated around repeating the same narratives and lack of real variety isn't affecting the ratings is BS.

In 2012 when they were giving new characters opportunity all across their programming ratings climbed back up for a while. They stayed in 2s and 3s for a while. Then once they clinged on to only 3 or 4 faces every week from mid 2013 till now ratings have steadily decreased. Up until recently Raw hasn't sank to 1.0 ratings since the mid 90s during the new generation. To think the current main eventers that have been in and continue to be in that spot for a minute aren't a factor into that is naive and delusional.

The truth is people who DO still watch wrestling are getting tired of the same ol same ol and want continous new blood. Hence the AJ Styles types finding great success ovet at titan towers as of late. New faces booked correctly goes a long way for the WWE audience.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ehh idk, I don't think folks have grown tired of the shield members yet, and they all have fluctuated between main event n upper mid card

The ratings imo don't come down to certain talents, it's lack of trust in the consistency of the show as a whole as well as lack of stories all throughout the card, raw has acted like they can only tell one good story at a time, as well as given away ppv matches and all the filler, smackdown is on the upswing in this department, miz/Dolph, heath, aj/dean stories all helped backlash become a great show even with a supposed lack of talent, thing is with that, smackdown has a bad stigma as the b show so it'll take some monumental wrestling ? to change that

But really ratings aren't that big a deal, with all the ways to catch both shows they can't measure true viewership imo
  • Already Home_17

Not that long yes but they have been hogging up the main event storylines going on 4 years straight. In wrestling that is a lifetime. ? beyond monotonous at this point. They desperately need to switch it up which they are now seemingly doing.

the shield haven't even been on the main roster for 4 years
    two members won their first world title only last year. the third member? this summer

y'all turn on ? quick lol they're still the present and future of this company

the shield aren't going anywhere. these are the stars fans wanted wwe to create in the first place
  • Broddie

the shield haven't even been on the main roster for 4 years
    two members won their first world title only last year. the third member? this summer

y'all turn on ? quick lol they're still the present and future of this company

the shield aren't going anywhere. these are the stars fans wanted wwe to create in the first place

Main event storylines =/= world championship angles.
  • BeleeDatPleighboy
    BeleeDatPleighboy Members Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bottom line...

We live in an instant gratification society now...it permeates through everything.

Building new stars and supporting cast takes time...? gotta be patient enought to let it happen....again Egypt wasnt built in a day
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    WWE needs to try having characters again. A clown beating one of these new ? in a ? match would be the ? . Or even one of these new ? fighting a undertaker or mankind knock off in a boiler room match.
  • Hendrix_NoJimmy
    Hendrix_NoJimmy Members Posts: 128 ✭✭
    Cena has gotten corny but its not his fault it's the writers fault alot of wrestler who could b good are bad cuz of writers

• lookdude
    lookdude Members Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ambrose thrives more with the shield gimmick