Beyond Good & Evil 2

dontdiedontkillanyon
dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
Beyond Good & Evil 2 is almost definitely in development

UPDATE: Ubisoft confirms. It's finally happening!

UPDATE 6th October 2016: Ubisoft has confirmed Beyond Good & Evil 2 is in development.

After a number of teaser images were released by series chief developer Michel Ancel, publisher Ubisoft has used the Beyond Good & Evil Facebook page to confirm the long-awaited sequel is finally in the works.

"If you've been waiting for news about BG&E... well, here you go! We are delighted to confirm that Michel Ancel is currently working with the Ubisoft Montpellier Studio on a new Beyond Good & Evil game," reads the message.

Here's hoping it actually happens this time.

ORIGINAL STORY 4th October 2016: Beyond Good & Evil developer Michel Ancel recently teased a couple of images suggesting that the long-awaited sequel to his cult-classic 2003 adventure game may actually see the light of day. Now Ancel has made it painstakingly clear that the game is being worked on - though it's only in pre-production.

"Endangered species - now saved - Game in pre-production - Stay tuned!" the Rayman creator teased on Instagram along with the following image of a familiar Rastafarian rhino mechanic:

147562227719.png

When pressed for info about what these pics are from, Ubisoft offered Eurogamer the following statement:

"Michel is currently sharing his time between Ubisoft and Wild Sheep studios. The artwork he posted is from the game he's currently working on at Ubisoft. We don't have anything further to share at this stage."

Now whatever could this mystery game be?

Ancel has been vocal about his desire to make Beyond Good & Evil 2 for some time now. A pre-rendered CGI trailer was shown way back in 2008 (before The Last Guardian was even announced!), but in 2013 Ancel told us that his vision for the project was too big for the tech of 2008. It sounds like it might have been too big for the tech of 2013 too, for that matter, as it's three years later and the project hasn't gelled beyond pre-production at this point.

Still, confirmation that Ancel is collaborating with Ubisoft on another game with anthropomorphised sharks, pigs and rhinos should excite fans.

Now who wants to place bets on what's coming out first: Beyond Good & Evil 2 or Half-Life 3?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-10-04-beyond-good-and-evil-2-is-almost-definitely-in-development-but

Comments

• Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never played the original. Is it good?

I think I have it downloaded on my X1 though.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Karl. wrote: »

It's a classic.

Is the reason this is finally happening cause Nintendo will co finance it?

It's suppose to be NX exclusive.
  • vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's aight, just like every other platformer
  • vagrant-718
    Broddie wrote: »

It's a classic.

NX exclusive is no bueno, didn't work out for bayonetta
  • Broddie

It's a classic.

Yes because Bayonetta came out for the NX.

WTF
  • vagrant-718

It's a classic.

WTF

point is it came out exclusively for a Nintendo system and was a flop. What make you think same won't happen to NX?
  • Broddie
    edited October 2016

It's a classic.

WTF

point is it came out exclusively for a Nintendo system and was a flop. What make you think same won't happen to NX?

Bravely 1 and 2 and the Monster Hunter series also came out exclusively for a Nintendo system and were great successes. What makes you think same won't happen with NX?

You see how faulty that logic is yet?

I'm a realist. I judge hardware on what it is now and not what it's predecessor was in the past. So do 99% of all other tech consumers.

Right now the NX is still a mystery. So how you can jump to that kinda conclusion without any relevant evidence even existing at this point is comedic.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'ma take this as an NX rumour fix
  • Karl.

It's a classic.

I think you're overselling it.
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bayonetta was a flop?
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never played this. I need to look up wtf the NX is capable of. I need a new Super Smash, Mario Kart, Mario Party, and Zelda.
  • Broddie

It's a classic.

Play it and see for yourself then.

Easily one of the most memorable gaming experiences I had back in the PS2/Xbox era.
  • Karl.

It's a classic.

Easily one of the most memorable gaming experiences I had back in the PS2/Xbox era.

I try and play it next week if Gears don't take up all my time.
  • Karl.

It's a classic.

I try and play it next week if Gears don't take up all my time.

no cbuttons5
  • vagrant-718
    Bayonetta was a flop?

in terms of sales, 2 was a flop.
  • vagrant-718
    edited October 2016

It's a classic.

WTF

Bravely 1 and 2 and the Monster Hunter series also came out exclusively for a Nintendo system and were great successes. What makes you think same won't happen with NX?

I'm a realist. I judge hardware on what it is now and not what it's predecessor was in the past. So do 99% of all other tech consumers.

Right now the NX is still a mystery. So how you can jump to that kinda conclusion without any relevant evidence even existing at this point is comedic.

bravely 1 and 2 never heard. Monster Hunter is already a successful series, Bayonetta is not as big. Other than nintendo only titles, 3rd party games dont sell well on nintendo systems

also i bring up bayonetta because it was originally on 360/ps3 then went exclusive to wii2, so majority of the bayonetta players are on a diff system and doubt they going to go out to buy a system just to play the sequel. Same thing applies here to beyond good and evil
  • Karl.
    I think we have to see how well the NX does before we make any assumptions. Each console should be seen separately. Can't assume it won't sell because it's a Nintendo console.

I don't believe this game is that big anyway. Just has it's niche cult following like Mirrors Edge. Whose sequel didn't sell all that well although a vocal group of fans called for it to be made.
  • Broddie
    edited October 2016

It's a classic.

WTF

bravely 1 and 2 never heard. Monster Hunter is already a successful series, Bayonetta is not as big. Other than nintendo only titles, 3rd party games dont sell well on nintendo systems

also i bring up bayonetta because it was originally on 360/ps3 then went exclusive to wii2, so majority of the bayonetta players are on a diff system and doubt they going to go out to buy a system just to play the sequel. Same thing applies here to beyond good and evil

You never heard of Bravely but the millions of gamers who own the game sure did.

3rd party games don't sell well on Nintendo systems? at least 35 - 40% of the 3DS' greatest sellers were 3rd party games.

That still doesn't make it unfaulty logic.

1) Did you know that the original Bayonetta sold 1.35 million copies worldwide across 2 platforms (360, PS3) while the sequel sold over 1 million copies worldwide on just ONE platform (Wii U).

2) Who's to say that had Nintendo not botched the marketing and brand awareness (repeating the use of the Wii brand name which lead to assumptions of a new platform being a Wii add on) of Wii U as hard as they did that the install base wouldn't have been even bigger? Which naturally would've led to Bayo 2 selling as much or even more than the original in the end.

Furthermore if you think that Nintendo did not learn anything from their Wii U mistakes going into NX then I have an island in the carribbean to sell you. For one thing they have already created a new brand name for their new platform altogether (NX) as opposed to reusing Wii yet again. Which was a very important first step.
  • Broddie
    I think we have to see how well the NX does before we make any assumptions. Each console should be seen separately. Can't assume it won't sell because it's a Nintendo console.

I don't believe this game is that big anyway. Just has it's niche cult following like Mirrors Edge. Whose sequel didn't sell all that well although a vocal group of fans called for it to be made.

BG&E was definitely a niche game.
  • vagrant-718

3rd party typically dont sell well on nintendo consoles which is why EA wont touch it
  • vagrant-718

It's a classic.

WTF

You never heard of Bravely but the millions of gamers who own the game sure did.

3rd party games don't sell well on Nintendo systems? at least 35 - 40% of the 3DS' greatest sellers were 3rd party games.

That still doesn't make it unfaulty logic.

1) Did you know that the original Bayonetta sold 1.35 million copies worldwide across 2 platforms (360, PS3) while the sequel sold over 1 million copies worldwide on just ONE platform (Wii U).

2) Who's to say that had Nintendo not botched the marketing and brand awareness (repeating the use of the Wii brand name which lead to assumptions of a new platform being a Wii add on) of Wii U as hard as they did that the install base wouldn't have been even bigger? Which naturally would've led to Bayo 2 selling as much or even more than the original in the end.

Furthermore if you think that Nintendo did not learn anything from their Wii U mistakes going into NX then I have an island in the carribbean to sell you. For one thing they have already created a new brand name for their new platform altogether (NX) as opposed to reusing Wii yet again. Which was a very important first step.

You bring up 3DS i'm bringing up nintendo console. Show me a 3rd party game that sold well recently

1)Bayonetta 1 sold 1.35mil as of 2010. What's your source on the 1 million copies of bayo 2?
    2)Doubt bayonetta 2 would've still sold since only games that sell very well on nintendo consoles are games made by nintendo.
  • Broddie
    3DS is a Nintendo console.
  • vagrant-718
    Nintendo home console then
  • Karl.
    The NX isn't a typical home console either.