Any CPAs on here??

buttuh_b
buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2010 in Strictly Business
If so do you have any advice for underclass college students planning on getting in the field?? Do you work for a large or small firm?? Did you do an internship?? etc... How long after you passed the CPA exam did it take for you to get employed??

Comments

• Legend24
    Legend24 Members Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited July 2010
    sionb55 wrote: »
    CPA ? as in accountant rite ? hhmm i only know of 2 , im not sure if anyone on the IC is one (yet) but keep on asking.

to answer ur question, out of the 2, 1 works for a small independent firm , the other works for a large gov't agency. They both did internships & it didnt take them long to get employed, the schools they went to (Ryerson University & University of Toronto) sponsored them & paid for their exam. I believe it took a month & a half for them to each get employed.

CPA's don't practice in Canada though... are you referring to a CA or did they move down to the US to get their CPA designation?

I'm currently working on getting my CA. Good luck with your program buttuh
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Yeah.. CPA = Certified Public Accountant.. pretty sure thats only for the states but I'm sure yall have a Canadian equivalent..

Sion, do you know if they do tax services or auditing or what??

Legend, good to see a fellow poster with similar interests in careers... how deep are you?? Have you applied for any internships yet or what?

I chose to get into accounting because I'm business savy but not really interested in taking too much risks... Accounting is a stable career that pays well, doesn't take a genius or a phd, demand is growing, you get to dress nice at work, always new opportunities out there... Its weird how I don't know anyone outside my school who aspires to get into accounting. Everyone always talk big about how they want to be a doctor or a lawyer when it isn't realistic for them and end up settling for way less. Wish more young minorities would take this field into consideration...
  • Tupacfan
    Tupacfan Members, Moderators Posts: 2,428 Regulator
    edited July 2010
    I've majored in finance for the my undergrad with a concentration in accounting..

I sat in for my state CPA exam, passed with flying colors and now I have my own private finanical consutling firm..

A major in accounting and finance will take you a long ways so I def recommend you to study for finance or accounting.. plus it's great return on investment in the long haul..

Good luck..
  • Legend24
    Legend24 Members Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited July 2010
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    Yeah.. CPA = Certified Public Accountant.. pretty sure thats only for the states but I'm sure yall have a Canadian equivalent..

Sion, do you know if they do tax services or auditing or what??

Legend, good to see a fellow poster with similar interests in careers... how deep are you?? Have you applied for any internships yet or what?

I chose to get into accounting because I'm business savy but not really interested in taking too much risks... Accounting is a stable career that pays well, doesn't take a genius or a phd, demand is growing, you get to dress nice at work, always new opportunities out there... Its weird how I don't know anyone outside my school who aspires to get into accounting. Everyone always talk big about how they want to be a doctor or a lawyer when it isn't realistic for them and end up settling for way less. Wish more young minorities would take this field into consideration...

The CA (Chartered Accountant) is the Canadian equivalent. I'm three years deep in my program and I'm scheduled to graduate in about 18 months. I have been doing some internship/co-op placements in the tax department with the federal government. After I graduate, I have to get a full time position with a firm to meet the requirements for my designation. Not sure if I'll be staying with the government or moving to the industry sector.

I'm pretty much in accounting for the same reasons as you. It's a rewarding career in terms of compensation and advancement opportunities... there really is no limit if you have an accounting or finance designation. People don't see it as a "cool" option but they don't realize all the benefits. I want to open my own business at some point so I thought it would be nice to have the accounting knowledge to back it up.
    tupacfan wrote: »
    I've majored in finance for the my undergrad with a concentration in accounting..

I sat in for my state CPA exam, passed with flying colors and now I have my own private finanical consutling firm..

A major in accounting and finance will take you a long ways so I def recommend you to study for finance or accounting.. plus it's great return on investment in the long haul..

Good luck..

I was just about to say the exact same thing. Guess we have more in common than just our passion for writing. Good stuff.
  • Tupacfan
    Tupacfan Members, Moderators Posts: 2,428 Regulator
    edited July 2010
    Legend24 wrote: »
    The CA (Chartered Accountant) is the Canadian equivalent. I'm three years deep in my program and I'm scheduled to graduate in about 18 months. I have been doing some internship/co-op placements in the tax department with the federal government. After I graduate, I have to get a full time position with a firm to meet the requirements for my designation. Not sure if I'll be staying with the government or moving to the industry sector.

I'm pretty much in accounting for the same reasons as you. It's a rewarding career in terms of compensation and advancement opportunities... there really is no limit if you have an accounting or finance designation. People don't see it as a "cool" option but they don't realize all the benefits. I want to open my own business at some point so I thought it would be nice to have the accounting knowledge to back it up.

I was just about to say the exact same thing. Guess we have more in common than just our passion for writing. Good stuff.

Hahaha.. No doubt legend..

I'm currently studying for the MBA with a concentration in Accounting and Finance with 8 more classes left to go! After my undergrad studies for finance, I feel in love with numbers.. Its def taking me places and providing me good income :-D