Interview tips, tricks, and info

2»

Comments

• Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    shootemwon wrote: »
    Nice. One trick I use is to listen for something they say that I can reference in a question. Like "You said this job would involve a good amount of ___________, can you give me a little be more detail on how that will relate to my responsibilities in this position?"

That's something that I like cause i think it shows you're paying attention and thinking ahead to putting in work for them, but does it sound too forced?

It shows you were paying attention but you dont want to make the interviewer feel like he's not explaining himself well enough
  • marie addams
    marie addams Members Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    edited July 2010
    is it rude to take notes during the interview?
  • marie addams
    edited July 2010
    so...I had the interview this morning. idk what to make of it....

first. the interview went well. it was smooth, and conversational.
    she noted I'd asked great questions and said she didn't have any concerns about my ability to perform the job. She also stated she liked my demeanor and thought I was very articulate

BUT

No offer was made (although she wanted me to leave my references)
    She's going to have a letter emailed for me to edit and return to her asap as a writing sample (sweating bullets because i swear me and odeisel are distant relatives)
    She did inform me there were two other candidates she was scheduled to interview early next week (is that not the kiss of death?)
    she also made mention through the more casual parts of our interview that I was the only candidate who didn't have a degree, although she knows I am in the process and strongly encouraged me to complete it no matter how long it takes.

I'm going to try to concentrate more on the positive aspects of the interview but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't heart broken once no offer was made towards the end.

*praying*
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    hit em with that letter thanking them 4 the interview
  • marie addams
    edited July 2010
    hit em with that letter thanking them 4 the interview

will do! thanks!
  • tonypulis0
    tonypulis0 Members Posts: 4
    edited July 2010
    Your tips and tricks are really nice. I like its color too much and it is very stylish model. Thanks for sharing such nice model and its information here. I like this site and will visit this site in future too.
  • marie addams
    edited January 2011
    how long after an interview should you call to follow up? (letter has already been sent btw) want the job but not trying to seem like a bugaboo or desparate (even though I am)
  • marie addams
    edited March 2011
    just wanted to drop back in and share this ebook with you all. Finally got an offer after hundreds of years of searching it seems.
    this book was really helpful it focuses on behavioral questions and includes sample answers to each question. I know a lot of people get stumped on these questions and honestly...90% of the questions in my last interview were behavioral. anywho, I tried to upload it directly on here with no luck (I think the file was too big) but i'll just pass along the download link for anyone interested in checking it out

http://uploading.com/files/m9e514b6/master%2Bbehavioral%2Binterview.pdf/
  • killap
    killap Members Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2011
    how long after an interview should you call to follow up? (letter has already been sent btw) want the job but not trying to seem like a bugaboo or desparate (even though I am)

1 week unless they say otherwise
  • KarolinaSouftoLACali
    KarolinaSouftoLACali Members Posts: 864
    edited April 2011
    just wanted to drop back in and share this ebook with you all. Finally got an offer after hundreds of years of searching it seems.
    this book was really helpful it focuses on behavioral questions and includes sample answers to each question. I know a lot of people get stumped on these questions and honestly...90% of the questions in my last interview were behavioral. anywho, I tried to upload it directly on here with no luck (I think the file was too big) but i'll just pass along the download link for anyone interested in checking it out

http://uploading.com/files/m9e514b6/master%2Bbehavioral%2Binterview.pdf/

good lookin....ima read it this weekend
  • tam
    tam Members Posts: 903
    edited April 2011
    Sum informative facts i read about what different HR people won't tell you (it's 50[facts] in all but i'ma just name a few)

- Once you're unemployed more than 6 months, you're considered pretty much unemployable. We assume that other people have already passed you over, so we don't want anything to do with you."

- "I always read resume's from the bottom up. And I have no problem reading a two page resume', but three pages is pushing it."

- "It's amazing when people come in for an interview and say, "Can you tell me about your business?" Seriously, people, there's internet. Look it up!"

- "Sometimes we'll tell you we ended up hiring someone internally---even if we didn't---just to get you off our back."

- "If your former supervisor hated you, don't give me his direct line for a reference. Instead, give me the number to HR. Most of us will give out only your dates of employment and what your title was."

- You all think you're wonderful and deserve a higher salary, but here in HR, we know the truth. And the truth is, a lot of you aren't very good at your jobs, and you're definitely not as good as you think you are."

- "I once had to fire someone with four kids right before Christmas. When he asked me why, I couldn't tell him it was because he said something in an all-company meeting that the CEO took as an insult."

- Never tell us if you were fired from a job. Your resume' will automatically go in the trash. In 90% of cases, depending on the reference immunity laws in your state and your former company's policy, we have no way of finding that out."
  • marie addams
    edited April 2011
    tam wrote: »
    Sum informative facts i read about what different HR people won't tell you (it's 50[facts] in all but i'ma just name a few)

- Once you're unemployed more than 6 months, you're considered pretty much unemployable. We assume that other people have already passed you over, so we don't want anything to do with you."

this is the ? honest truth, or it at least feels like it. I was unemployed close to a year and a half. I've never been in between jobs that long
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Since I'm moving out-of-state, and have to get back on this ? , I'd figured I'd come back her to catch up on what I might've forgot.

Good ? .

I know decorum is usually dark blue/black suit, white shirt tie, polished shoes, haircut low.

Question, back and forth, but not too much to the interviewer are good. Company knowlesge is cool cause it shows you actually give a ? .

You're dead on about previous empolyer's reason's for leaving. NEVER, EVER tell them you were fired. That's like going to the police station saying "I just ? a ? ." Besides, most employers when they fire you will have you sign confidentality papers saying legally they can't disclosure your reasons for leaving anyway.
  • cutthecrapolabuddy
    cutthecrapolabuddy Members Posts: 367
    edited May 2011
    tam wrote: »

- "I always read resume's from the bottom up. And I have no problem reading a two page resume', but three pages is pushing it."

- "It's amazing when people come in for an interview and say, "Can you tell me about your business?" Seriously, people, there's internet. Look it up!"

- "Sometimes we'll tell you we ended up hiring someone internally---even if we didn't---just to get you off our back."

- "If your former supervisor hated you, don't give me his direct line for a reference. Instead, give me the number to HR. Most of us will give out only your dates of employment and what your title was."

- You all think you're wonderful and deserve a higher salary, but here in HR, we know the truth. And the truth is, a lot of you aren't very good at your jobs, and you're definitely not as good as you think you are."

- "I once had to fire someone with four kids right before Christmas. When he asked me why, I couldn't tell him it was because he said something in an all-company meeting that the CEO took as an insult."

- Never tell us if you were fired from a job. Your resume' will automatically go in the trash. In 90% of cases, depending on the reference immunity laws in your state and your former company's policy, we have no way of finding that out."

can you post the rest or give a link?
  • J.Greenz
    J.Greenz Members Posts: 82
    edited July 2011
    Group interview tips??? What can I do, to stand out or make a great impression?
  • Idi Amin Dada
    Idi Amin Dada Members Posts: 3,192 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Have a professional presentation and use big words and you good money

On my last interview I was in a zone usin big words like repertoire,echelon and systematic and the HR lady was damn near star struck.I got offered the gig and the whole 9

Pardon me, I had to laugh at that.
  • Idi Amin Dada
    Idi Amin Dada Members Posts: 3,192 ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    J.Greenz wrote: »
    Group interview tips??? What can I do, to stand out or make a great impression?

If it's Vector, run the other way.
  • Manik Sona
    Manik Sona Members Posts: 350
    edited July 2011
    Good info here, thanks.
  • Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No matter how well your job interview goes, there’s still an awkward moment at the end when you don’t really know if you should continue the conversation or begin your goodbyes. But if you ask a positive question, you can end your interview on a high note.

Over on Medium, Marshall Darr suggests that when you interviewer is wrapping things up and asks if you have any other questions, you may want to pipe up and ask them about their own experience at the prospective company. Darr suggests you ask something along the lives of:

“I was wondering what your best moment so far at (company name here) was?”
    It might seem a little cheesy, but you’ll get your potential employer to discuss what they actually value at the company they work for, with the added plus—perhaps—of subconsciously associating you and your interview with a positive memory. It’s a simple question that can make the closing tone of your interview optimistic. And if your interviewer can’t really come up with any positive memory on the spot, well, that’s a new red flag to consider about your potential employer.