Hasbro Cinematic Universe

Options
Maximus Rex
Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2016 in Lights, Camera, Action!
gi_joe_promo.jpg
The plan is for a universe featuring Hasbro’s G.I. Joe, Micronauts, Visionaries, M.A.S.K. (Mobile Armored Strike Kommand) and ROM brands.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/hasbro-cinematic-universe-takes-shape-886316

Hasbro’s cinematic universe has assembled its writers room, with a Pulitzer Prize winner, an Eisner-winning comic book author and Marvel Studios scribes among those who will be clacking the keyboard.

Michael Chabon, who wrote the novel The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay and worked on Spider-Man 2; Brian K. Vaughan, the creator of seminal comic works Y: The Last Man and Saga and showrunner of Under the Dome; and Guardians of the Galaxy and Captain Marvel co-writer Nicole Perlman, will help develop a plan for the creation of an interconnected onscreen universe featuring Hasbro’s G.I. Joe, Micronauts, Visionaries, M.A.S.K. (Mobile Armored Strike Kommand) and ROM brands.

Also in the group are:

► Lindsey Beer, who was just hired to adapt Kingkiller Chronicle for Lionsgate
► Cheo Coker, showrunner of Marvel’s Netflix show Luke Cage
► John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein, the comedy writing team who penned Spider-Man: Homecoming
► Joe Robert Cole (a writer on People vs. OJ Simpson who is also writing Black Panther for Marvel)
► Jeff Pinkner, who wrote the adaptation of Stephen King’s The Dark Tower)
► Nicole Riegel (writer behind the Blacklist script Dogfight)
► Geneva Robertson (one of the writers of new Tomb Raider movie project).

Akiva Goldsman, who won an Oscar for A Beautiful Mind, will oversee the writers room on behalf of Hasbro and Paramount as well as serving as executive producer for all of the films. He is already serving in a similar capacity for Hasbro’s Transformers writers room and the new session is meant to build on its successful fruits and established road map.

Allspark Pictures, Hasbro’s film label, will produce the films based on this cross-property universe. Hasbro’s chairman and CEO Brian Goldner and executive vice president and CCO Stephen Davis are serving as producers. Josh Feldman, head of Hasbro’s storytelling, will co-exec produce.

The collective’s first meeting will be held Monday on the Paramount lot. Paramount is integrally involved with Hasbro’s cinematic universe and has been the company’s partner on the $3.8 billion grossing Transformers franchise as well as the G.I Joe movies.

Also on hand for the writers room will be Hasbro artists to help up draw up concepts and characters.

The room is diverse, with a strong concentration of black and women writers, something that is unusual not only in fanboy genre spheres but even in Hollywood circles, in which tentpoles tend to be written by a small circle of scribes.

“We first and foremost put together a list of writers who we wanted to be in business with and could be the world-builders that we needed, said Davis. “But we want to be sure that in the room we have diverse perspectives, diverse backgrounds and diverse experiences.”

For example, the properties involved in the universe, such as G.I. Joe and M.A.S.K., have traditionally skewed towards the male segment, but Hasbro wants to broaden the focus on the movies, to make them more inclusive. It’s a theme that already exists in the brands, Davis said.

“Female empowerment is a central theme through a lot of these properties and one of the reasons we wanted diverse voices,” he said.

Said Paramount Pictures chairman and CEO Brad Grey: "Bringing together a writers room of this caliber is a bold step for our partnership, and one that we believe is critical for building these brands into new, successful franchises for the future.”

I'm not going to ? on this because we live in a world were Marvel made arguably the most successful movie franchise out of their B and C list characters, so I'm on some "wait and see," ? . However, I will say this, as a lifelong JOE fan, (G.I. JOE is what brought me into this whole fanboy ? ,) the JOEs don't "play well with others." Meaning that out of all of these properties the JOEs are the most grounded and believable. Though they're in top physical condition, and as Gen. Hawk would say, "they make miracles look easy," the JOEs, (and COBRA for that matter,) are mere mortals that are extremely good at what they do.

One of the things that made G.I. JOE so popular was that figures and accessories used real world tech. Even the futuristic ? was based on something the military was going to use. Then there was the writing. While toy themed comics like He-Man, Sectaurs, and C.O.P.S. quickly fell by the wayside after about a year or so. G.I. JOE and Transformers got a ten year run off their initial title runs. That was because Larry Hama, (the father of G.I. JOE) treated the property seriously and gave it respect.

The problem with G.I. JOE isn't that it's based on a army men, it's because the people that are doing the movies don't "get" the property and at it's core the JOE story is a very simple story. It's a story about America's daring, highly trained special mission force! It's purpose, to defend human freedom against COBRA, a ruthless terrorist organization determined to rule the world.

So all the writers have to do is write a story about a special ops team going after a terrorist group and pick the characters from the JOEverse that want to use. ? is hella easy. Anyway, I hope it works because G.I. JOE does deserve a dope movie.

Comments

• Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What about the Transformers, Battleship and Ouija?

The worlds been begging for this so they got to do it right.

(end sarcasm)
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,480 Regulator
    Options
    Visionaries is the only one i care about.
  • trilladelic
    trilladelic Members Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hollywood ain't got an original bone left in her body smdh..
  • Rue_Flexington
    Rue_Flexington Members Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    good luck with that
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is really unnecessary.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Broddie
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Poor Paramount. This is just straight up sad. The desperation is real. Disney got them out here looking like a battered wife trying to reclaim their glory with a new ? job and hair extensions.
  • Maximus Rex
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    Poor Paramount. This is just straight up sad. The desperation is real. Disney got them out here looking like a battered wife trying to reclaim their glory with a new ? job and hair extensions.

Though I'm beyond hella biased, there's much potential in a JOEverse franchise. There's a lot of stories to be told there. Also there's potential with M.A.S.K. As far as Micronauts, Visionaries, and ROM, I don't know ? about those.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    These Hollywood execs never learn
  • Maximus Rex
    Options
    These Hollywood execs never learn

Y'all cats are killing me. Y'all said the same thing about the MCU and DCEU. Why not wait until Hasbro gets some content under their belts before you slam it.
  • Broddie
    Options

Though I'm beyond hella biased, there's much potential in a JOEverse franchise. There's a lot of stories to be told there. Also there's potential with M.A.S.K. As far as Micronauts, Visionaries, and ROM, I don't know ? about those.

To be realistic the only way any of this would work will be to first unite G.I.Joe and Transformers and take it from there. Why they're choosing to exclude Transformers from this when it's already in house is beyond me considering the amount of people those movies end up drawing in.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The transformers franchise is trash they need to scrap that whole ? and start from scratch
  • Maximus Rex
    Options
    To be realistic the only way any of this would work will be to first unite G.I.Joe and Transformers and take it from there. Why they're choosing to exclude Transformers from this when it's already in house is beyond me considering the amount of people those movies end up drawing in.

Because Transformers makes money on it's on. Who knows? Maybe that very plan is in the works.
  • Broddie
    Options

Because Transformers makes money on it's on. Who knows? Maybe that very plan is in the works.

Don't you think spining off these obscure ass long dead toylines from a billion dollar franchise is a better way to expose them to a lot of people then trying them on their own?

I mean even people from my generation (early 80s babies) don't remember most of these ? (well maybe M.A.S.K.) and they're a target demographic for these nostalgiafests.
  • Maximus Rex
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Don't you think spining off these obscure ass long dead toylines from a billion dollar franchise is a better way to expose them to a lot of people then trying them on their own?

I mean even people from my generation (early 80s babies) don't remember most of these ? (well maybe M.A.S.K.) and they're a target demographic for these nostalgiafests.

For M.A.S.K., Micronauts, Visionaries, and ROM, yes. G.I. JOE, ? no. A running joke on Hiss Tank is that the JOEs are Hasbro's red headed step bastard child at the family reunion and Hasbro really doesn't know what to do with the brand.

First and foremost, Hasbro has let the JOEs "grow up" and realize who the JOEs target demo is. That target demo are guys in their 50's, 40's 30's and possibly late 20's and it's those group of core fans that's keep this brand alive since the last Real American Hero left Aisle 7C at Toys 'R Us 25 years ago.

Hasbro and Paramount has to be bold encourage to allow for the telling of a mature story arc that involves violence, blood, and death. Imagine Winter Solider with the JOEs. Hasbro has to be flexible enough to allow the JOE to have an enemy other than COBRA Command. Hell, I was doing the movie, I wouldn't even have them fighting COBRA. I would do some 9/11 "America got caught napping," and the JOEs are formed as a result of some COBRA terrorist plot. Out of all of the brands that's in this project that has the most name recognition it's G.I. JOE (and despite being a hella biased JOE fanboy,) G.I. JOE is the one property that's strong enough to stand on it's own. As Jigga often said of Bleek, the JOE's are only one away. Meaning that their one decent script away from being the next big thing.

Again, coming from the stand point of a hella biased JOE fanboy, Hasbro and Paramount shouldn't be focusing on trying to make a universe that's isn't necessarily that far fetched into a universe that pushing the bounds of disbelief and science fiction. Instead what Hasbro needs to do is focusing in on making the JOEs relevant and I feel the best way to do that is make a movie that it's core audience will enjoy, like Marvel did. If they succeed in doing that then they can turn their attention to an animated series that can be used as a marketing tool to sell their "army men." By the way.

220px-Gitrans.jpg

I never liked this concept. Though the JOEs and the Transformers has had a long association, I feel the same way about G.I. JOE vs the Transformers as I do about the Legion of Super Pets.
  • Broddie
    edited October 2016
    Options

For M.A.S.K., Micronauts, Visionaries, and ROM, yes. G.I. JOE, ? no. A running joke on Hiss Tank is that the JOEs are Hasbro's red headed step bastard child at the family reunion and Hasbro really doesn't know what to do with the brand.

First and foremost, Hasbro has let the JOEs "grow up" and realize who the JOEs target demo is. That target demo are guys in their 50's, 40's 30's and possibly late 20's and it's those group of core fans that's keep this brand alive since the last Real American Hero left Aisle 7C at Toys 'R Us 25 years ago.

Hasbro and Paramount has to be bold encourage to allow for the telling of a mature story arc that involves violence, blood, and death. Imagine Winter Solider with the JOEs. Hasbro has to be flexible enough to allow the JOE to have an enemy other than COBRA Command. Hell, I was doing the movie, I wouldn't even have them fighting COBRA. I would do some 9/11 "America got caught napping," and the JOEs are formed as a result of some COBRA terrorist plot. Out of all of the brands that's in this project that has the most name recognition it's G.I. JOE (and despite being a hella biased JOE fanboy,) G.I. JOE is the one property that's strong enough to stand on it's own. As Jigga often said of Bleek, the JOE's are only one away. Meaning that their one decent script away from being the next big thing.

Again, coming from the stand point of a hella biased JOE fanboy, Hasbro and Paramount shouldn't be focusing on trying to make a universe that's isn't necessarily that far fetched into a universe that pushing the bounds of disbelief and science fiction. Instead what Hasbro needs to do is focusing in on making the JOEs relevant and I feel the best way to do that is make a movie that it's core audience will enjoy, like Marvel did. If they succeed in doing that then they can turn their attention to an animated series that can be used as a marketing tool to sell their "army men."

Obviously not talking about G.I. Joe since it had 2 recent movies that broke 300 million each at the box office and has been an internet meme since the days before memes even existed. They have no need to be reintroduced to the current public consciousness.

Also the one thing most people liked about G.I. Joe movies were the fact that they embraced the fun and joy of being based on toys and cartoons. Despite having average go nowhere scripts and some heavy miscasting they didnct shy away fron ridiculousness and those were the more endearing parts of those movies.

This idea that escapist entertainment should be reflective of our cynical real world is one of the most misguided things I ever seen. Seems like most people who go to the movies feel the same way.

Judging by the way so many "grounded" blockbuster genre movies are now really underwhelming or flopping while unapologetically escapist fare like Jurassic World and Pirates of the Carribbean do better than ever.
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    man to be honest I don't want to relive my childhood. i'm good on this. they ? transformers, the smurfs , fat alber, and g.i. joe. enough is enough.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Some dope writers tho
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They Need To Straighten Out The Polly Pocket Direct To DVD Omniverse Before This...Those Story Lines Are Incoherent As ?

Also Is Sesame Street And The Muppets In A Shared Universe Since Kermit Exists In Both? I Really Wanna See Cookie Monster And Animal Trade Blows....#nobertandernie....Jim Henson Studios Is ? Up

• K_Fisher
    K_Fisher Members Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hmm when I hear the team "Universe" in relation to these movies..I just think "Milk the cash cow for all it's worth"