Becky Is At It Again, Clowns Indians With "Trail of Tears," Banner At High School Football Game

Maximus Rex
Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
This harkens back to a this thread,Girls High school Basketball Poster Dubbed 'Insensitive' http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/551133/girls-high-school-basketball-poster-dubbed-insensitive/p1[/b]

Ohio high school cheerleaders taunt opposing ‘Indians’ with ‘Trail of Tears’ banner
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/10/29/ohio-high-school-cheerleaders-taunt-opposing-indians-with-trail-of-tears-banner/

cheerleaders.jpg

By Marissa Payne October 29

A high school cheerleading team in southern Ohio went viral Friday night for a controversial taunt directed at the opposing team nicknamed the Indians. The cheerleaders, representing Greenfield’s McClain High School, held up a banner after traveling to the game against the Hillsboro Indians that read, “Hey Indians, Get ready for a Trail of Tears Part 2.”

The Trail of Tears, of course, is the name the Cherokee gave the U.S. government’s forced relocation march in the 1800s, which led to the deaths of thousands of Native Americans. The banner drew instant backlash on social media.

According to Columbus’s NBC affiliate, McClain High School posted an apology on Facebook after the game, which Hillsboro won, 43-40, but later deleted it for unknown reasons.

“Tonight an event occurred that does not reflect the values or beliefs that we try to instill in the students of McClain High School,” the Facebook post said, according to NBC4. “An immediate apology was issued to both the principal and athletic director of Hillsboro High School. We would also like to apologize to the citizens of Greenfield for the poor reflection on our community. This matter will be addressed internally.”

As of Saturday morning, the school had not publicly commented since deleting the Facebook post.

Some members of McClain’s Marching Band, however, decided to take action of their own. Late Saturday afternoon, they sent an email to The Post apologizing on behalf of the cheerleaders “racist and offensive banner.”

“That is not what our school is about, and it appalled our community to know that our cheerleaders would do something like that,” Cheyenne Watson wrote on behalf of the band. “The cheerleaders are an extension of our school as much as the band, and we want everyone to know that not all of Greenfield is this way.”

While the condemnation of the banner was near-universal, some also criticized Hillsboro for nicknaming its team the Indians.

This is far from the first time Native American-inspired sports teams’ nicknames have been criticized. The Washington Redskins, Atlanta Braves and more have been roundly criticized for what many see as racist appropriation.

Most recently, the Cleveland Indians — playing in the World Series against the Chicago Cubs — are being roundly criticized for their racially insensitive mascot Chief Wahoo, whose cartoon visage features prominently on players’ hats. At least one sports announcer has also refused to use the Cleveland team’s nickname during broadcasts.

“For the rest of my career I will not say ‘Indian’ or ‘Brave,’ and if I was in the NFL I would not say ‘Redskins,’ ” Jerry Howarth, who does play-by-play calls on Toronto Blue Jays games, said earlier this month on “The Jeff Blair Show” on Toronto’s Sportsnet 590 The FAN.

Boy, boy, boy. Trump has got these racist white supremacists CACs going HAM in 2016. I can honestly say that one of the few things that I learned about in junior high and high school U.S. history was the "Trail of Tears," and due to the fact that these dumb racists ? wrote "Get Ready For a Trail of Tears Pt. 2," shows that they're familiar with the history concerning The Trail of Tears and decided to go with it anyway. Then again minorities need to stop expecting CACs to show us any sympathy in regards to our history or concerns.

Comments