? NY Judge who let Akai Gurley's killer ? pig off. Let's 2 more pigs off who beat a Blk teen.

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn/brooklyn-judge-acquits-nypd-officers-accused-beating-teen-article-1.2883959
Brooklyn judge acquits two NYPD officers accused of beating teen

A Brooklyn judge cleared two NYPD officers of any wrongdoing for beating and pistol-whipping a suspect, cracking his teeth.

Officers David Afanador and Tyrane Isaac were acquitted after a week-long bench trial in front of Brooklyn Supreme Court Justice Danny Chun.

Some in the courtroom burst into tears as Chun read five not guilty verdicts.

"We are grateful the court listened to all the evidence. It is my sincere hope that Kaheem gets the help he needs because he's a lost individual," said Isaac's attorney Stephen Drummond outside of court.

"We are gratified that the court gave an appropriate verdict. These police officers acted in good faith. They deserve this verdict," said Afandor's attorney Stephen Worth.

In the caught-on-camera incident, Afanador, 35, allegedly uses his service weapon to ? 16-year-old Kaheem Tribble's bottom teeth as Isaac punched him while trying to handcuff him.

The pair were in uniform on anti-crime patrol on Aug. 29, 2014 weekend leading up to the West Indian Day Parade in Crown Heights.

A third officer noticed Tribble on the sidewalk on St. John’s Pl. at 2 a.m. holding a plastic bag and grabbing his waistband.

Issac, 36, got out the unmarked car, identified himself and Tribble took off running.

The teen admitted he had 17 Ziplock bags of marijuana he intended to sell.

Tribble, now 18, has three outstanding criminal cases in Brooklyn and Queens since the incident.

Chun, who also presided over the manslaughter trial of disgraced ex-cop Peter Liang, heard all the evidence and cleared the officers of assault, attempted assault and weapons charges.

“Officer Isaac will continue his service with the NYPD," said Drummond.

Afanador and Isaac refused comment after the not guilty verdict as they left Brooklyn Supreme Court with their family and fellow officers.

http://gothamist.com/2016/11/23/cops_skate_after_pistol-whipping_te.php

Over the course of the weeklong trial, Afanador admitted to slapping Tribble with a marijuana bag and saying, "You did all this for weed?" But he claimed to not have intentionally pistol-whipped the youngster, who said the blow from the gun cracked his teeth.

"I lunged forward screaming get on the...ground," Afanador testified. "As I motioned forward, his eyes got wide and he went to the ground."

Asked if his gun made contact, he said he didn't remember. "I didn't feel the contact," he said.

He also claimed that it was too dark for him to see Isaac's haymaker.

"I’m grateful the court listened to all the evidence," Isaac’s attorney Stephen Drummond said after the verdict came down. "It is my sincerest hope that Mr. Tribble get the help he needs."

"These police officers acted in good faith. They deserve this verdict," Afanador’s lawyer Stephen Worth said.

Afanador had faced as many as seven years in prison on a felony assault charge as well as official misconduct and gun possession counts, and Isaac had faced up to a year's imprisonment on misdemeanor assault and official misconduct charges.

In a statement, acting District Attorney Eric Gonzalez said, "We respect the Court's decision, but are disappointed by today's verdict as we believe that these police officers' conduct, as depicted in the video, amounted to an excessive and unnecessary use of force. My office remains steadfast in its resolve to investigate and prosecute all cases of apparent police brutality."

The not-guilty verdict was delivered by Judge Danny Chun. He is the same judge who reduced a manslaughter conviction against Officer Peter Liang for inadvertently shooting and killing Akai Gurley in 2014 and sentenced Liang to probation, and who sentenced two members of a Hasidic Jewish neighborhood patrol group who admitted to participating in the 2013 beating of a ? black college student, which left the man blind in one eye, to community service.

Both Afanador and Isaac were placed on desk duty following the incident—Afanador was initially suspended without pay—and both appear to have made out well while awaiting trial. City payroll records show that both officers made over $95,000 in 2015 on base salaries of $76,500, presumably through overtime. In 2016, that figure jumped to $99,000 for Isaac, and $124,500 for Afanador, from base salaries of $78,000.

Similarly, Officer Daniel Pantaleo, one of several officers who killed Eric Garner in Staten Island in 2014, made $120,000 with overtime from a comparable base salary in fiscal year 2016, and cops placed on modified duty following the killing of Ramarley Graham and a head-stomping caught on video in Bedford-Stuyvesant also got overtime pay bumps while working desk duty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUjQFUnD914

Comments