Modern day feminist, SJW's, & raging lesbians try manspreading for a week.

Options
13»

Comments

• atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    LordZuko wrote: »
    LordZuko wrote: »
    @desertrain10
    I'm glad you admit this is stupid too lol

@? can yall stop acting like these ? fringe "movements" mean anything? Regular level headed women pay no mind to them and neither should yall.

Of course y'all Gonna denounce it because it looks crazy and this is the edited final product. But this is buzzfeed a major online medium, so let's not act like this is Some fringe group.
    ? do you know what fringe means?

...........do you think you'll see any women doing this outside of the video that's been posted in this thread? Do you think anybody irl will be discussing this seriously outside of this thread?

This ? will be forgotten about in a day or 2. It doesn't mean anything.

Boy that was a whole topic last year. Manspreading and catcalling. So Don't say fringe when cnn and msnbc are doing spots on it.

Do. You. Know. What. Fringe. Means????
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Third wave feminism is making feminism in general look flabby and sick. It's a borderline joke.
  • Koltrain
    Koltrain Members Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Didn't watch..
  • (Nope)
    (Nope) Members Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Women shrink themselves to accommodate men, but manspreading is a poor metaphor for oppressive norms without some frame of reference. This argument was not framed properly.

I'm not sure what the purpose of 'manspreading' is if it is uncomfortable for you? What useful data was collected from this experiment?

If they had asked fellow passengers how their simulated 'manspreading' afffected them they would have qualitative data. If they had sought out men 'manspreading' and sat next to them to see if they would accommodate them then they would have quantifiable data. If they asked women who were unaware (without bias) of 'manspreading' to simulate 'manspreading' and make phenomenological observations they would have a legit experiment.

If they were just trolling men that were manspreading, I could dig it.

Someone mind explaining this to me because I'm not sure what this exercise accomplished. It just doesn't seem like a practical way to raise awareness or actuate change.

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    That ? borders on insanity.

This video has really opened my eyes to some previous comments on this board about how a lot of feminist really want to emasculate and feminize men. This ? said they are trying to bring men closer to the middle.

I'm asking the middle of what exactly?

@desertrain10 can you watch the video and explain to me what exactly some feminist mean by trying to bring men closer to the middle.

Manspreading or whatever is popular in white feminist discourse

But it's just suppose to me an example of how women are conditioned to shrink themselves: we are raised to sit with closed legs, to not talk or laugh too loudly, to not be seen or heard, to take up as little space in the world as possible

And with men it's the opposite

This trickles down into every aspect of our lives: from how we sit and where we choose to sit, to what we say and how we decide to say it, to what we wear and how we’re treated

I admit it's not that great of a example, talking point

And as a Blk woman I have sort of different perspective

Growing up in certain environments being direct, aggressive, "loud" etc is a matter of survival for both men and women

But going a lot of times going into largely white spaces, for Blk men and women, we are punished for it

So you still going to say black feminists aren't poisoned by white feminist rhetoric? The most obnoxious chick in the video was arguably the black one.

again I think using "manspreading" as a talk point was dumb...

and many white feminist have a blindspot when it comes to race and white privilege, which many blk feminist have been highly critical of dating back to the women's suffrage movement

but I agree with the thesis that women are conditioned to shrink themselves in ways men are not

I am surprised at you. Do you realize that you are encouraging these guys' anti-feminism?

Even if you aren't too passionate about this particular issue, what you're saying is not helping your advocacy of feminism.

Also, maybe you might be more passionate about it if you were frequently in those situations where you have to make yourself smaller (e.g. if you used a subway to get around).

lol

maybe dumb was too strong a word

but ultimately i believe viewers are suppose to go on to question the social constructs of gender

i just don't think manspreading or at least the way the issue was presented in the video was counterproductive

and no, i don't use public transportation much anymore

No dumb was just right. There may be as you say instances where women are expected to make themselves seem smaller. I can't think of any, but I'm not a woman. Although, you'd think if there were real examples, these people could have come up with something better than this manspreading ? . However, ya'll chicks are crazy as hell if you really think that dudes are sitting down and spreading their legs thinking, I have to make myself seem bigger than these women.

And you know what the typical reaction from half these ? would be if chicks started doing that ? :

"Yo dawg, you saw that chick on the train with her legs spread?"
    "Hell yeah, she was showin' off that monkey and it was phat too."

Again, ? will not be on there thinking, how dare her spread her legs like that, she's supposed to make herself smaller than me.
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I fail to see the point

By "manspreading" are they trying to "get back at men"? Like fr for what is this?

Edit: And ? no I'm not watching that video
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I finally watched this vid.

Oh these poor martyrs taking up all that space like a man, it must have been sooooo hard for them..
  • BackInWhite
    BackInWhite Members Posts: 23,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    From burnt bras to open legs
    Panties are some man made evil ? too
    And men have always suppressed women's natural urge to send nudes
    To me
    Fight the power ladies
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Will Somebody explain to me just exactly why a woman making herself feel smaller is a bad thing