LMS Debate: solemnsauce vs Kai. Should a world court be formed...

2stepz_ahead
2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen of the IC

Today we have: @SolemnSauce vs @Kai

the topic:

Should a WORLD COURT be formed to prosecute people arrested in foreign countries?

@SolemnSauce is against
@Kai is for

Solemn is first

The same rules apply: no plagiarism, 5 posts each, any in-between posts related to the topic will count.

We ask that the audience Please keep all your opinions until the end of the debate.

Ok

Good luck and Lets Get it!

Comments

• 2stepz_ahead
    before we start let's take a minute to pray.

lawd knows this man needs all the help he can get.

I ask that you be with him in his time of need.

let's not think about what's about to happen to this man. but let's remember the good times. the times he made us laugh. the happy times.

the lawd is good.

Amen..

now you may begin
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    This going to be an embarrassment
  • SolemnSauce
    SolemnSauce Members Posts: 15,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simply put, a world court is a bad idea. And its shown clearly in America with laws like stop and frisk, and stand your ground.

Or like in my own state where its a law where you cant dance on the court steps on a sunday.

Imagine if you visited my state not knowing that law and did a dance for a vine video and got arrested and prosecuted even though you are from out of state and didnt know that absurd law.

Not to metion the countless laws overseas which the other debate team may know, that would seem nonsensical to my counterparts and I here in the states.

Clearly put, deportation and bans from coutries on the face of crimes outside of murder and thief, which are based on morals and not legal anywhere, should be the main actions when it comes to crimes outside of you home country.
  • Kai
    Kai Members, Moderators Posts: 704 Regulator
    edited December 2016
    Edit: I see now that allergens is supposed to go first, so edited my post and will wait patiently

Side note, y'all really want this loss putting me against allergens huh lol

• MissK
    MissK Members Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LMAO at allergens debating-especially Kai!
  • Kai
    Yes because it is the only way to prosecute things like war crimes that really have no jurisdiction. It also had the precedent set by things like the international court of justice and the international military tribunal, the latter of which oversaw the Nuremberg trials.

World courts are necessary for global scale crimes such human sex trafficking or war crimes or in other instances where issues of jurisdictional overlapping would otherwise result in non prosecution or lengthy legal entanglements

World courts could also increase the efficacy and purpose of global bodies like the UN by making their conventions and accords enforceable and legally binding which they are not currently. Essentially world courts would be used to prosecute crimes against humanity on a global scale

• SolemnSauce
    edited December 2016
    The argument you are making is placing alot of power in the hands of bureaucracies ,that have shown that they can be easily influenced by politics. A world court would have made it so edward snowden couldnt have exposed what he did about my own goverment in the states. Or the corruption julian assange exposed with world goverments.

Since we are on a hiphop message board, think of a man like Freddie Gibbs, think about how hiphop has taken hold in places in Europe where they want to make cases against immigration from Afican Countries. You dont think having Gibbs, a major black artist from the states where hiphop was created. As the poster boy for how they feel poltically about blacks wouldnt have been a place to make a statement?

You yourself are in threads on this same forum condemning the actions of police and goverment. And know you want to put more power and faith in a world goverment to do as they are supposed to. Was the cop who shot walter scott supposed to fire on him as he ran? Were the cops who murdered freddie gray supposed to get off based on the fact that they are "law enforcement"?

Where would be the checks and balances to a world court? Who elects those that judge? Which country has the most influcence on what the sentences would be? Why would an anverage Englishman cares about what happens to a blackman not from his country if the narrative is that he is a career criminal in the states.

Nevermind that he may have left the states to be a contractor abroad because his felon title prevented him from getting a job in the states.
  • AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    is Kai claiming the US in this one?

i hope so
  • SolemnSauce
  • SolemnSauce
    this cheerleadin ass ? Ap
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    I think Allergens rope a doped yall ? lol
  • Kai
    I would argue counter to your points about police brutality that a world court system would be a much better method to achieve justice because from what we can see black people aren't getting much justice now. For example, police officers are rarely if ever charged or prosecuted because of the ? buddies system of federal and lower court justice, where prosecutors who are usually on the side of the victim are placed in a conflict of interest because the police are more usually than not their allies

They collude with the police and are on the same side of the adversarial approach to justice in every other insurance where the defendant is not police. So it should and had come as no surprise that police officers are rarely charged or at most are tried in bungled persecutions set up get them off. That is not justice

A world court system would remove this bias because the prosecutors would not be the good friend of the police officer that had worked with her or she on a multitude of cases. It would be an impartial third party. A world court would also eliminate the technicalities police get off on such as fear for ones own life "forcing" the officer to react in a deadly manner if such matters were prosecuted as violations of human rights

World courts could also be used to challenge things like whether it is a violation of human rights to not have de-escelation tactics or have shoot to ? procedures in place.

• SolemnSauce
    All of that said and our police and goverment arent even the most corupt in the world. You just put our goverment as an example of what goes wrong in the court system its not even the worst.

Thats like saying the we cant trust the semi smartest kid on the short bus to not start fires, so lets trust the dumbest kid on the short bus to do so. For what america is, many people who have been in the military can tell you its still like the stoneage in many places of the world compared to America. But lets trust a collective for those goverments to make choices on citizens who dont orginate from those places.

Why not, I mean America went to war on the bases of 911. But when John Stewert went to congress to help pass the 911 bill to help families affected by 911. He was met with road block after road block. Because even tho its open and shut, many members of the goverment who morally should have an obligation to push this through immediately, said.

Well this is open and shut, let me add money into this bill for ? in my state so i can use federal funds to pay for ? in my state and make me look like im a good politician so i can keep my job. Then someone would fight that action and it became fight after fight after fight. Till it took months for something thats open and shut. And again, morally how could you do something like that, takes a evil self centered person to do such things

And like i said, "OUR GOVERNMENT ISNT EVEN THE MOST CORUPT". Yet you trust that system initally set up only to prosecute war crimes and things like sex trafficking, for one. Will stay only as the judge and jury for only those things. Two, wont be at all politically movatived to do whats not morally right. And three, wont try to expand their powers beyond what their main cause was and is?

Thats how we got federal taxes, thats how the partiot act allowed you phone and internet to be tapped, thats how states are allowed to Annex private property that you own to build a freeway in your back yard. Power breeds coruption, but you trust other countries with more power when the examples of what it does are right in your face.

• 2stepz_ahead
    oh ? ....its competitive
  • Kai
    edited December 2016
    A world court is not other countries in the sense that it is an impartial system of appointed officials capable their apt fields. This could include human rights attorneys, judges learned in cases of relevance.

You're arguments are nonsensical and all over the place. You seem to be saying that since there is corruption in government that higher levels have higher amounts and that all other countries are more corrupt than the US. None of these claims have you or can you prove.

A world court could have no standing in matters that lie within the jurisdiction of a state or country. The purpose a world court is not to override the laws of a given state or country, but to provide a legal framework in places where jurisdiction is up for contention. For example, an Australian man who committed sex crimes in the Philippines let's say, could not be tried in Australia for those crimes but could in the Philippines where he is much more likely to bribe his way out of it. Criminals like him could be tried in a world court for violating the human rights of the children he assaulted.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    oh we in this thang!

popcorn_yes.gif
  • SolemnSauce
    edited December 2016
    Kai wrote: »
    A world court is not other countries in the sense that it is an impartial system of appointed officials capable their apt fields. This could include human rights attorneys, judges learned in cases of relevance.

You're arguments are nonsensical and all over the place. You seem to be saying that since there is corruption in government that higher levels have higher amounts and that all other countries are more corrupt than the US. None of these claims have you or can you prove.

A world court could have no standing in matters that lie within the jurisdiction of a state or country. The purpose a world court is not to override the laws of a given state or country, but to provide a legal framework in places where jurisdiction is up for contention. For example, an Australian man who committed sex crimes in the Philippines let's say, could not be tried in Australia for those crimes but could in the Philippines where he is much more likely to bribe his way out of it. Criminals like him could be tried in a world court for violating the human rights of the children he assaulted.

That already happens Kai, extradition happens on a federal level when its requested by the country that that person return to their home country to face persecution for crimes commited in that country. Say they commited crimes in Australia and fled to the Phillipines. And thats a whole nother subject.

I dont think you understand the concept of what a world court would be. It would be a centralized location of judges in an appointed legal system based on global law. Like the star fleet in star trek, you are arguing for a system that is already in place.

And as far as the US not being the most corrupt. Why do you think jobs are shipped over seas, cause the CEO's like to vactation? Its because corrupt goverments have corrupt laws that we dont have and wont fly in the US. Like basic child labor laws.
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Sion wrote: »
    Jobs are shipped overseas because it's cheaper to produce goods and services and pay for labour not because of ? corruption or lack of laws SMMFH HAHAHAHAHAA

No tag teamin my ? lol
  • SolemnSauce
    dead at missK gettin ghost on her girl..

Sion, thats a violation of the rules..2stepz thats a disqualification