Stash of Water May Be Lurking Deep Beneath Earth's Surface. Science confirms what ? said, AGAIN!

Options
DoUwant2go2Heaven
DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2016 in The Social Lounge
https://www.yahoo.com/news/stash-water-may-lurking-deep-152000692.html

A trove of water may be hiding more than 250 miles (400 kilometers) beneath your feet.

That's where the Earth's mantle meets the crust. Geoscientists had long thought that below this transition zone (starting at 255 miles, or 410 km, deep) a water-filled mineral called brucite was unstable and so decomposed, sending water molecules flowing toward the planet's surface.

But new research suggests that before brucite — which is 50 percent magnesium oxide and 50 percent water — decomposes, it transforms into another, more stable 3D structure. The finding, detailed online Nov. 21 in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, means there's a stash of water located deeper in Earth than was previously thought. [In Photos: Ocean Hidden Beneath Earth's Surface]

"[This finding] was not entirely expected," said study co-author Andreas Hermann, a lecturer in computational physics at the University of Edinburgh in Scotland. "[That's] because people have studied this material for decades and nobody ever thought of looking whether there would be another phase before it eventually fell apart."

Probing deep Earth

Scientists previously believed that brucite remained stable only as far as the transition zone, a 155-mile-deep (250 km) layer just below the upper mantle. In part, the mineral's structure informed this view. Brucite is a layered material in which the molecules in each layer are strongly bound to each other but weakly connected to other layers. A material like this, if squeezed with enough pressure, must undergo some kind of change. Researchers previously assumed that in response to transition zone pressure, which reaches about 200,000 atmospheres, brucite would crumble. (One atmosphere is approximately is the pressure at sea level).

Unable to probe the deep Earth directly, Hermann and his co-author, Mainak Mookherjee, a professor of geology at Florida State University, used quantum-mechanical calculations, analyzing various possible structures for brucite in deep-Earth conditions.

"This is big-data computing," said Hermann. "We create thousands of structures, optimize them all and do calculations accurate enough that if something stands out as more stable than something else, we can reliably say that it is so."

Brucite is a well-studied and relatively simple mineral. Even so, Hermann said that the key to the new calculations was ignoring existing assumptions about brucite. After several months of running various structures through their computer program, the researchers found a previously unknown phase of brucite that would be able to withstand the high pressures found in the lower mantle.

Even with this new phase of brucite, scientists are still unable to directly measure the amount of the substance in the mantle or how much water the mineral holds. However, Hermann and Mookherjee did work out the elastic properties of the new phase of brucite. Knowing this, said Hermann, seismologists may be able to detect how much brucite is in the mantle because the signatures of earthquakes differ based on the elasticity of the rock through which they travel.

Why brucite matters

Current estimates suggest that the deep Earth may hold as much water as all the oceans on the planet's surface combined. This reservoir of water, and the additional trove brucite may also hold, are vitally important to the movement of materials through the Earth. As water-containing minerals travel down through the Earth's layers, the materials eventually decompose, releasing the water that makes its way back to the surface, often through volcanic activity. [Infographic: Earth's Tallest Mountain to Its Deepest Ocean Trench]

Water is essential to the recycling of minerals through volcanism and plate tectonics, because it provides the lubrication needed for the various rock materials to move past each other, as occurs in subduction zones. It also helps some materials dissolve as the move through the rock cycle. Without water, said Hermann, the planet would come to a geologic standstill. This means no new crust or soil, and a halt in volcanism; these changes could have catastrophic effects on the planet's land and atmosphere.

Aside from potentially changing scientists' understanding of water reservoirs far below the Earth's surface, Hermann said this research champions a new way of thinking about the deep Earth in general. The researchers would not have found this new phase if they had favored the accepted version, he said.

"In the six hundredth year of Noah’s life, in the second month, on the seventeenth day of the month, on that day all the fountains of the great deep burst forth, and the windows of the heavens were opened."
Genesis 7:11

6eac4-noahs-ark1.jpg

You can't fight ? and win!

@dwade206
@not_osirus_jenkins
@Inglewood_B
@BOSSExcellence
@VIBE
@babelipsss
@Ajackson17
@kingblaze84
@stringer bell
@Preach2Teach
@Copper
@Ether44mag
@BiblicalAtheist
@RickyRich
@konceptjones
@Cleveland7venty6
@nawledge_?
@The_Jackal
@The Lonious Monk
@geeboy
@HundredEyes
@Turfaholic
@Lab Baby
@jniam
@Karl.
@Stomp Johnson
@LordZuko
@Trillfate
@Lou_Cypher

jspop.gif

Comments

• huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this is common knowledge tho
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited December 2016
    Options
    huey wrote: »

Then why do people deny that the flood happen if it's common knowledge?
    People always say "Where did all the water come from if the whole world was flooded?"

And People who believe that ? is true, like me, always tell them that the water came from where ? said it came from.

And ? said that the waters came from beneath the surface of the earth and from the water canopy above.

"In the six hundredth year of Noah’s life, in the second month, on the seventeenth day of the month, on that day all the fountains of the great deep burst forth, and the windows of the heavens were opened."

Science again confirms what's already been known and said, but yet you will still find people who will flat out deny ? and true science.

Sad, but true.

• RickyRich
    RickyRich Members Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

People always say "Where did all the water come from if the whole world was flooded?"

And People who believe that ? is true, like me, always tell them that the water came from where ? said it came from.

And ? said that the waters came from beneath the surface of the earth and from the water canopy above.

Science again confirms what's already been known and said, but yet you will still find people who will flat out deny ? and true science.

Sad, but true.

Dont be taggin me in ? . Im not denying ? at all . I do believe there is a ? but i dont need u to preach ? to me
  • not_osirus_jenkins
    not_osirus_jenkins Members, Banned Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You know what, you're a ? DoU. In the first sentence of that ? article it says 'may'. Now any other ? time someone or something says 'may', you'll dismiss it because it's not absolute. Like aliens may exist, ? may not exist, etc. But if it fits your goofy ass narrative then it's ok. Look, i don't care if ? is real, I don't care if Jesus died for me, I don't care about sin, heaven or hell. I'm going to continue to 'sin' and be an overall ? of a person. NOTHING will change that.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    Options
    RickyRich wrote: »

Sad, but true.

Dont be taggin me in ? . Im not denying ? at all . I do believe there is a ? but i dont need u to preach ? to me

Praise ? for your faith my friend. I was just wondering though @RickyRich
    If you believe that there is a ? , why are you so hostile toward ? ?
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    Options
    You know what, you're a ? DoU. In the first sentence of that ? article it says 'may'. Now any other ? time someone or something says 'may', you'll dismiss it because it's not absolute. Like aliens may exist, ? may not exist, etc. But if it fits your goofy ass narrative then it's ok. Look, i don't care if ? is real, I don't care if Jesus died for me, I don't care about sin, heaven or hell. I'm going to continue to 'sin' and be an overall ? of a person. NOTHING will change that.

Love will change you though my friend. That is why I demonstrate it so that you will know that people do care about you and your soul. For how can you know what true love is unless someone takes the time to demonstrate it? And guess what? There is no greater love than what Jesus demonstrated on the cross for you. Hallelujah.

I just want whats best for you and your eternal soul. I love you my friend. Amen.
  • RickyRich
    Options

Sad, but true.

Im not hostie towards ? lol . Im jus sayin if ? goes down aint ? we can do about it.
  • RickyRich
    Options

Dead.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    Options

Sad, but true.

Im not hostie towards ? lol . Im jus sayin if ? goes down aint ? we can do about it.

Amen. No one can stop the coming judgment. That is true. But what we can do is prepare. For a prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions; but the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences. Therefore my mission is to be the watchman on the wall crying out to the world to be prudent for the danger is coming. I care for your soul and where you will spend eternity my friend. We are brothers made from the same dust of the earth and have the same blood flowing through us. We share a common bond my friend. Hallelujah.

You see If people would love more the world would be better, but sadly people want to hate, curse each other out, and be filled with pride. But I am not here to do any of that. I am here to love you my friend and show you that there is a way called love where your soul can be at peace forever if you walk in it. Amen.
  • RickyRich
    Options
    Do u have a job ?
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    Options
    Do u have a job ?

Yes I do. Hallelujah!
  • Preach2Teach
    Preach2Teach Members Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Praise be to the lord!
  • not_osirus_jenkins
    not_osirus_jenkins Members, Banned Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Dead.

Bruh I can't ? this ? off at all lmao.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm going to leave this here

8a937b7c2319be52c09a40bf74d6c400.jpg
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This doesn't prove the Bible ? is real though, I don't see it feeding the starving homeless people I see on my way to work everyday.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    Options
    This doesn't prove the Bible ? is real though, I don't see it feeding the starving homeless people I see on my way to work everyday.

That's why ? is sending you out to work so that you can demonstrate your love for your neighbor by loving him/her as yourself.
  • kingblaze84
    edited December 2016
    Options

That's why ? is sending you out to work so that you can demonstrate your love for your neighbor by loving him/her as yourself.

And meanwhile, the homeless people out there are still freezing and starving to death. While the lazy Bible ? sits on its ass and does nothing. That's not a real ? , more like a lazy fantasy.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    Options

And meanwhile, the homeless people out there are still freezing and starving to death. While the lazy Bible ? sits on its ass and does nothing. That's not a real ? , more like a lazy fantasy.

Sounds like you need to be more of a neighbor my friend. Amen.
  • kingblaze84
    Options

Sounds like you need to be more of a neighbor my friend. Amen.

I help the homeless a lot. Maybe the lazy Bible ? needs to be the better neighbor.