• MrCrookedLetter
    MrCrookedLetter Members Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike Will Made It
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jazzybella wrote: »
    ? need to listen to the lyrics....

We heard the lyrics tho she isnt saying anything profound or new LOL
    Its just "important" because its Beyonce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyj-ZTI4t0c

Nobody taking away from the message but Idc for Beyonce speaking pro-black now. Kendrick did 2 Untitled race relation songs & performed ontop of a police car on live TV, which led to those crackas on Faux News crying about it. This is without even mentioning "Alright" and "Blacker the Berry" Cole marched in Washington. Beyonce late to the party. I think its great she donated to BLM and she has a song embracing black culture but..... these are things she could have been doing. So it doesnt feel very genuine. Harry Belafonte was right to an extent about Jay & Bey. Y'all dont hold these folks accountable enough IMO.
    Mike Will Made It

and apparently Rae Shrummand wrote it
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    How was he right about Jay & Bey? She's still young, not even MJ was making "conscious" records early in his career. Cant even say she's late to the party when she's been a philanthropist for most of her career. People complain about her not being "conscious" in her music , and when she does , there's still people who want to ridicule her for being "late", lose lose.
  • IceBergTaylor
    edited February 2016
    _Goldie_ wrote: »
    How was he right about Jay & Bey? She's still young, not even MJ was making "conscious" records early in his career. Cant even say she's late to the party when she's been a philanthropist for most of her career. People complain about her not being "conscious" in her music , and when she does , there's still people who want to ridicule her for being "late", lose lose.

He is right because they have the power to do more.

Lets be clear: I'm not one of those folks who look to celebs to do anything for me and my people. Malcolm X once said "you never see white ppl looking to celebs for leadership, so why do we as black people do?"

But Beyonce & Jay have a lot of presence & power. MJ made a couple tracks coming at the system and he went as far as taking on the industry back when Invincible dropped. (You dont ever wonder why that album came and went?) MJ damn near cried when Oprah brought up a white man playing him in a movie. MJ had been telling folks for years before his death about the industry not giving a ? about black people. You can look it up.

When it first was reported that Bey & Jay were sending money to protesters, anonymously.... I thought that was great & disappointing in a sense of "What do they have to hide?"

You can call it a lose lose but these are the people in our community as far as we know with the most money, power & respect. You good with getting scraps every now and than thats okay. At the same time...dont be mad when folks demand more from those who with the most who represent us.

• _Goldie_
    I think the donation to the protesters was less about them trying to hide it and more of them not feeling the need to broadcast it. They've been open about donating to black causes in the past (katrina,sean bell,etc).

Your whole MJ point kinda makes my case, cuz like I said he was well in his 30s when he started doing that, and Bey is still in her early 30s. She's probably now just be getting to the point of her life/career where she's no longer worried about the backlash she's inevitably going to receive for being more vocal on the issues. I'm sure she's seen what happened to MJ.

I agree they do have power, but besides donating and highlighting the issues in their music, what else should they be doing?
  • IceBergTaylor
    I think the donation to the protesters was less about them trying to hide it and more of them not feeling the need to broadcast it. They've been open about donating to black causes in the past (katrina,sean bell,etc).

Your whole MJ point kinda makes my case, cuz like I said he was well in his 30s when he started doing that, and Bey is still in her early 30s. She's probably now just be getting to the point of her life/career where she's no longer worried about the backlash she's inevitably going to receive for being more vocal on the issues. I'm sure she's seen what happened to MJ.

I agree they do have power, but besides donating and highlighting the issues in their music, what else should they be doing?

You're right in the sense of "they dont need to broadcast it."

But it also brings up the "what are you afraid of?" question... Are they afraid folks are gonna come out the woodworks wanting more? Are they afraid folks back at home in the hood gonna put their hands out in a "What about me?" fashion? Or are they afraid that their corporate sponsors and handlers are gonna disassociate with them?

I will say while you're right about MJ even despite the fact in his Off The Wall/Thriller days he was opening fighting with executives about getting black videos and music on those big networks at the time (even tho MTV wasn't what it would become til they aired Thriller)

When it comes to what else they should be doing? Well theres plenty of things. Build some black schools, fund black owned banks, save those failing HBCU's Dr. Umar Johnson was talking about a few months ago. Open up black film studios so we could get more movies. They could be the spark that get other celebs with power to join in. All you have to do is look on your IG feed, when Beyonce say jump: people jump.
  • _Goldie_
    edited February 2016

You're right in the sense of "they dont need to broadcast it."

But it also brings up the "what are you afraid of?" question... Are they afraid folks are gonna come out the woodworks wanting more? Are they afraid folks back at home in the hood gonna put their hands out in a "What about me?" fashion? Or are they afraid that their corporate sponsors and handlers are gonna disassociate with them?

I will say while you're right about MJ even despite the fact in his Off The Wall/Thriller days he was opening fighting with executives about getting black videos and music on those big networks at the time (even tho MTV wasn't what it would become til they aired Thriller)

When it comes to what else they should be doing? Well theres plenty of things. Build some black schools, fund black owned banks, save those failing HBCU's Dr. Umar Johnson was talking about a few months ago. Open up black film studios so we could get more movies. They could be the spark that get other celebs with power to join in. All you have to do is look on your IG feed, when Beyonce say jump: people jump.

Im assuming the latter, cuz I'm sure folks back home been asking for handouts since day 1. @bolded .

I agree 100% with the rest. I still do think asking that much of someone in their 20s is alot, I'm hoping at this point of her career she's willing to take the risk and this song/video was a good start.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    One of the Rae Smerrud ? co-write this? What the ? lol
  • _Goldie_
    It was a joke my ? lol
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was a joke my ? lol

Don't play like that fam lol
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snoop Dogg wanna sing

Beyonce wanna rap

I dont wanna hear it

...cool messege, cool video, not my style...

Swag
  • DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The dancers were bad last night

[img]https://scontent-lga3-1.? .fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/v/t1.0-9/12651006_10153807142386878_5167416860867625288_n.jpg?oh=5687ddcda70330fa3f5f782aa01ebfe6&oe=572BD539[/img]

• Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This would have been a really dope song for somebody other than Bey, but since since it is Bey, the track is like "Meh." It's cool, it bumps, but I really have high expectations when it comes to Mrs. Carter, plus this video was a little too sweet for my tastes.
  • jazzybella
    jazzybella Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    blackrain wrote: »
    One of the Rae Smerrud ? co-write this? What the ? lol

Actually it's the truth

Produced By: Mike WiLL Made It
    Written By: Swae Lee & Beyoncé
    Appearance By: Messy Mya & Big Freedia
    Released: February 6, 2016

Swae Lee from Rae Sermmurd

tumblr_npophoe1hX1sm7vrxo1_500.jpg
  • OmegaConflict
    OmegaConflict Members Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought messy Mya was killed damn near 10 years ago
  • dhebyaoet
    dhebyaoet Members, Banned Users Posts: 1
  • lagudotsite
    lagudotsite Members Posts: 1
    all hip-hop and rap music visit my site http://lagu.site and Hits Music
  • ILLBOT
    ILLBOT Posts: 911 My Name Is My Name.
    ILLBOT detected banned alias
    Reason: dhebyaoet

Obsolete technology serves no purpose here.
    lagudotsite