Reactions To Trump's Attack On John Lewis: ‘Your Ignorance Is Astounding’...

stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/responses-to-donald-trump-attack-john-lewis
After President-elect Donald Trump attacked Georgia congressman and civil rights icon Rep. John Lewis (D-GA) and his district on Twitter Saturday morning, colleagues and admirers of Lewis responded forcefully.

Lewis said Friday that Trump was not “a legitimate president,” due what he called a Russian “conspiracy” to sabotage Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign. Lewis also said he would not attend Trump’s presidential inauguration.

Below is a selection of responses from around the political world from Lewis’ colleagues others. Lewis' constituents have also taken to Twitter to defend their district, which Trump described as “in horrible shape,” “falling apart,” and “crime infested.”

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA):

“I can only hope that Trump will govern differently than he has campaigned," wrote Rep. Todd Lieu (D-CA), who released a statement Saturday explaining why he would join other Democratic lawmakers in not attending Trump’s inauguration. "For me, the personal decision not to attend the Inauguration is quite simple: Do I stand with Donald Trump, or do I stand with John Lewis? I am standing with John Lewis."

Evan McMullin, independent candidate for president in 2016:

Rep. Keith Ellison (D-MI):

Sen. Mazie Hirono (D-HI):

Stephen Colbert:

Rep. Mark Takano (D-CA):

"Mr. Trump said that John Lewis is all talk and no action. I say, ladies and gentlemen, brothers and sisters, I say that John Lewis took action," said interim DNC Chair Donna Brazile, in remarks that brought the audience to its feet at the DNC Future Forum. "He took action marching from Selma to Montgomery. He took action in marching towards men welding clubs across the Pettis Bridge. They fractured his skull because of the color of skin. But John Lewis never stopped marching for justice and equality for all people!”

Rep. James Clyburn (D-SC):

Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA):

Rep. Jim McGovern (D-MA):

"Number one, don't tweet that. Number two, don't go there. And number three, step back and try to appreciate what's being said and what the concern is," Michael Steele said during an appearance on MSNBC. “John Lewis has a walk that very few people in this country–least of all Donald Trump–have ever walked. So you have to respect that and pay attention to that in a real sense," he added.

Rep. John Yarmouth (D-KY):

Rep. Robin Kelly (D-IL):

“I was like, ‘Is he serious by saying that he’s all talk and no action? He’s already taken the action, the ultimate sacrifice, his blood there on the bridge. It’s like, ‘Really?’” said Jennifer Holliday, who backed out of a commitment to perform at Trump's inauguration Saturday. She was speaking to The Hollywood Reporter. “I thought that was just very disrespectful and an insult to every person," she added.

Sen. Chris ? (D-DE):

Sen. Ron Wyden (D-OR):

Comments