Reactions To Trump's Attack On John Lewis: ‘Your Ignorance Is Astounding’...

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/responses-to-donald-trump-attack-john-lewis
After President-elect Donald Trump attacked Georgia congressman and civil rights icon Rep. John Lewis (D-GA) and his district on Twitter Saturday morning, colleagues and admirers of Lewis responded forcefully.

Lewis said Friday that Trump was not “a legitimate president,” due what he called a Russian “conspiracy” to sabotage Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign. Lewis also said he would not attend Trump’s presidential inauguration.

Below is a selection of responses from around the political world from Lewis’ colleagues others. Lewis' constituents have also taken to Twitter to defend their district, which Trump described as “in horrible shape,” “falling apart,” and “crime infested.”

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA):

“I can only hope that Trump will govern differently than he has campaigned," wrote Rep. Todd Lieu (D-CA), who released a statement Saturday explaining why he would join other Democratic lawmakers in not attending Trump’s inauguration. "For me, the personal decision not to attend the Inauguration is quite simple: Do I stand with Donald Trump, or do I stand with John Lewis? I am standing with John Lewis."

Evan McMullin, independent candidate for president in 2016:

Rep. Keith Ellison (D-MI):

Sen. Mazie Hirono (D-HI):

Stephen Colbert:

Rep. Mark Takano (D-CA):

"Mr. Trump said that John Lewis is all talk and no action. I say, ladies and gentlemen, brothers and sisters, I say that John Lewis took action," said interim DNC Chair Donna Brazile, in remarks that brought the audience to its feet at the DNC Future Forum. "He took action marching from Selma to Montgomery. He took action in marching towards men welding clubs across the Pettis Bridge. They fractured his skull because of the color of skin. But John Lewis never stopped marching for justice and equality for all people!”

Rep. James Clyburn (D-SC):

Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA):

Rep. Jim McGovern (D-MA):

"Number one, don't tweet that. Number two, don't go there. And number three, step back and try to appreciate what's being said and what the concern is," Michael Steele said during an appearance on MSNBC. “John Lewis has a walk that very few people in this country–least of all Donald Trump–have ever walked. So you have to respect that and pay attention to that in a real sense," he added.

Rep. John Yarmouth (D-KY):

Rep. Robin Kelly (D-IL):

“I was like, ‘Is he serious by saying that he’s all talk and no action? He’s already taken the action, the ultimate sacrifice, his blood there on the bridge. It’s like, ‘Really?’” said Jennifer Holliday, who backed out of a commitment to perform at Trump's inauguration Saturday. She was speaking to The Hollywood Reporter. “I thought that was just very disrespectful and an insult to every person," she added.

Sen. Chris ? (D-DE):

Sen. Ron Wyden (D-OR):

Comments

• MECCA1000
    MECCA1000 Members Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm not co-signing the Russian conspiracy angle but trump has to find some chill at how he goes at those who disagree ........

Is there one republican gonna stand up for John Lewis or nah .......
  • farris2k1
    farris2k1 Members Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MECCA1000 wrote: »
    I'm not co-signing the Russian conspiracy angle but trump has to find some chill at how he goes at those who disagree ........

Youd think someone woulda told his stupid ass that by now
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They have told him, he gives no ? .

He's threatened the media, telling them they'll be sorry.

You think he cares abt what ppl say abt his tweets? Nope.
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »
    They have told him, he gives no ? .

He's threatened the media, telling them they'll be sorry.

You think he cares abt what ppl say abt his tweets? Nope.

Thats my muhfuckin President right there
    Young Donnie J aka trill cracka
  • Lefty_
    Lefty_ Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    farris2k1 wrote: »

Not when you hire yes men.
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    This situation was like "bait" the dems where happy to green light...
    It further exposes how much of an unstable idiot Trump is to the public... and continue to energize the base...

Dems be ready to hold hands with the opposition and see the best in them while the GOP sees everything as supreme warfare.

I don't think people 100% agree with Lewis .... but its a clear lane to blast Trump as a slanderer of another American Hero. They can add this one to the list of many stupid attacks Trump has directed his twitter commentary towards.

• rickmogul
    rickmogul Members Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Twitter fingers r gonna catch him up.
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man i got a hunnid on the Snipers gofundme...
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    farris2k1 wrote: »

Cheeto's too unhinged and unfortunately whatever he says his dumba$$ supporters will continue to defend him.
  • Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trump's disgraceful fall will come ,when his scandal is release to the public.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ...he picked the wrong fight to get into.

Micheal Steele said it best "don't go there..."
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trump is stupid. That goes without saying. But I'm tired of seeing ? cape for Hillary too. The ? lost because she sucked as a candidate.
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Smh.. President Twitter Fingers continues with his stupidity...
  • Allah_U_Akbar
    Allah_U_Akbar Members Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @zzombie

Defend your boy.

I don't agree with John Lewis so i cannot defend him
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »
    @zzombie

Defend your boy.

I don't agree with John Lewis so i cannot defend him

I was talking about your boy Trump.

TRUMP ISN'T MY BOY
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How is speaking the truth stupid? Trump treating ? , that fake news bit was hilarious and true. CNN has been exposed and people are waking up to the mainstream lies of the media. Most of you are still brainwashed, do I support trump? Nah don't trust him, but I do like how he speaks his mind. People so offended by tweets, but not war, death and famine......smh Americans have gone soft
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Twitter is going to be Trump's downfall.
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How is speaking the truth stupid? Trump treating ? , that fake news bit was hilarious and true. CNN has been exposed and people are waking up to the mainstream lies of the media. Most of you are still brainwashed, do I support trump? Nah don't trust him, but I do like how he speaks his mind. People so offended by tweets, but not war, death and famine......smh Americans have gone soft
    But he took questions from Breitbart..
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dems need to focus on rebuilding their party and progressive ideology. The CBC in general, and John Lewis in particular, are not as down for fighting against the Black plight as they say they are and get no credit from me. The fact that many of them are democrats speaks volumes considering the dems were incredibly resistant to the black vote, freedom, and equality. The fact that they invoke King for political reasons is troubling and proves Waldo Martin right:

"President Johnson and the American establishment sought to appropriate King as an American martyr: a powerful symbol for American democracy. Members of the establishment quickly forgot King's continued insurgency and his efforts to broaden the struggle. Instead, they sought to make King their own, trumpeting racial progress to burnish American democratic credentials. Lacking the practical means to sustain civil rights insurgency and eager to join the establishment, the moderate civil rights leadership quickly embraced this symbolism." -Joshua Bloom & Waldo E. Martin, Jr.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He ran his entire campaign on disrespect and lies, how can you convince him to not run his presidency the same way?

One of Republicans gripes about Obama was t g at he was too soft on Russia, so they elected someone who refuses to say a negative word about them?

trumptweet23n-1-web.jpg
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn so blacks ? 81 percent...of whites an whites only ? 2 how can we defend this