Old School Lesson Of The Day - Word Of Mouth featuring DJ Cheese

Options
5 Grand
5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2017 in The Reason
This is a group called Word Of Mouth feat DJ Cheese. They actually only had two songs, King Kut and Coast To Coast. Both songs were pretty big when they came out. I think King Kut came out in 1985 and Coast To Coast came out in 1986. I preferred Coast To Coast but I know people that thought King Kut was better.

The reason Word Of Mouth and DJ Cheese are important is because DJ Cheese won the DMC DJ contest in 1985. I'm pretty sure that was the first contest, with DJ Jazzy Jeff being the second winner in 1986, DJ Cash Money won in 1987 and DJ Miz won in 1988.

Anyway, I used to ? Coast To Coast when it came out. I thought they were going to be the next big thing, but they only released those two songs never to be heard from again.

King Kut - Word Of Mouth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1RaOSuPIkk

hqdefault.jpg

Coast To Coast - Word Of Mouth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swO1PB_kF_w

U.K. Freestyle - They go in @ 11:10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK3ekYL-mQc

DJ Cheese 1986 Winning DMC Routine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_Wn-eWxsXU

Another thing to note is there was a concert called U.K. Fresh in 1986. There were a lot of big name acts, in fact it may have been the first Hip Hop arena concert in the U.K. If you go on Youtube you can find the whole concert. I have it on a CD-R somewhere but I'm not going to look for it.

BE_UKFresh86_Advert_Jun_7_1986_Simmo.jpg?height=600&width=411

Comments

• Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? them nobodies. And before you get in your feelings I'm only taking your advice.
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Stew wrote: »
    Not because I don't like the album, but because I've never heard of the album.

Then this post deserves to be spammed to oblivian.....not cause you've never heard it but you voted without knowing what it sounds like.

Yeah so its not a classic.

If an album is classic that means it had an impact on the culture.

You noted Raising Hell in your O/P. Now thats a classic. Everybody on this board is familiar with Walk This Way and Peter Piper. I doubt there's a song by on A Piece Of StrangeWord Of Mouth feat DJ Cheese that EVERYBODY on this board is familiar with.

Or more importantly, I doubt there's a song by on A Piece Of StrangeWord Of Mouth feat DJ Cheese that the majority of Americans, regardless of region, age or socio-economic background are familiar with. And yes, that should be the criteria for labeling an album "classic".
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    ? them nobodies. And before you get in your feelings I'm only taking your advice.
    Stew wrote: »
    Not because I don't like the album, but because I've never heard of the album.

Then this post deserves to be spammed to oblivian.....not cause you've never heard it but you voted without knowing what it sounds like.

Yeah so its not a classic.

If an album is classic that means it had an impact on the culture.

You noted Raising Hell in your O/P. Now thats a classic. Everybody on this board is familiar with Walk This Way and Peter Piper. I doubt there's a song by on A Piece Of StrangeWord Of Mouth feat DJ Cheese that EVERYBODY on this board is familiar with.

Or more importantly, I doubt there's a song by on A Piece Of StrangeWord Of Mouth feat DJ Cheese that the majority of Americans, regardless of region, age or socio-economic background are familiar with. And yes, that should be the criteria for labeling an album "classic".

And the history lesson continues

In the mid to late 80s there were two radio shows in New York City; Mr Magic's Rap Attack on 107.5 WBLS which came on Friday and Saturday nights and then on 98.7 there was Chuck Chillout on Friday nights and Red Alert on Saturday nights. Mr Magic, Chuck Chillout and Red Alert tapes were like gold in Boston where I grew up.

You see, Mr Magic, Chuck Chillout and Red Alert had connections with all the hot record labels knew all the rappers. They'd get new rap songs MONTHS before the college DJs in Boston got them. So if you had a Mr Magic, Chuck Chillout or Red Alert tape it was like having a Doo ? , DJ Clue or Kay Slay tape in the 90s or early 2000s.

Mixtapes weren't even around in the mid/late 80s. They didn't really start poppin until the mid 90s. So people would tape the radio shows and that would be a mixtape. I had family in New Jersey so when we would go down to visit I'd bring a boom box and tape Mr Magic, Chuck Chillout and Red Alert and then bring the tape back to Boston. It would be the hottest tape in town. The tape would have stuff that nobody in Boston had heard.

Anyway, Mr Magic released 5 compilation albums; Mr Magic's Rap Attack Vol 1-5. Vol 1 featured King Kut and Vol 2 featured Coast To Coast.

R-141178-1292442733.jpeg.jpg

R-936979-1174850710.jpeg.jpg

Furthermore, as I mentioned, Word of Mouth performed at U.K. Fresh in 1986 with DJ Cheese, who as I also mentioned was the winner of the DMC DJ contest in 1985. He moderates a Facebook group called 1200s & Vinyl DJs Only. There's 14,000+ members of the group and DJs all over the globe contribute mixes and dialogue about the culture of DJing.

DJ Cheese and Word of Mouth might not be household names to teenagers but any Hip Hop head that was alive in the 80s remembers those two songs.

Anyway, here's a link to DJ Cheese's Facebook group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/thereadjcheese/

Why don't you go on DJ Cheese's Facebook group and call him a "nobody".
  • Nah Son
    Nah Son Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    He moderates a Facebook group called 1200s & Vinyl DJs Only. There's 14,000+ members of the group

Damn what a legend
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Nah Son wrote: »
    He moderates a Facebook group called 1200s & Vinyl DJs Only. There's 14,000+ members of the group

Damn what a legend

He won the first DMC DJ chamiopnship
  • JonnyRoccIT
    JonnyRoccIT Members Posts: 14,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You should post these threads in the Essence or some ahit cause nobody wanna see this ? but you
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    You should post these threads in the Essence or some ahit cause nobody wanna see this ? but you

Thats a sad state of affairs that nobody cares about the first DMC DJ Champion
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    King Kut was my ? back in the day. It gotta lot of play in the boom box on the strength that it was recorded loud and clear. You could hear that treble way down the block.

Nice drop.