HipHopDX Breakdown - Andre 3000: The Greatest Rapper Of All Time

Comments

• achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Recipe wrote: »
    achewon87 wrote: »
    Most will agree he needs a solo album before being considered...

Homies argument is interesting just for the fact that the current music climate is not built off of albums, so does 3 stacks really need something that the industry is trying to abandon and that most music fans don't give af about?...

He also adds that Big Boi actually has the better argument if we really break it down like that...

Q-Tip>3 Stacks imo...

Kendrick has arguably 2 classics at the very least 1, so is he in the convo?

That's a different thread and topic...
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

Homies argument is interesting just for the fact that the current music climate is not built off of albums, so does 3 stacks really need something that the industry is trying to abandon and that most music fans don't give af about?...

He also adds that Big Boi actually has the better argument if we really break it down like that...

Q-Tip>3 Stacks imo...

You can put Kendrick in the conversation, but you'd have to compare him to people like LL Cool J, Nas, Jay, Pac, KRS, etc. who have a dozen albums.

You could try to argue that Biggie only has 2 albums and so does Kendrick, but Big was the undisputed KONY and had the radio on lock for 3 consecutive years. Can't say the same for Kendrick.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    edited January 2017
    5 Grand wrote: »

Q-Tip>3 Stacks imo...

You can put Kendrick in the conversation, but you'd have to compare him to people like LL Cool J, Nas, Jay, Pac, KRS, etc. who have a dozen albums.

You could try to argue that Biggie only has 2 albums and so does Kendrick, but Big was the undisputed KONY and had the radio on lock for 3 consecutive years. Can't say the same for Kendrick.

I find that HEEELARIOUS especially when most folks call Illmatic the GOAT album and they both came out in the same year :joy: but we not gonna do that in this thread.
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

Q-Tip>3 Stacks imo...

I made that thread a year or 2 ago it was funny asf.

http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/530927/where-does-kendrick-rank-all-time-whats-his-ceiling-is-he-as-good-as-biggie/p1
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Stew wrote: »

Q-Tip>3 Stacks imo...

I find that HEEELARIOUS especially when most folks call Illmatic the GOAT album and they both came out in the same year :joy: but we not gonna do that in this thread.

I remember that era Wu started it off then illmatic rocked, but once Big dropped it was a wrap he took over and was KONY no ifs, ands, or buts
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    edited January 2017

Q-Tip>3 Stacks imo...

I remember that era Wu started it off then illmatic rocked, but once Big dropped it was a wrap he took over and was KONY no ifs, ands, or buts

My ? , you havnt made a thread in 3 years, now is the time! No way the "GOAT" album gets trumped like that with that kinda accolade, run it.
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How much is KONY weighted if Pac is hitting you up the whole time and is the king of rap in general at the same time?
  • 5 Grand

Q-Tip>3 Stacks imo...

Nope.

Illmatic got 5 mics and was the hottest HIP HOP albums, but Juicy, Big Poppa and the One More Chance (Remix) were platinum SINGLES. ALL THREE OF THEM WENT PLATINUM.

Furthermore, Big was on Players Anthem, The Flavor In Your Ear (Remix), Can't You See by Total. Also Get Money and the Get Money Remix.

Big was the ONLY rapper in New York that had his own mixtape. I remember seeing this tape at the local stores that sold Hip Hop. Retail stores like Sam Goody or Tower Records didn't have it, but those mom and pop stores had it.

R-3391985-1331404357.jpeg.jpg

Having said that, I think Illmatic was better than Ready to Die, but Big was the KONY. He was getting daytime radio play on the top 40 stations, can't say the same for Nas.
  • Midwest_Journalist
    Midwest_Journalist Members Posts: 321 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Personally, Outkast is #4 on my personal GOAT list and Andre 3000 is 80 % of the reason why. You have to give Big Boi credit too since it's a group.

My PERSONAL top 5:
    1. 2Pac
    2. Nas
    3. Kendrick Lamar
    4. Outkast
    5. Lupe Fiasco
    (Yeah, I know it's technically 6, but ? your feelings - I already posted above why)

He never dropped an album, but you can somewhat say "The Love Below" is a solo album, but it was still considered an Outkast album and he did a lot of singing. But yeah, I wish he would drop a solo, but his creativity on the Outkast albums make up for it.
  • JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Serious question: is 3k the greatest in the south?

Is he better than Big Boi, Scarface, T.I.,etc.?
  • Midwest_Journalist
    Midwest_Journalist Members Posts: 321 ✭✭✭✭

Q-Tip>3 Stacks imo...

Nope.

Illmatic got 5 mics and was the hottest HIP HOP albums, but Juicy, Big Poppa and the One More Chance (Remix) were platinum SINGLES. ALL THREE OF THEM WENT PLATINUM.

Furthermore, Big was on Players Anthem, The Flavor In Your Ear (Remix), Can't You See by Total. Also Get Money and the Get Money Remix.

Big was the ONLY rapper in New York that had his own mixtape. I remember seeing this tape at the local stores that sold Hip Hop. Retail stores like Sam Goody or Tower Records didn't have it, but those mom and pop stores had it.

R-3391985-1331404357.jpeg.jpg

Having said that, I think Illmatic was better than Ready to Die, but Big was the KONY. He was getting daytime radio play on the top 40 stations, can't say the same for Nas.

Nas is better than Big. BIG had a good producer (Puff) behind him. He already had a track record at Uptown Records of helping people blow up, so I really don't count all this radio stuff when you're comparing the overall body of work.

Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift and mumble rap get played a lot on the radio too.

• P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand what a solo album from 3K will do for ? knowing damn well 9 times out of 10 it won't be a "rap" album.
  • 5 Grand
    So let me get this straight, its really been 10 years since Outkast put anything out?
  • P. Town
    P. Town Members Posts: 27,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    P. Town wrote: »
    I don't understand what a solo album from 3K will do for ? knowing damn well 9 times out of 10 it won't be a "rap" album.

I dont understand why ? say he a top 5 or GOAT rapper if he dont drop "rap" albums.

9ju65y1nsbeh.gif

He has 6. If you don't wanna count The Love Below, he has 5.
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    LcnsdbyROYALTY Members Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So let me get this straight, its really been 10 years since Outkast put anything out?

Almost 9. Royal Flush came out in 08.
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    anduin wrote: »
    He has those GOAT traits but he's not all the way there. Hit songs, lyricism, his own style put him above most. But I want to hear another solo record from him that's dope all the way through.

Lol all that but biggie isn't gotta love hiphopdx
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why dont ? just say he is the greatest rapper in a group or duo? That is a reasonable and fair argument. But he has 0 solo Hip Hop albums, thats a dealbreaker for me when you got ? with 5-10 solo albums and half of which are classics, its disrespectful to compare 3K to them let alone fix they mouth to call him the GOAT over the aforementioned.

Those aforementioned you talking bout also mentioned 3K as one of the GOATs.

• 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Maybe the greatest in the south
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    LcnsdbyROYALTY Members Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5th Letter wrote: »
    Maybe the greatest in the south

Aight you bein flat out disrespectful now my ?