Why they put a time limit on rap? they don't for other genres

Comments

• #jpp
    #jpp Members Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlevelandBoiBool?
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nobody puts a time limit on rap.

People my age still listen to rap, we just listen from a different perspective
  • smp4life
    smp4life Members Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been listening since I heard the Fat Boys in 1984!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • shtoopid
    shtoopid Members Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    there are og's still making solid rap music. ? nas had songs about divorce, fatherhood, etc. on a number one album. but most new artists are young because fans are young and they wanna hear about young ? ? . not just in rap, but popular music as a whole.

grown men have stuff to do, and generally only check for the artists they like on their time. unless you're already established, you can't build a large mainstream fanbase of just old heads. young ? drive the culture. they are the main ones checking up on blogs, pulling up to showcases, djing at clubs, turning up to the latest song, sharing ? on social media, and basically making artists blow.
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These young dudes were sucking on their mothers ? when all the good ? dropped.
  • smp4life
    smp4life Members Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everything that is old will be new again. Eventually 90s and even 80s style rap will probably come back. Remember groups like the Jurassic 5, Missy Elliot, and the Cool Kids all got popular using old-school styles.
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    smp4life wrote: »
    Everything that is old will be new again. Eventually 90s and even 80s style rap will probably come back. Remember groups like the Jurassic 5, Missy Elliot, and the Cool Kids all got popular using old-school styles.

? goes in cycles...

We're in that late 70's early 80's now with all the party & lifestyle type music imo...

As politics & economics change so does music, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if we go back to 80's-90's style sooner rather than later, with a new twist ofc. Also the west has been working with the jazz/funk production influenced by the 90's for a minute now + KDot & Cole seem to want to shift the culture that way...

There are still good artist and rappers out now for older heads just have to dig deeper most of the time...

The labels won't ever cater to the old heads tho...
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    because it's not accepted to be a seasoned rapper like it is in other genres

rockers go on tour and make lots of money and can still sell records at will maybe not as much but still can have a substantial following

people act like listening to hip hop is immature but its fine to listen to rock
    No one is calling rock heads immature or just for youngsters
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Ive probably listened to 2 albums a year for the last several years and I use to cop albums at least twice a month, Im out growing Hip Hop personally when you start listening to it with all the wisdom you have picked up over 30+ years alot of the subject matter is just to immature to relate to almost like how you mature out of cartoons because of the concepts, stories and subject matter is catered to developing minds.

When Im waking up in the suburbs getting kids ready for school and headed to work the last thing a ? trying to hear about is the ? I worked so hard not to see and deal with on a daily.

Its not just about an age or a number as it is maturity you appreciate different things and most 30, 40, 50 year old people dont wanna hear about selling and using drugs, gangs or murder from cats that dont even truely understand how those actions effect our community. I mean ? got kids when they 30+ and wanna keep their kids away from, drugs, violence and gangs, So I personally dont think its an age limit but you mature out of hip hop due to its immature subject matter.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its pretty simple, you form your taste in music as a child into your teens. Then when you reach your 20s your taste starts to evolve. As you get older your taste in music includes the stuff you listened to as a kid/teenager as well as the current music. Thats a lot of music.

As a Hip Hopper in my 40s I'm just as likely to buy and old KRS One album or an old Tribe Called Quest album or an old NWA album as I am to buy a Kendrick album or a J Cole album. I think teenagers are more likely to be stuck on new music, meaning 2017 music.

I know when I was in high school I only listened and bought new music. It wasn't until I graduated high school that I started exploring older music from the 60s and 70s.

My point is that if you want to make money, market your music to teenagers, they're a very easy market to figure out, they like whats hot and new right now. They're not gonna buy an old Rakim album.

• Ear2DaSt
    sometimes youngsterz like ole school rap and don't like the new ish

sometimes it be the wanna be younger then what they are folks that be on that new ish

they think if they listen to new ish it makes them hip
  • Lefty_
    Lefty_ Members, Writer Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quality music, regardless of genre, regardless of age, will always have a listener. Art ain't tangible, therefore, there are no barriers.
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Recipe wrote: »
    Ive probably listened to 2 albums a year for the last several years and I use to cop albums at least twice a month, Im out growing Hip Hop personally when you start listening to it with all the wisdom you have picked up over 30+ years alot of the subject matter is just to immature to relate to almost like how you mature out of cartoons because of the concepts, stories and subject matter is catered to developing minds.

When Im waking up in the suburbs getting kids ready for school and headed to work the last thing a ? trying to hear about is the ? I worked so hard not to see and deal with on a daily.

Its not just about an age or a number as it is maturity you appreciate different things and most 30, 40, 50 year old people dont wanna hear about selling and using drugs, gangs or murder from cats that dont even truely understand how those actions effect our community. I mean ? got kids when they 30+ and wanna keep their kids away from, drugs, violence and gangs, So I personally dont think its an age limit but you mature out of hip hop due to its immature subject matter.

I tried to fight this for years. I occasionally listen to ignorant ? but I often find myself cringing. It's more for nostalgic reasons now. I think that's why I liked Prhyme so much because he rapped about sobering up and becoming a better man.
  • Ear2DaSt
    So that's all you get out of the hip hop you listen to?

There is alot of hip hop with messages and knowledge

You gotta take the good with the bad

some of yall just mad cuz the youth look up to the rappers

if you sound to grown the youth aint gonna listen to you

it's a gift that the youth can relate to you and wanna listen to you

so even tho you mature you gotta keep and energetic youthful edge

stop blaming the music it's just entertainment

What about games,movies and social media

not all hip hop is that bad and should be understood it's entertainment

The youth need ? !!!