LMS Debate rd2: Are curfews effective in terms of keeping teens out of trouble?

Options

Comments

• CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • yellowtapesport
    yellowtapesport Members Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    im jus tryin to figure out if we here to talk about kids in and out of trouble or about parents feelings and worries..

my ? ..
    QUIT havin me have to read through ur ? ..
    u talkin to a real one.. i have an innate ability to filter out ? ..

nothin u talkin about has anything to do with what WE talkin about.. the only reason im even engaging the ? is for one i need 5 ? replies to satisfy the round. and second i jus like to prove ? wrong..

so lets go..

u make mention of the comparisons i gave u between the upbringin of me and my sister.. and our lifestyles as "consequence"

u say things like "she continues to work hard" "continued to embrace her good habits of studying" and then turn to say i "bask in negative behavior.."

AGAIN.. or we here to talk about kids in and out of trouble or moral values?? i chose to give u a look into my life to showcase to u that a curfew didnt keep me out of trouble.. but lets get one thing clear.. "the trajectory of our careers" has led to me makin in a great month, which i have had on occassion, what she makes in a year..

the car she drives although she pays the note on it.. me and my stepfather gave her the down to order her car and drive it off the lot..

where was i goin wit this?? same place u was goin bringin it up.. nowhere!

me havin a curfew did not keep me out of trouble cause i found a way to do what i wanted to do anyway.. like i said early.. it created the problem it was tryin to prevent..

i can argue treating me like a criminal from birth in the guise of concern for my well being inadvertantly made me into the efficient.. successful.. career criminal that i am..

which goes back to what i was sayin earlier.. its not what u do.. its how..

as teens we are comming out of childhood and entering adulthood.. we start to develop our own identities and we begin to desire our independence.. without even doin anything wrong ur suggesting to put limitations on us.. this isnt our "rebellious" stage for no reason..

i jus gave u a blueprint to rearing a child and aint even get so much as a thank u.. and ur in here still talkin that ? about ? thats been proven a failure..

AND ANYWAYS anything the government suggests or policies it puts in place should be looked at sideways anyway.. SINCE THE ? WHEN has government gave a ? about kids??! or its people for that matter?? not in our lifetimes atleast..

a system of oppression oppressing u from the time u start to find urself is nothin to tout.. its an inside joke between me and @HundredEyes but im not the one "spinning" things im not the one "selling dreams" if anything im unwinding things and since i first logged onto this site i have givin u NOTHIN BUT THE REAL..

but its easy to see how u cant see that seein as @Paprika aint even got a real taste!

it aint that white people dont season they food..
    its jus that they use THAT ? ! hahaha

/thread.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFiXP-CdlYA
  • CapitalB
    Options
  • CapitalB
    Options
    team world after reading my last rebuttal..

635934346721054896-161410148_sneaking-out.gif
  • CapitalB
    Options
  • CapitalB
    Options
    this ? is sad..
    all the ? these ? was talking..
    the high five'n.. butt slappin.. dancin.. and some more ? ..

now look what they've been reduced to??

@2stepz_ahead @Sion the boy is past the 24hr mark..
    but imma stall him out seeing as due to complications I was a couple hrs past the deadline and still was allowed to proceed..

look.. Im bout to go to the gym in like an hr..
    I usually be in there for about 2hrs.. I take my time getting home so thats about another 30 mins to an hr..

its 5pm Westside/WestCoast time..
    so if the boy aint got a comeback by time I comeback home is it safe to say he don't want these hands??
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    MY HOW THE TABLES HAVE TURNED
  • CapitalB
    Options
    right, who asks for rain without an umbrella??! hahahaha
  • HundredEyes
    HundredEyes Members Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mannnnnnnnn

@Paprika , get back in there!
  • CapitalB
    Options
    @HundredEyes

first it was..
    "Lmao, boss can talk a cat of a fishwagon but no way in hell is he spinning himself outta this one haha"

then..
    "Alright Pap brought the bidnesssss, keep it up fam! Got em right where u want em..."

raw
  • Paprika
    Paprika Members Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    At this point I feel like we’ve reached the end of the debate. The reason I mention why there are two Curfews; legally and one created by parents is because the world is orchestrated by systems. No one thing is held down without another existing, complimentary piece. Parenting and raising a child is apart of the blueprint to curfews.

The system here when discussing curfews involves self-improvement, responsibility from the child, parent and law to accommodate themselves for the best possible position to avoid crime. This system in a sense is like a body being fuelled by a three course meal meeting all nutritional needs. When a teenager can focus on themselves to expand their mind or body through hard work there is no reason being a criminal pays off.

Your development while lucrative is also a piece of the underbelly society that fosters greed and ? . All things consumed shall be done so in a long-term manner. With you exploiting the women that put money in your pocket is one of the very things this curfew tries to prevent. All people have their own self-esteem issues, only through dark practices of street walking are they emphasised by lowly middle men such as yourself.

The freaks come out at night indeed. With all of your talent showcased here, surely you could have been something successful that your mother would be proud of. Yet your focus on being outside of the box of morality and being a predator led you to where you are. You can claim you help these women but your sister’s path of actually affecting lives could have been yours if you locked yourself down with proper habits.

While teenagers feel they have deserved the right to independence, it needs to be proven. Being a parent is about understanding the strengths and limitations of your child. Adopting a carefree attitude to curfew status and then trying to rein the child back in after is disastrous. Slowly breaking off the pieces of your own rules until they are able to function without them is how they grow. An 8 pm bedtime isn’t effective for a teenager.

In that same thought the government realises that the old axiom “it takes a village to raise a child,” is one with merit. In 2011 a study conducted by the University of California, Berkeley showed that youth arrests fell by 10% in 54 United States cities with 180,000 or more citizens.

With an 11pm curfew teenagers can get what needs to be done finished and exceptions are provided for work, school or errands provided by their parents.

The government isn’t always about missing the mark on policies and laws. Black people always urge to vote locally to see a difference, the laws that bother most are federal laws. The curfew laws are municipal laws enacted by cities to circumvent crime in the teenage age group.

• CapitalB
    edited February 2017
    Options
    AGAIN.. we in here talking about morals principles..
    are kids in and out of trouble??!

why are u taking a personal story I told u so personal??
    ur more focused on me and my skill and handily handing u ur ass..

would u rather me use this skill in a church?? instead of "feeding GROWN ASS WOMEN (not the teens we are here to talk about) ? and lies for monetary gain do it to a congregation?? or perhaps try my hand at politics.. be Slick as Willie.. or Suave as Obeezy??

? my momma IS proud of me..
    I'm the oldest living male in my family.. I finance members in my family to deter them from getting into trouble, u know like the "rewards" I talked about in my last post.. since 19 iv moved out of her house and only go back to visit.. I practically raised my brother and sister growing up and still help my brother.. I took custody of my lil cousin.. I can talk all day about the good I do for people.. but unlike u I'm trying to stick to topic..

my mom is most proud of me than any of her children..
    cause what u need to understand is any loving parent is going to do everything they can and give their all towards their children.. but seeing as she was 15 she really aint have ? to give.. and tho all odds were stacked against not only her but me for me to make a way out of no way and to be at the level that I'm at she can't help but smile from ear to ear..

now before I dig into the rest of ur ? I told u before don't come at me wit studies ..thats ? lazy.. thats lame.. shows u aint got the mental fortitude to ? wit me.. ur arms to short to box wit ? ? !

but I knew ud go there so I did some "research" myself..
    case and point..

http://jjie.org/2013/10/14/op-ed-why-dont-youth-curfews-work/

member how I said for every study saying one thing there's a study suggesting the opposite.. where he we are..

in this study on why curfews DONT work..

it goes into how curfews imposed by cities experienced more crime then neighboring cities that didn't..
    it goes on how it made the city less safe in general..

"Curfews function as remarkably effective tools to waste law enforcement resources removing law-abiding youths from public places, where youthful presence serves to deter crime. Urban scholarship from William H. Whyte and Jane Jacobs to common knowledge in European and Latin American cities validate that the more folks on the streets, young or old, the safer the public space."

remember when I said why are we criminalizing kids before they even make an attempt to do anything??
    well..

"Every curfew CJCJ has researched overwhelmingly targets African and Latino American youth. Americans in many communities not only routinely criminalize youth merely for venturing into public places during arbitrarily forbidden hours, but delight in venting hostility against the young."

u talk about "two curfews; legally and one created by parent" in ur last response..
    well I already showed the audience how the parenting angle was flawed.. but here's what the study, u know the thing ur type reveres so much, had to say..

"community leaders who adopt a curfew are admitting there’s something radically wrong with their leadership, not young people."

and boom goes the dynamite.

a teenager is classified by anyone of the age thirTEEN to nineTEEN..
    with 18 being of legal age..

saying a 15, 16, 17, yr old can't be outside the home after 10pm is ? ludacris.. how is he or she ever suppose to develop into independent adults when ur treating them like a 10yr old??

kids have friends.. they have social lives.. they go to school.. out by 3.. go home do they homework done by 5.. have chores done by 8.. and u mean to tell me they can't go see a ? movie cause it'll be over after 10?? Gameworks out here in Vegas closes at 12am.. a 17 yr old boy is out on a date with his girlfriend and he has to leave by 10 when he only got there at 9!?

thats a lil ? thats gonna resent authority.. cause the ? is unfair..

and say u bottle a child up UNTIL he or she's 18..
    what u think they go do when they are finally "set free" when their "sentence is over" they are gonna go BUCK WILD cause now they are put into an environment they weren't braced for..

equivalent to a girl with strict parents moving away to college at 18.. "lambs to the slaughter"

not only do curfews not work.. they are dangerous..
    even if u want to go the criminalization route.. I already illustrated how its causing problems its tryin to prevent..

but even goin the parental route.. ur attempts at keeping ur child teen safe is putting ur young adult at great risks..

long story short..
    curfews like u.. are "self defeating."

BARS!
  • CapitalB
    Options
    aye @yellowtapesport

tell these muthafuckas jus where the ? we from!!!!!
  • CapitalB
    edited February 2017
    Options
  • Paprika
    Options
    Filed under ideas and opinions. The piece you posted and where you finally garnered a stance from was an opinion piece, yes there are conflicting views if you seek them. From a source cited in that article it proves exactly what I’ve been saying, curfews leave fewer opportunities for crimes.

With 400 citations for curfew violations only 7 people were caught committing a crime. There is clearly a sign that Curfews are working. The purpose of a curfew sweep is to send the kids home any criminal acts being found is a bonus.

The conclusions reached from 7 arrests are conjecture and heavily biased. As if you look at only 7 teens being arrested between 1995-1998 as it was in that report, it shows teenagers are less involved in crime.

Jurisdictions know kids are going to break curfew and don’t send them to court for these infractions, at least not immediately. There are steps taken to ensure that they understand every action has a reaction or consequence. A drive back to their house, making their parents pick them up, a six week class on diversion, job training and activities to stay out of the streets.

From all of that the complaint from the city being less safe, which is conjecture is that officers are taken away from real crime. This is the point of different divisions doing work. In San Diego officers would go out once a month to do curfew sweeps. That doesn't seem like its making the streets unsafe.

The great thing about you citing those sources is that those are the only counters with statistical backing. Peep this though, that study was done in 2000. And even the conclusions don't match the data shown. The recent study by Berkeley was conducted in 2011 showing a 15% drop in the first year once curfews are introduced and a permanent 10% as a baseline there on.

A key finding to squash anecdotal evidence with research is that “municipal curfews act as focal point in the establishment of household policies.” Meaning municipal Curfews are a supplement to the current Curfews inside one’s household.

Naturally minority rates are high, if you haven’t noticed by now population is skewed in whites favour. So a town with 100 whites and 10 of them are taken in for curfew violations is 10%.

That same town with 30 blacks and 10 taken in for curfew violations is 30%. These are statistics that are consistent with most figures when representing race. Unless it is explained people will keep believing we are being arrested at a much higher rate. High for our small population, microscopic on the macro level.

This whole debate the onus was on you to prove curfews are in fact ineffective to preventing crime, you’ve failed. I did my part, and to be honest was pretty lax. You were too hung up on the correlation between limiting activities, because the opposition for this argument is based on emotions.

There are more factors at work than curfews, from my opening posts I stated personal development and refocusing the dopamine from negative behaviour will heed positive results once transferred to healthy habits. You confirmed it with the only way you know how to debate via personal anecdotes regaling your sister's success.

Habits, the key to man's success. In habits you learn more about humans, in your habits you lost this debate. You’ve peaked, getting under people’s skin is great if you are ? stats and sweating facts, but all you are doing is making a smell with these embarrassing retorts.
  • Paprika
    Options
  • CapitalB
    Options
    will post up after I take this shower and before I hit these streets..

but this is still #ROSG
    cause I only read about 2 paragraphs of that ? ..
  • HundredEyes
    HundredEyes Members Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pfffff Pap stepping up jn this biaaaatch *Daz Dilli voice

Boss out there shook, talking bout respond on site but he gotta take a shower first cause his azz is sweating

Aint no helfstepping that ROS life trump boy haha
  • CapitalB
    Options
    "From a source cited in that article it proves exactly what I’ve been saying, curfews leave fewer opportunities for crimes."

ur proving somethin that wasn't asked of u..
    this debate isn't about if curfews are keeping kids from doing crimes.. its asking if its keeping kids out of "trouble"..

u do realize there is a difference right??
    probably not..
    but then again.. this whole thread uv been doing nothing but demonizing these teenagers as if all of a sudden on their 13th BDay they become masked ? murderers when all they trying to do is hang out wit they friends..

"keeping kids safe"
    who's to even say the home is safe for them?? they may have abusive parents.. whether its towards them or towards each other.. what kid wants to be around that ? ??

u go on to say,
    "Naturally minority rates are high, if you haven’t noticed by now population is skewed in whites favour."

oh believe u me.. I noticed.. and that source I cited even touched on it.. u don't find it odd that "judicial" curfews target the minority base?? it reminds me of high school..
    u go to the white neighborhoods and they have an open campus.. u go to a black or predominantly Mexican school and u see gates.. no one can get in or out.. security heavily enforced..

but when we watch the news its the white schools wit shooters on campus.. gets getting popped in classrooms..

funny how they treat the minority as criminals and allow the white kids to develop into adults and active citizens in society WITHOUT SCRUTINY.. but that goes back to me saying the government aint for us and everything they do is for reason.. but I take it ur okay with how backwards society and the government is..

okay.. now here's the funny ? ..
    "This whole debate the onus was on you to prove curfews are in fact ineffective to preventing crime, you’ve failed."

nah ? .. the stage was set and u opened the argument setting the tone..
    all I did was counter ur every move and showed how flawed ur logic was.. ? U FAILED..

u failed to show how curfews keep kids out of trouble and instead told us about EVERYTHING ELSE thats MORE EFFECTIVE basically arguing for me.. all I had to do was reiterate.. thank u for that by the way..

"I did my part, and to be honest was pretty lax."

oh we could tell ? .. we could tell..
    I slapped fire out of ur ass from the moment I posted after reading all the ? ur mans' was saying..
    HE DID THIS TO U!! u lost ur will to fight ..ur wrist went limp so to speak. hahaha

but anyways.. in closing..
    I said it before and ill say it again..
    we are human beings and we are individuals..

to make blanket policies and practices is especially when it comes to children I have showed that not only is it irresponsible.. but dangerous..

u can't protect a person from making mistakes.. but u can be of guidance..
    as ur child grows into adulthood ur duties as guardian and protector must lesson if that child is to develop into an adult.. unless u want a ? 28yr old living at home STILL WITH A CURFEW..

life is the greatest teacher and that teen will make mistakes but its up to u as a parent to help them learn from their mistakes.. but to be strict all ur doing is destroying a bridge of communication and leaving ur child out there on their own to fend for themselves.. again.. creating a problem u were trying to prevent.

as the saying goes.. "boys will be boys.."
    all I'm saying is lets help them become men..

and we can't do that treating them like kids.. or at worst potential criminals..

that is all..

• CapitalB
    edited February 2017
    Options
    @2stepz_ahead close this ? ..

my fist is starting to hurt from pummeling this ? ..
    @Sion ur next..

@HundredEyes

herman-cain-smile.gif
  • yellowtapesport
    yellowtapesport Members Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aye @yellowtapesport

tell these muthafuckas jus where the ? we from!!!!!

My bad fam..i'm late to the party..

Bout to catch up now

#ROSG
  • CapitalB
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    Paprika rattled you ? . No matter the outcome you move on regardless tho, Pap will destroy Gabi. I told you I have you figured out to a science tho.

u say i was rattled.. then go on to say ? like this ? that i jus made food can get wit the female that eat ? ??!

if its ANYONE i PMd this whole debate it was her and i dont even know why i doubted her?? and its not that i did.. i jus wanted to assure victory and we was already on the same line of thought..

i stopped messaging her! hahahaha
    myGabigab is good..

and lol@ havin me figured out to a science?!
    u did that then uv accomplished what none can do in my near 35yrs of livin..

hell IM still learnin me.. and jus when i think i know i evolve into somethin else. hahaha

im convinced.. @Sion u jus like to hear urself talk my ? . hahaha
  • CapitalB
    edited February 2017
    Options
    i know exactly what u meant..
    and thats why u wont win cause im unconventional..

im not confined to ur mental restraints..
    which is why every debate im in u ? get geeked cause u dont see outside of ur own understanding and see no way possible for me to debate...

which is why no matter the side im whoopin yall ass..

sorry im not formal..
    imma come to yo awards wit my durag on type ? .

BARS!
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    Im bout to read the thread now, I'll have my vote posted by the end of the day.