What is the Greatest Sporting Decade ?

fortyacres
fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,480 Regulator
edited January 2017 in From the Cheap Seats
What decade across all sports produced the greatest Stars , Moments and Classic Games?

NFL
NBA
Olympics
Hockey
Tennis
Boxing

etc ?

What is the Greatest Sporting Decade ? 15 votes

2010s - Current
6%
blue_london 1 vote
00s
13%
its....JOHN Bsilverfoxx 2 votes
90s
53%
northside7dwade206dontdiedontkillanyonthe ghostfortyacresgman82Ibexnatural born sinners 8 votes
80s
26%
d.greenMister B.playboy buddy roseO.G. 4 votes
70s
0%
60s
0%
50s
0%

Comments

• its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    00s
    Pats-02, 04, 05 champs, 08 undefeated season and superbowl appearance and multiple afc championship games

Celtics-08 champs

Red Sox-04 champs and the greatest comeback down 3 games to the Yankees, 07 champs

Bruins-just missed it in 2010

08 olympics greatest ever

Boxing Floyd reigned supreme, Roy Jones was the man early, still had Lennox and Tyson late in their careers, Hopkins, Trinidad, De la Hoya, Mosley, Tszyu, Barrera, Morrales, Pacquioa, Cotto, Klitchko's, etc...

Tennis-Serena/Venus/Sampras/Agassi/Federer/Nadal, etc
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    90s
    The 90s was loaded with stars and classic games/events. And you forgot MLB.

The four major sports were at their peak in the 90s.
  • Figo
    Figo Members Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    no world cup on the list? what type of african are you ? ? an etc for that ?
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    80s
    NFL -- Montana, Elway,Marino,Rice, Payton,Allen,LT, Bo Jackson, Dickerson,Reggie White,Lott,Ditka,Parcells, Walsh, '85 Bears, The Drive, The Catch, The Fumble

NBA-- Lakers vs Celtics, Young MJ, The Bad Boys, Dominique, Young Ewing, Young Olajuwon, Young Robinson, Young Barkley, Dr.J & Moses . The dunk contest featuring actual stars. Riley,Daly,Jackson,Cunningham,Ramsay,Hubie Brown

Olympics-- Carl Lewis, Mary Lou Retton. US hockey team (miracle on ice), Ben Johnson scandal, '84 US basketball team with MJ, Ewing and Chris Mullin not needing nba players to bring home gold. USA ruled track and field not Jamaicans.

Hockey-- WAYNE GRETZKY !!! Nuff Said.

MLB-- Fernando Mania, Mets vs Red Sox in '86, Bash Brothers and the A's, Gibson HR, Pete Rose scandal, Ryan, Clemens,Gooden,Hershiser,Ozzie Smith, Henderson,Strawberry,Ripken, Brett

Tennis-- Borg,McEnroe,Evert Lloyd,Lendl,Conners,Becker,Navratilova,Graf, Young Seles

Boxing-- TYSON!!, Marvin Hagler, Thomas Hearns, Sugar Ray Leonard, Roberto Duran, Arron Pryor vs Alexis Arguello, Julio César Chávez, Hector Camacho,Whitaker,Holyfield etc.

NCAA-- Jimmy Johnson and the The U, Barry Switzer and the Sooners, Tom Osbourne and Nebraska, Lou Holtz and Notre Dame, Joe Paterno and Penn State, Doug Flutie Hail Mary, The Stanford Band vs Cal. Bo Jackson, Herschel Walker, Tim Brown ,Barry Sanders, Erick Dickerson, Ewing and The Hoyas, MJ,Perkins and Worthy and the Tar Heels, Hakeem ,Drexler and Phi Slama Jama, Denny Crum and Louisville, NC State and Villanova upsets. The emergence of the Big East. Dean Smith, Bobby Knight, John Thompson,Jim Valvano, ? Bias death

Golf-- Watson,Nicklaus,Ballesteros,Faldo,Strange,Norman,Stewart,Zoeller,Trevino,Stadler

ETC-- BSPN Sportcenter actually showed highlights of games instead of the game show that it has become now.

ETC-- Sportscasters of the 80's
    Vin Scully
    Mel Allen
    Harry Caray
    Ernie Harwell
    Jack Buck
    Curt Gowdy
    Chick Hearn
    Howard Cosell ( he was washed by this time tho)
    Keith Jackson
    Al Michaels
    ? Enberg
    John Madden
    Verne Lundquist
    Brent Musburger

ETC-- 80's wrestling>>>>>
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    00s
    Nah wrestling goes to the 90's, the attitude era was goat
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    young as ? .. nah the WWF main events era >>
  • d.green
    d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    90s
    O.G. wrote: »
    NFL -- Montana, Elway,Marino,Rice, Payton,Allen,LT, Bo Jackson, Dickerson,Reggie White,Lott,Ditka,Parcells, Walsh, '85 Bears, The Drive, The Catch, The Fumble

NBA-- Lakers vs Celtics, Young MJ, The Bad Boys, Dominique, Young Ewing, Young Olajuwon, Young Robinson, Young Barkley, Dr.J & Moses . The dunk contest featuring actual stars. Riley,Daly,Jackson,Cunningham,Ramsay,Hubie Brown

Olympics-- Carl Lewis, Mary Lou Retton. US hockey team (miracle on ice), Ben Johnson scandal, '84 US basketball team with MJ, Ewing and Chris Mullin not needing nba players to bring home gold. USA ruled track and field not Jamaicans.

MLB-- Fernando Mania, Mets vs Red Sox in '86, Bash Brothers and the A's, Gibson HR, Pete Rose scandal, Ryan, Clemens,Gooden,Hershiser,Ozzie Smith, Henderson,Strawberry,Ripken, Brett

Tennis-- Borg,McEnroe,Evert Lloyd,Lendl,Conners,Becker,Navratilova,Graf, Young Seles

Boxing-- TYSON!!, Marvin Hagler, Thomas Hearns, Sugar Ray Leonard, Roberto Duran, Arron Pryor vs Alexis Arguello, Julio César Chávez, Hector Camacho,Whitaker,Holyfield etc.

NCAA-- Jimmy Johnson and the The U, Barry Switzer and the Sooners, Tom Osbourne and Nebraska, Lou Holtz and Notre Dame, Joe Paterno and Penn State, Doug Flutie Hail Mary, The Stanford Band vs Cal. Bo Jackson, Herschel Walker, Tim Brown ,Barry Sanders, Erick Dickerson, Ewing and The Hoyas, MJ,Perkins and Worthy and the Tar Heels, Hakeem ,Drexler and Phi Slama Jama, Denny Crum and Louisville, NC State and Villanova upsets. The emergence of the Big East. Dean Smith, Bobby Knight, John Thompson,Jim Valvano, ? Bias death

Golf-- Watson,Nicklaus,Ballesteros,Faldo,Strange,Norman,Stewart,Zoeller,Trevino,Stadler

ETC-- BSPN Sportcenter actually showed highlights of games instead of the game show that it has become now.

Vin Scully
    Mel Allen
    Harry Caray
    Ernie Harwell
    Jack Buck
    Curt Gowdy
    Chick Hearn
    Keith Jackson
    Al Michaels
    ? Enberg
    John Madden
    Verne Lundquist
    Brent Musburger

I was torn between 80's n 90s I went with the era I personally watched.
  • O.G.
    80s
    O.G. wrote: »

Vin Scully
    Mel Allen
    Harry Caray
    Ernie Harwell
    Jack Buck
    Curt Gowdy
    Chick Hearn
    Keith Jackson
    Al Michaels
    ? Enberg
    John Madden
    Verne Lundquist
    Brent Musburger

I was torn between 80's n 90s I went with the era I personally watched.
    That's how it should be.
  • BDBIID
    BDBIID Members Posts: 18,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Seeing OG list reminded me of something, why is Parcells much more revered than Joe Gibbs? Obviously as a Skins fan I know the Joe ins and out but it was before my time and I didn't see none of it live. Gibbs won more rings with a diff QB each time and holds a higher win pct.

Personality jumped out at me first but Walsh was a mellow guy so I'm not sure. Just something I always pondered.

• O.G.
    80s
    BDBIID wrote: »
    Seeing OG list reminded me of something, why is Parcells much more revered than Joe Gibbs? Obviously as a Skins fan I know the Joe ins and out but it was before my time and I didn't see none of it live. Gibbs won more rings with a diff QB each time and holds a higher win pct.

Personality jumped out at me first but Walsh was a mellow guy so I'm not sure. Just something I always pondered.

You're absolutely right about Gibbs. I made that post from the top of my head. I just forgot to add him. Gibbs was a great coach and is unfairly overlooked. He won 3 rings with 3 different qb's. That's greatness. My bad
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • gman82
    gman82 Members Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    90s
    The 90'same for me, the era I grew up watching, narrated by Stewart Scott. I remember watching sports center over and over just to hear Stewart Scott.

Basketball: Jordan & The Bulls Dynasty, Young Shaq & Penny (Magic), Hakeem Olijuwon, Early 90's Knicks, late 90's Pacers, etc.

Football: Deion, Jerry Rice, Barry Sanders, Reggie White, Emmitt, Michael Irving, Rod Woodson, Terrell Davis, young Randy Moss, Steve Young, 94' 49ers.

Basketball: Im not even a big baseball fan, but these players made me pay attention to the game, alone with Stewart Scott on sports center

Ken Griffey JR, Barry Bonds, The Big Hurt, Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, the Braves, the Mariners

Olympics: Original Dream team, Michael Johnson, Dominique Dawes

Boxing: Roy Jones Jr., Tyson (post prison), Lennox Lewis, Riddick Bowe, Dela Hoya, Holyfield, etc.

• Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    80s
    90s is the one everyone here can relate to, but the 80s had ALL-TIME players in their prime in every league.