Unqualified Education Secretary DeVos Slammed For Calling HBCUs 'Pioneers' Of School Choice…

2»

Comments

• Crude_
    Crude_ Members Posts: 19,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean..what do u expect from someone with no background in education to say about the background of education. Id say stop losing your ? on twitter and actually give a ? about who you state senate and house reps are. They allowed there to be a 50/50 vote to confirm the woman in the first place.

A lot of people only decide to give a damn every four years in those presidential elections.

I look at our State Senators in Louisiana where I live Bill Cassidy and John Kennedy both guys are incompetent conservative idiots.

Ralph Abraham whose the state rep for my area is the same.

Due to a uninformed and poorly educated voter base though these type of guys will keep getting elected.
  • whatevathehell
    whatevathehell Members Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see and agree with the outrage however,

I Honestly would not have caught it had not yall pointed it out. I mean I know better, but I would have let this pass....smh @me I guess.
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crude_ wrote: »
    I mean..what do u expect from someone with no background in education to say about the background of education. Id say stop losing your ? on twitter and actually give a ? about who you state senate and house reps are. They allowed there to be a 50/50 vote to confirm the woman in the first place.

A lot of people only decide to give a damn every four years in those presidential elections.

I look at our State Senators in Louisiana where I live Bill Cassidy and John Kennedy both guys are incompetent conservative idiots.

Ralph Abraham whose the state rep for my area is the same.

Due to a uninformed and poorly educated voter base though these type of guys will keep getting elected.

gerrymandering is also a very real problem, that never gets any traction

not to mention the GOP's efforts to make voting harder
  • ineedpussy
    ineedpussy Members Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

real question....whats wrong with this? trump gives to black education/hbcu and obama gave nothing. hell the black farmers had to get the congressional black caucus on obama just to get that measly 1.2 billion
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/devos-tries-to-walk-back-statements-historically-black-colleges-school-choice
    DeVos Tries To Walk Back Statement About Black Colleges, School Choice

Education Secretary Betsy DeVos on Tuesday tried to walk back her suggestion that historically black colleges were the product of a "school choice" movement rather than legalized segregation and Jim Crow laws.

"Your history was born not out of mere choice, but out of necessity, in the face of racism, and in the aftermath of the Civil War," DeVos tweeted. "HBCUs remain at the forefront of opening doors that had previously been closed to so many."

On Monday night, DeVos released a statement calling historically black colleges "real pioneers when it comes to school choice."

"They started from the fact that there were too many students in America who did not have equal access to education," she said. "Their success has shown that more options help students flourish."

Many historically black colleges were founded because black students were legally barred from attending segregated white schools, rather than from any organized push to provide "more options" for black students during an era of Jim Crow laws and legalized segregation.

DeVos' statement drew sharp criticism from several Democratic senators.

fd6.gif
  • stringer bell
    Republicans, including Trump, were hoping to use the opportunity to build relations. GOP lawmakers hosted the school presidents Tuesday at a Capitol Hill event with speakers that included House Speaker Paul Ryan and Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.).

Scott, a supporter of DeVos who introduced her at her confirmation hearing, told reporters Tuesday that her statement could have been worded better.

“Is there a better way to word things? Yes," Scott said. "I think at the end of the day my only response is that clarity in your statements is always important."

Smdh..

giphy.gif
  • stringer bell
    edited March 2017
    ineedpussy wrote: »

real question....whats wrong with this? trump gives to black education/hbcu and obama gave nothing. hell the black farmers had to get the congressional black caucus on obama just to get that measly 1.2 billion
    DeVos also seemed to reject one thing the schools are really hoping to get from the administration: More money. One school president told POLITICO that the colleges had asked the White House to back a $25 billion investment in infrastructure improvements on their campuses in their meeting with DeVos Monday. They also advocated for year-round Pell grants and to maintain or increase funding that goes to schools that serve low-income students.

“Rather than focus solely on funding, we must be willing to make the tangible, structural reforms that will allow students to reach their full potential,” DeVos said in her statement.

For Trump, the executive order also was a way to one-up former President Barack Obama, who was extremely popular among black voters but had a rocky relationship with historically black colleges and universities.
    And after the meeting, some participants complained that the time spent taking photos with Trump cut into a planned listening session with DeVos and Pence.

"There was very little listening to HBCU presidents today," Walter Kimbrough, president of Dillard University, wrote online.

That ? was nothing more then a photo-op.. So those HBCU educators got played.. I they enjoy being used in Trump's next election photos and ads...
  • stringer bell
  • ineedpussy

DeVos also seemed to reject one thing the schools are really hoping to get from the administration: More money. One school president told POLITICO that the colleges had asked the White House to back a $25 billion investment in infrastructure improvements on their campuses in their meeting with DeVos Monday. They also advocated for year-round Pell grants and to maintain or increase funding that goes to schools that serve low-income students.

“Rather than focus solely on funding, we must be willing to make the tangible, structural reforms that will allow students to reach their full potential,” DeVos said in her statement.

For Trump, the executive order also was a way to one-up former President Barack Obama, who was extremely popular among black voters but had a rocky relationship with historically black colleges and universities.
    And after the meeting, some participants complained that the time spent taking photos with Trump cut into a planned listening session with DeVos and Pence.

"There was very little listening to HBCU presidents today," Walter Kimbrough, president of Dillard University, wrote online.

That ? was nothing more then a photo-op.. So those HBCU educators got played.. I they enjoy being used in Trump's next election photos and ads...

im sorry bruh. crying real tears. no help for the hbcu's. man my hbcu's are in utter disarray. lawd jesus.
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    texas409 wrote: »
    people are so sensitive

Yeah, people took her comments out of context.

If the same thing was said by a black person, there wouldn't have been as much "outrage."

Maybe she should have phrased her comments differently, but she wasn't lying about what she said.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will white people hold those republicans they voted for accountable or rubberstamping their support for these very same cabinet members who will ultimately ? them like everyone else...................... probably not. If its two things "real american" should give two ? about its the education and environmental cabinet choices
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Politician are a reflection of there constituents regardless of the party they represent. The south used to be full of Dixiecrats. Now they are mostly repubs. This is mostly a result of the ideological change of the parties and social change of the south. There is gerrymandering involved and the perception of compromising to losing. In the end, The congress is acting out how the average American would do in the same situation. That is not how politics works.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator

This is what I hate about this ? . When these politicians wanna act like they're doing something for black people they use the HBCU. Shame on all those negros for allowing themselves to be used as props. Meanwhile on that very same day Sessions vowed to be tough on crime and they made it so the police departments can't be sued for civil rights violations. But what got the bigger press? Exactly.
  • stringer bell
    http://www.mediaite.com/online/trump-reportedly-said-you-people-are-doing-an-amazing-job-in-meeting-with-hbcu-leaders/
    According to BuzzFeed, six different people who were in the Oval Office when President Donald Trump met with the leaders of Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) claimed that the president used the term “you people” while speaking to them.

“You people are doing an amazing job,” four people in the room recalled Trump saying. Two of them said Trump repeated the complimentary refrain three times. They all said the comments raised eyebrows, and it was discussed afterward even as others just said it was Trump being Trump.

It was “very insensitive,” one of the college presidents said, but added that while the phrase irked him and his colleagues, it also struck him as “very Trump-ish.”

One college president told BuzzFeed that while he’s heard a “lot worse than that, he was “waiting on him to say something worse.”

Another college president stated that he didn’t enjoy the visit all that much because they were rushed in and out of the meeting rather quickly, with Trump mostly just commenting on how crowded the Oval Office was.

Smh...
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

Today, U.S. Secretary of Education John B. King Jr. will speak at the 2016 National Historically Black College and University (HBCU) Week Conference, highlighting the value of HBCUs and the importance of advancing their legacy in student success. Over the course of 7 years, the Obama Administration has invested more than $4 billion in HBCUs, because these institutions are vital engines of economic growth and proven ladders of advancement for generations of African Americans.

source: https://www.ed.gov/news/press-releases/fact-sheet-obama-administration-investments-historically-black-colleges-and-universities

smarten up
  • ineedpussy
    SneakDZA wrote: »

Today, U.S. Secretary of Education John B. King Jr. will speak at the 2016 National Historically Black College and University (HBCU) Week Conference, highlighting the value of HBCUs and the importance of advancing their legacy in student success. Over the course of 7 years, the Obama Administration has invested more than $4 billion in HBCUs, because these institutions are vital engines of economic growth and proven ladders of advancement for generations of African Americans.

source: https://www.ed.gov/news/press-releases/fact-sheet-obama-administration-investments-historically-black-colleges-and-universities

smarten up

but where did the money go to? let me see the receipts.
  • brown321
    brown321 Members Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These ? weren't played they went where the money is. Black folk don't support there own so if they don't Shuck for these cacs their schools would be assed out.
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    SneakDZA wrote: »

smarten up

but where did the money go to? let me see the receipts.

I put a link to the damn receipt.

If you want to know the specifics here's what you do.... research and get your facts straight.

You said...
    trump gives to black education/hbcu and obama gave nothing.

...which is actually the exact opposite of the truth. now all of a sudden you care about receipts? foh.

Federal funding to HBCUs has grown each year since 2009. Through the Higher Education Act, HBCUs received a $17 million funding increase this year—the largest increase for the federal Strengthening HBCUs program in six years. And President Obama’s FY 2017 budget seeks to maintain and strengthen these opportunities for HBCUs to build their capacity. The FY 2017 budget proposes $85 million in mandatory funding to HBCUs, an increase of $5 million from FY 2016, plus an additional $244.7 million in discretionary funds for Title III.