Protesters Call for Boycott of Missha Beauty Supply Store

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMk-Rw7-jKA

There are calls for a boycott after a suspected shoplifter was kicked and tackled in a viral video from North Carolina, at a store with a Chicago connection.

Demonstrators gathered outside Missha Beauty Supply in Bronzeville, Illinois, urging customers to stay away.

"They're not going to disrespect us, and they're not going to disrespect our black community. Simple as that," said Carolyn J. Ruff, boycotter.

tumblr_omt3qwu1c21tlf2w7o4_400.gif

The Chicago-based owner of the store also owns a store in North Carolina where an altercation between a manager and a customer has drawn the attention of the NAACP.

"He took it upon himself to treat her in ways that no woman should be treated, in fact no person should be treated," said Corine Mack, NAACP Charlotte-Mecklenburg Chapter.

The video that's gone viral shows the manager, who is Asian, blocking the exit of an African American woman who he has accused of shoplifting. The scuffle quickly escalates, punches are thrown, and the manager brings the woman to the ground.

The manager wraps his arm around her head and neck for more than 30 seconds. She protests that he's choking her. The manager eventually lets go, and the woman leaves.

After filing a police report, he expressed regret over the encounter.

"I was crazy. No matter what the reason, I feel very sorry to her," Sung ? Lim said.

That answer was not satisfying to protesters in Chicago.

"Stay out of here. Shut it down. Since they feel that way, that's the way we feel. Close it up," said James Thomas, boycotter.

Charlotte police have not arrested or charged the woman with shoplifting, but the store's owner said he's given police surveillance video showing her stealing several items. He said that manager has offered to resign, but the owner has not accepted that resignation.

http://abc13.com/news/protesters-call-for-boycott-of-store-connected-to-viral-video/1806074/

Comments

• Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Valentinez A. Kaiser Members Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    can't take law into your own hands.....but i ? hate shop lifters!
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I hate when people protest ? like this. It's probably wrong, but is a shopowner wrestling with someone who tried to steal from him worth this kinda response?

Sometimes it seems like some of these protesters believe criminals deserve to pick their own reaction to the crimes they commit. And let's be real, if that was a black owned business, they would not be protesting this.
  • Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lemme see the video of her shoplifting.

He ain't "very sorry" for nothing..he ? up. Shut em down.
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Kat wrote: »
    Lemme see the video of her shoplifting.

He ain't "very sorry" for nothing..he ? up. Shut em down.

There was no video of her shoplifting... or it didn't show her to be shoplifting. He tried to backtrack and "apologize".

BTW, thread on this topic already... DL Hughley on Hair Store Headlock...
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I hate when people protest ? like this. It's probably wrong, but is a shopowner wrestling with someone who tried to steal from him worth this kinda response?

Sometimes it seems like some of these protesters believe criminals deserve to pick their own reaction to the crimes they commit. And let's be real, if that was a black owned business, they would not be protesting this.
    theyre protesting the brutality. His actions were not proportionate to the crime

He couldve simply sent the surveillance video to the police and been done with it, right? Right.
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol @ "They're not going to disrespect us, and they're not going to disrespect our black community. Simple as that,"

you disrespect your own and yourself when you shop at their stores... If you close em down, none of you are going to step up and provide the service and if you do, you'll treat your own worst than you treated the ones choking you out on the ground. smh @ all the "outrage" and not being about the next steps.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Support your blacc owned beauty supply sellers!

it's crazy but in Charlotte a somlia dude does own a beauty supply store.

imma get the address
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol @ "They're not going to disrespect us, and they're not going to disrespect our black community. Simple as that,"

you disrespect your own and yourself when you shop at their stores... If you close em down, none of you are going to step up and provide the service and if you do, you'll treat your own worst than you treated the ones choking you out on the ground. smh @ all the "outrage" and not being about the next steps.

but when Barkley says black people full of ? ....he's called a ? .

yet this goes on....an they ain't ? .

interesting
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options
    The best recourse to combat it is for black stakeholders to open a competing store right next to theirs.

? an apology. ? accepting an apology. If you continue to shop there, you're an idiot.
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    R0mp wrote: »
    Arabs and Asians stay setting up shop in black populated areas.

And I don't shop in them. She got her ass kicked for trying to steal, dude protecting his ? , stay out those places and don't get disrespected, they already disrespecting themselves
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trillfate wrote: »

theyre protesting the brutality. His actions were not proportionate to the crime

He couldve simply sent the surveillance video to the police and been done with it, right? Right.

If she was stealing

Stealing from a store you own is taking money off you table and money away from mortgage and money from getting back and forth to work. That basically an attack on your livelihood

But if he just works there I understand it and ? him

• Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    R0mp wrote: »
    Arabs and Asians stay setting up shop in black populated areas.

And I don't shop in them. She got her ass kicked for trying to steal, dude protecting his ? , stay out those places and don't get disrespected, they already disrespecting themselves

Where is the proof of that though? She hasn't been arrested, we've seen no footage proving that she was stealing. At this point, he ASSUMED she was stealing and proceeded to assault her.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Go get a fuckn job!!!!
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

You hate when an attack of a woman results in black people organizing and uniting against a common enemy to decide to no longer patronize their racist establishments?

Is there a history of racism or are you just projecting? If you got more info, cool, share it. I don't know if you've ever seen how asians handle asian thieves, but I have. They do the same damn thing. Not everybody in the world is on some "treat a criminal nicely" type ? .

Again, if this was a black owner in NC doing that to a black woman, would people in Chicago be boycotting? Would you be promoting this reaction? If you say you would, I'll take your word for it and we can agree to disagree. I personally don't believe holding a person down when that person attempts to steal from you is all that crazy. It might be wrong, but not worth protesting over.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

but when Barkley says black people full of ? ....he's called a ? .

yet this goes on....an they ain't ? .

interesting

That's not why he is called a ? . Stop it
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Support your blacc owned beauty supply sellers!

My nephew and his buddy opened one in Florida, man he says ? smh. Always looking for a discount and when they wouldn't get one they'd run to the Asians. Ended up shutting down

? at least they will go to the black store. I was talking to some black chicks the other day that said they'd never go to a black nail salon because they didn't believe blacks could do it as well as asians. People wonder why there aren't more black owned businesses serving black communities. There you go.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I live like 3 4 blocks away...me driving past

• The Lonious Monk
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Trillfate wrote: »

Let me ask you a question. Real talk. If you caught someone stealing from you, would you let it slide, call the police and let them handle it or would you confront the person? I'm not saying the guy doesn't deserve to be punished, but is this really worth a large scale protest and why is it being turned into a race issue? Did he say something racist? Does that store have a history of being racist? I mean people are protesting in Chicago. They have absolutely no idea what the people in that NC store are like.

People are in here saying this is the reason you should support black stores. You should support black stores, but this ain't the reason. ? beat the ? out of thieves too. Is that ok because I damn sure haven't seen this reaction in those cases.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Protesting is one step but we need some action to go along with that protest.
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Options

You hate when an attack of a woman results in black people organizing and uniting against a common enemy to decide to no longer patronize their racist establishments?

Is there a history of racism or are you just projecting? If you got more info, cool, share it. I don't know if you've ever seen how asians handle asian thieves, but I have. They do the same damn thing. Not everybody in the world is on some "treat a criminal nicely" type ? .

Again, if this was a black owner in NC doing that to a black woman, would people in Chicago be boycotting? Would you be promoting this reaction? If you say you would, I'll take your word for it and we can agree to disagree. I personally don't believe holding a person down when that person attempts to steal from you is all that crazy. It might be wrong, but not worth protesting over.

what????

not as if it matters, but the store owner has handed over no proof that the woman was shop lifting

so let's not concede just yet, that she was....if i'm wrong correct me

and having walked into many of asian run beauty supply stores, i can tell you a lot of the clerks are often rude ....and some treat you like criminals soon as you walk in for no reason....could it be that i am blk, maybe...wouldn't be surprised if he jumped the gun

that said, whether of not this man is racist, he handled the situation very poorly... dude literally kicked her and than wrestled her to the ground after this woman even offered to let him check her bag

regardless of the race he was i'd take issue with it

so if the community wants to rally behind this woman, good. the store could have a history of mistreating their customers for all we know

its crazy to me anyone would try to justify the actions of this man or mock a protest