White Supremacist who fatally stabbed black New Yorker admits his intent to target & ? black men…

2»

Comments

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WHO RADICALIZED HIM!

AMERICA DID THAT'S WHO
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/de-blasio-timothy-caughman-murder-act-domestic-terrorism-article-1.3008065
    De Blasio: Timothy Caughman’s murder an act of domestic terrorism

Rich Schapiro
    The hate-filled brute accused of using a sword to butcher a black man in Midtown carried out an act of “domestic, racist terrorism,” Mayor de Blasio said Friday.

The comments come a day after the mayor refused to answer questions about the horrific attack and suspect James Jackson’s alleged ties to hate groups.

“This is domestic, racist terrorism,” de Blasio told Brian Lehrer on WNYC radio. “There’s no question it is the equivalent of what happened in Charleston at the church, which was one of the most horrible incidents that occurred in this nation in many years — a racially motivated act of domestic terrorism.”

Jackson, 28, stalked several black people Monday night before settling on 66-year-old Timothy Caughman, prosecutors said.

Approaching his victim from behind on Ninth Ave., Jackson plunged the 18-inch blade of his sword into Caughman’s chest, prosecutors said.

The Baltimore-based racist, after surrendering to police, told cops he traveled to New York to get maximum attention for his sick plot to execute black men. Jackson was arraigned Thursday on several charges including second-degree murder as a hate crime.

De Blasio blamed the attack on a “dynamic of hatred” that grew out of the election of President Trump and has “unleashed forces of hate all over the country.”

Later Friday, Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams called for prosecutors to bring domestic terrorism charges against Jackson.

“We need for (white supremacist groups) to be treated the same way as we treat ISIS,” he said.

The Manhattan district attorney’s office refused to comment Friday. Prosecutors said Thursday the charges could be elevated because they believe Jackson was seeking to instill fear in the black community. The killing was “most likely an act of terrorism,” prosecutors said.
  • stringer bell
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/north-baltimore/bs-md-hampden-caughman-vigil-20170325-story.html
    Neighbors rally after arrest of Hampden resident suspected in N.Y. killing

Close to 100 people gathered in Baltimore's Hampden community Saturday night for a vigil honoring Timothy Caughman, a black New York man who police say was stabbed to death — allegedly by a white man from Hampden.

Authorities allege James Harris Jackson, 28, fatally stabbed Caughman, 66, with a 2-foot sword before discarding it in a trash can. Police say Jackson had driven from Baltimore to New York and chose Caughman at random. He is charged with second-degree murder as a hate crime and criminal possession of a weapon.

Sarah Rice, a former resident of Hampden, organized Saturday's vigil along 36th Street in front of St. Luke's Evangelical Lutheran Church. She said the attack in New York made her feel the need to show that a sense of community in Hampden "extends to all our neighbors."

Specifically, she said, she wanted to "communicate that we welcome and honor our neighbors and visitors of color."

Authorities say Jackson, who was raised in Towson and was renting a rowhouse in Hampden, went to New York from Maryland "for the purpose of killing black men." Prosecutors said Jackson was "angered by black men mixing with white women."

The crowd that gathered Saturday was mostly white, with many carrying signs reading "Black Lives Matter" and "Hate-Free Hampden."

Melinda Panetta, 67, said she came because she "wanted to show that this is not the face of Hampden."

Jenn Harr, 33, a resident of Hampden, said she feels "sick" that the person accused in the attack is a neighbor.

"It's important that people come out and show that this isn't right," she said.

"This horror began right here," City Councilwoman Mary Pat Clarke told the group.

"We are ashamed, distressed and in sympathy with his family in New York," Clarke said. "We came here to change people who hate like that."

The crime shocked Jackson's family and many who have known him. His family has stated they are "horrified, and heartbroken by this tragedy" and extended their prayers to Caughman's family.

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio likened the stabbing death of Caughman to the 2015 shootings in South Carolina of nine churchgoers, and also this week's attack in London the killed four and injured dozens. Speaking on a New York radio show Friday, de Blasio called the New York attack "domestic, racist terrorism. There's no question."

Jackson was arraigned Thursday in a Manhattan court and is being held without bail; he did not enter a plea. His next court date is Monday.

At Saturday's vigil, Rice gathered donations for two local charities — Hampden Family Center and the Baltimore Algebra Project. She said the donations will be made in memory of Caughman.

As the gathering closed, a man driving past yelled "Idiots!" at several attendees who were holding Black Lives Matter signs.

Another passerby shouted at them: "All lives matter!"

Ling Guo, 24, a Hampden resident who attended the gathering, said such disagreements "can be expected."

"I don't think people understand what 'Black Lives Matter' means," she said. "It's not to negate other lives. It's to bring attention to the circumstance that black lives are under in the criminal justice system — and the social and economic disparity."

Another two dozen people gathered at a vigil late Saturday night by the Washington monument in Baltimore's Mt. Vernon neighborhood.

Before an arrangement of lit candles spelling out "Timothy," Hena Zuberi, 42, of College Park, spoke of the climate of hate crimes and said, "I didn't know Timothy, but it could have been my brother Tariq, and that makes me terrified."

• stringer bell
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/26/nyregion/baltimore-timothy-caughman-vigil-james-harris-jackson.html?_r=0
    Baltimoreans Mourn a Man Said to Have Been Killed by Their Neighbor

BALTIMORE — Under a gloomy sky, a crowd of a few dozen people assembled in the yard outside a stone church, a mostly white group who carried posters and wore T-shirts with messages like “Black Lives Matter,” “Stay Woke” and, simply, “BMORE Kind.” They had come on a Saturday evening to mourn a man they did not know, killed some 200 miles from here.

“Over the past few days, I learned he was the kind of man I would like to have as a neighbor,” Sarah Rice, the organizer of the vigil, said of Timothy Caughman, a 66-year-old man who, days earlier, stumbled into a New York City police station with stab wounds to his chest and back before he died. Ms. Rice repeated facts about Mr. Caughman she had gleaned from news coverage — his passion for meeting celebrities, his skill as a boxer.

“He had a charm,” she added, “that would fit right in with our neighborhood.”

The authorities in New York said that James Harris Jackson, a 28-year-old white Army veteran, had traveled to New York City from Baltimore with a deep-seated hatred of black men and the intention of killing them, and he chose New York with the hope of drawing more attention. The authorities said Mr. Jackson attacked Mr. Caughman with a sword in Midtown Manhattan last Monday night as he scavenged for cans. Mr. Jackson later turned himself in to the police.

The case’s connection to Hampden, a rapidly evolving neighborhood in North Baltimore, is a tenuous one: Mr. Jackson’s most recent address was a rowhouse here. Before that, he had lived elsewhere in the city and in Towson, just over the city line in Baltimore County. And in the time he was in Hampden, neighbors said, he kept a low profile, spotted on the occasional visit to a liquor store or walking around, avoiding conversation on a block where residents tend to be chatty.

Still, it has been enough of a link to an unsettling act of violence that it has compelled some residents to consider their neighborhood’s complicated racial history.

“He could have been behind any door anywhere, quietly living with this hatred when it burst out,” said Mary Pat Clarke, the city councilwoman whose district includes Hampden. “But it was here. It was a block from here.” She added, “It’s shocking and heartbreaking, and we take it personally here.”

Some have described Hampden as West Virginia meets Brooklyn, and in some ways, it looks the part. Aging industrial buildings perched on tree-covered slopes that make up the neighborhood’s western edge give way to a vibrant strip on West 36th Street, known as The Avenue, lined with quirky shops, a charcuterie bar and a gluten-free Italian cafe.

Some evenings, The Avenue pulses with crowds enjoying dinner and drinks or perusing book and record stores, many coming from outside the neighborhood. The side streets are almost as lively; children play as their parents hang out together and other neighbors walk by with their dogs. Residents say they were attracted to Hampden by the stores and restaurants within walking distance, as well as its access to nature. The wave of newcomers has driven up real estate prices and is changing the face of what had long been an insular and almost entirely white blue-collar enclave.

“There’s a new breed that’s moving in,” Clarence Harris, who has lived in Hampden for almost 50 years, said from his front stoop, where he joked with neighbors and pointed out Killer, the orange street cat he called “Hampden’s mascot.” “I guess you’d call them yuppies. They’re always trying to buy my house.”

Baltimore has a history of being a Balkanized city, with neighborhoods often cleaving along ethnic and religious lines, said Elizabeth M. Nix, a history professor at the University of Baltimore. Hampden, she said, has always been slightly different, its identity forged by the workers drawn from the South and Appalachia to the jobs in nearby mills and factories, and its geographic isolation from the rest of the city, with a river, a highway, park space and the campus of Johns Hopkins University hemming it in.

“It was very much a place of its own,” Professor Nix said.

Not unlike many communities in America, newer generations in Hampden have been left to confront an ugly racial past. The neighborhood gained broader notoriety from news accounts of racially tinged episodes, including one in the late 1980s when a black family was chased out by white residents who broke their windows, threw rocks and hurled racial epithets, and another in 1987 when there was a melee outside of a school involving black and white students that community leaders described as an outburst of mounting racial tension.

Bruce Bryan, a jewelry maker with a shop on The Avenue, grew up in Waverly, a nearby neighborhood. Mr. Bryan, who is white, remembered coming to Hampden with a black friend to buy wheels for their skateboards, and people in the neighborhood throwing bottles at them. “This neighborhood was not cute when I was a kid,” Mr. Bryan said.

Many neighbors said those attitudes were no longer welcome in Hampden, even if people who hold racist views might still be around. “I’m here,” said Jenifer Almond, a white resident who moved in about a year ago. “I’m an energy healer. I’m going to send out lots of love.”

As much as the neighborhood has changed, Hampden remains largely white, and its reputation has been hard to shake. Some black residents who are recent arrivals said that when they tell other black people elsewhere in the city where they live, they are met with a cocked eyebrow.

Mr. Jackson’s arrest has been a reminder of that legacy. “It brought up the undercurrent of uneasy race relations,” Marlene Underwood, who moved to Hampden three years ago, said.

Black residents in Hampden said they did not face the kind of outright hostility that led previous families to flee. These days, though, they say they encounter far more subtle reminders that they are still very much in the minority in Hampden.

Shacara Waithe, who has lived in Hampden for four years, said she takes her 17-month-old daughter to story time at the local library every week, and has noticed that she is typically the only black mother in the room; a few are Asian, and the dozens of others are white. She also recalled a neighbor warning on a community message board that a “tall black guy” had been spotted walking around.

“That tall black guy is my husband,” she replied. “He’s a pilot.”

Ms. Underwood, Ms. Waithe’s neighbor, said that sometimes when she sees other black people in the neighborhood, she cannot help wondering: “Is that our new neighbor, or are they just passing through?”

As residents heard of Mr. Caughman’s killing and how the suspect had lived in their neighborhood, some admitted that, initially, they assumed he might be a descendant of Hampden’s old guard. But as they learned otherwise, there were some who found the situation even more alarming. Mr. Jackson’s background aligned more closely with the people moving in: He was a transplant, who grew up in the suburbs, and was educated in one of Baltimore’s elite private schools.

“There’s this new Hampden, and there’s old Hampden,” Ms. Waithe said, standing along The Avenue, holding her daughter after the vigil. “And he’s not old Hampden, and that’s scary.”
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope he faces a firing squad.
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

Ok congratulations bro, u threw your life away over ppl u hate... most stay away from ppl they hate and live a life of freedom

And your victim was 66, he lived his life. Hold that L
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn, I need to get back into kendo and iaido. There's about to be sword fighting in the streets.
  • stringer bell
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/03/23/james-jackson-liked-alt-right-videos-claimed-he-was-a-genius-in-army-intelligence.html
    James Jackson Liked Alt-Right Videos, Claimed He Was a Genius in Army Intelligence

A veteran accused of murdering a black man in New York showed signs of radicalization online after what appears to be an accomplished military career.

Well it looks like he was Alt-White SupremacistRight fanboy.. Steve Bannon & Breitbart must be proud...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • stringer bell
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/james-jackson-twisted-regrets-killing-timothy-caughman-article-1.3009736
    EXCLUSIVE: White supremacist James Jackson reveals deranged desire to ? black men to save white women in jailhouse interview

The racist who fatally drove a sword through 66-year-old Timothy Caughman said Sunday he hoped the attack would stop white women from entering relationships with black men.

In an exclusive Rikers Island interview with the Daily News, James Jackson, 28, offered a window into his deranged, hate-filled psyche.

He shared details about his upbringing with “typical liberal” parents, his wishes to have shed more African-American blood, and his fear of being killed in custody now that he is being held in a jail with a largely minority inmate population and staff.

During the disturbing sitdown, Johnson was at times self-aggrandizing, boasting of his white supremacy without shame. In other moments, he appeared dejected by society’s rejection of his violent, racist message — which echoed another notorious racist killer, South Carolina church gunman Dylann Roof.

Most chillingly, Jackson said he had traveled to New York from Baltimore intending to ? numerous black men, imagining that the bloodshed would deter white women from interracial relationships. “‘Well, if that guy feels so strongly about it, maybe I shouldn’t do it,’” he said, imagining how he wanted a white woman to think.

Jackson said he grew up in an “almost all-white” area outside of Baltimore. “My family is as liberal as they come ... typical liberal Democrats,” he said.

His grandfather in Louisiana was “very pro-integration” and had crosses burned on his lawn, he said.

Jackson said he had his first racist thoughts when he was just 3. As he grew older, he only shared his views with “like-minded people” online, he said. He mentioned the website Daily Stormer — which was also frequented by Roof, who was sentenced to death for killing nine black worshipers in 2015.

“The white race is being eroded. ... No one cares about you. The Chinese don’t care about you, the blacks don’t care about you,” he said.

Jackson graduated in 2007 from a prestigious Quaker school, Friends School of Baltimore, but its message of peace didn’t take.

“I guess it’s like anything — if something gets pushed on you too much, you reject it,” he said.

In 2008, Jackson said, he voted for Barack Obama for President, one of the few people of mixed race he said he could respect. “I couldn’t let Palin get in there. She’s stupid,” he said, referencing then-Republican candidate for vice president Sarah Palin.

In 2009, he joined the Army and served as a military intelligence analyst in Kabul. He loved the “sense of mission” and embraced a vision of the U.S. as an imperialist power.

He was discharged in 2012 after winning several awards.

The military training, he said, helped him plan to ? black men. “I had been thinking about it for a long time, for the past couple of years,” he said. “I figured I would end up getting shot by police, ? myself, or end up in jail.”

His most recent address was in Hampden, a northern Baltimore neighborhood that is 78% white in a city that is 70% nonwhite.

On March 17, he took a bus from Baltimore to New York and got a room in the Hotel Times Square. He’d chosen the area to maximize his media exposure, police sources said.

Sources said he stalked one black man last Monday but got “spooked” and turned his attention to Caughman. The bottle collector from Jamaica, Queens, was well-liked by neighbors and delighted in taking pictures of himself with celebrities.

At 11:30 p.m. at 36th St. and Ninth Ave., Jackson plunged a sword with an 18-inch blade into Caughman’s chest.

“I figured they were fatal blows,” Jackson said.

Caughman died at Bellevue Hospital.

Jackson had a sick regret about his victim, who was chosen at random. “I didn’t know he was elderly,” he said. He would have rather killed “a young thug” or “a successful older black man with blonds ... people you see in Midtown. These younger guys that put white girls on the wrong path.

Jackson said he’d intended for the killing to be “a practice run” — the first step in a larger plan with many more casualties.

But his bloodlust diminished after the killing. “I got depressed. ...I saw it was too late. It’s irreversible,” he said, adding, “I didn’t want to put my family through any more pain.”

And what of the white women repulsed by his violent, hateful ideology? “That’s the problem,” he said.

He turned himself in to police in Times Square on Wednesday. He is charged with murder as a hate crime.

He didn’t understand how the charge applied to him.

“I don’t hate anyone I don’t think is on my level,” he said.

Mayor de Blasio called the attack “domestic, racist terrorism.”

Life at Rikers Island has been a real eyeopener for Jackson. The inmate population is 55% black, and Correction Department staff is 65% black. “I thought it would be 40% white, 40% black, 20% Hispanic ... and all the guards, I didn’t expect so many would be black,” he said.

He is in protective custody, watching and reading news as much as 10 hours a day.

“It’s like every other commercial in the past few years has a mixed-race couple in it,” he said.

He said he had received about 50 death threats while at the Manhattan Detention Complex.

“I think I’m going to die here," he said matter-of-factly. “I don’t blame them, I’d feel the same if I were in their shoes.”

Jackson had one last piece of advice for a News reporter: have children. “Good white women should have as many children as possible,” he said, defining “good” as “smart, sane women.”

His solution for how those women support themselves was to “go on welfare.”

His ideal society was “1950s America.”

A News reporter pointed out that it is 2017. “I know. I’m too late. We’re screwed,” Jackson said.
  • stringer bell
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/spicer-won-acknowledge-timothy-caughman-murder-hate-crime-article-1.3010710
    Sean Spicer refuses to acknowledge NYC stab victim Timothy Caughman's murder as hate crime

White House spokesman Sean Spicer sidestepped questions Monday over the murder of Timothy Caughman, using questions over the heinous slaying to defend people on “the right” he said were blamed too quickly for a recent wave of anti-Semitic threats.

Just hours before James Jackson was charged with murder as an act of terrorism for fatally stabbing Caughman in Midtown, Spicer was asked during his daily press briefing Monday to condemn the race-driven attack and speak about the rise of hate crimes that has beset the nation in recent months.

Referencing a front page story from Monday’s Daily News, American Urban Radio Networks reporter April Ryan told Spicer that Jackson “gave a statement to a reporter talking about he wishes the man were younger and he was a thug that (was) killed. So what do you say to this? This is clear — it’s racism at its ugliest.”

Instead, Spicer dodged and weaved, claiming that President Trump “wanted to unite the country,” citing the commander-in-chief’s recent sitdown with the Congressional Black Caucus, and stating broadly that “hate crimes and anti-Semitic crimes of any nature should be called out.”

“There is no room for that in our country,” he said.

He then launched into a diatribe against the media for “immediately jumping” on “people on the right” regarding a wave of bomb threats against Jewish community centers.

Many of the calls were ultimately traced back to a 19-year-old with dual American and Israeli citizenship.

“And it turns out, it wasn’t someone on the right,” Spicer said.

“There’s no question, black and white, we need to call out all instances,” he added. “But I do think there’s been a rush to judgment on some of the anti-Semitic cases.”

“In that particular case, we saw that the President was right,” Spicer said. “And a lot of the folks on the left were wrong.”

He said he didn’t know details of the Jackson case, which took place in the President’s hometown, and where Trump’s wife and young son still live.

Jackson, 28, had traveled to New York from Baltimore with the explicit purpose of killing a black person, officials said, and had stalked several blacks before settling on Caughman, a 66-year-old bottle collector from Queens.

The former soldier, who served with the Army in Afghanistan, said he’d intended for the killing to be “a practice run” — the first step in a larger plan with many more casualties.

While the President has called out specific terror attacks abroad by Muslim extremists, he’s been largely silent about the surge in hate crimes in the U.S., except to say he condemns racism and hate crimes generally.

Mayor de Blasio’s spokesman Eric Phillips took a shot at his White House counterpart later on Twitter, saying, “Words matter and it’s the spokesperson’s job to get them right. Call it what it is, Sean. It’s a hate crime — and it’s terrorism.”