Interview tips, tricks, and info

marie addams
marie addams Members Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
edited July 2011 in Strictly Business
**mods please sticky and maybe move to strictly business later?..I just wanted gns heads to know this thread exists.**

There was one long ago before the site went down that had loads of helpful information on interviewing, resumes, etc (some of which has helped me with employment in the past)

so....yeah. calling all hiring managers and HR personnel please contribute what you can to this thread. I'm sure a lot of people here could use it with the unemployment situation being what it is right now...

Me personally? I need tips on what I can expect on a second interview. Will I be asked the same questions? What might the employer be looking for at this point? What should I ask of them at this point? any help would be appreciated. thx!

Comments

• The Prime Minister
    The Prime Minister Members Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Make sure your finger nails are clean.
  • DEE-LICIOUS
    DEE-LICIOUS Members Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    PLEASE be knowledgeable on the company you are interviewing with and come prepared with questions to ask them that showcase your research.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    i like this thread......

just relax and be yourself
    dont seem too cocky or too reserved
    know some info about the job before you go on the interview
    ask questions

those are just a few
  • marie addams
    edited July 2010
    Make sure your finger nails are clean.

check! I'm about to take this anime blue nail polish off tonight.
  • Tommy Billfiger
    Tommy Billfiger Banned Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Have a professional presentation and use big words and you good money

On my last interview I was in a zone usin big words like repertoire,echelon and systematic and the HR lady was damn near star struck.I got offered the gig and the whole 9
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Every second interview I ever had has been pretty easy, they basically offering you the job at a 2nd interview
  • Coo Coo Cal's Beanie
    Coo Coo Cal's Beanie Members Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Have a professional presentation and use big words and you good money

On my last interview I was in a zone usin big words like repertoire,echelon and systematic and the HR lady was damn near star struck.I got offered the gig and the whole 9
    rofl..........
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    smh@ this only getting 4 serious responses

? dont do job interviews huh

lunchtime ? stay winning
  • Bcotton5
    edited July 2010
    My homie's sister work in HR she gave me this sheet that basically tell you every question you will ever get asked in a interview

Ill post it if I get a min
  • haute
    haute Members Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    c/s Dee

definitely do your research

and think about what was asked of you during the first interview, try use the second to expand on some the response you gave first time around
  • marie addams
    edited July 2010
    Every second interview I ever had has been pretty easy, they basically offering you the job at a 2nd interview

YESSSS!!!
    I hope this holds true. the woman did seem a little excited like she was trying to hold a secret when she called.
  • Purr
    Purr Members Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    smile.

research the company.
    Always show them the benefits of why the company should hire you.
    Sell yourself as if you were a brand that the company needed to buy.
  • Bcotton5
    edited July 2010
    My homie's sister work in HR she gave me this sheet that basically tell you every question you will ever get asked in a interview

Ill post it if I get a min

Questions What 3 factors are most important to you in finding a place to work?
    Answers:

1.Postitive work environment
    2.Opportunities to grow and develop my skills
    3. People I work with-good team work

Give me an example of a time when you had to communicate a difficult message to someone?

Give me an example of a time when you were able to identify a problem before it became a major issue?

Give me an ex of a time when you displayed teamwork or served as a role model for others?

Tell me about a time when you had a conflict with a supervisor. What was the situation and how did you handle it?

Why are you interested in working at .......?

What are your short term goals?

Long term goals?

What hours are you available to work?

Tell me a little bit about yourself?

Questions to ask the interviewer

What type of performance reviews can I expect in this position? How often would I receive feedback about my performance?

What type of advancement oppurtunities would this postion offer in the future?

What type of training would I receive with this postion?
  • Bcotton5
    edited July 2010
    And send a "thank you letter" to them after the interview, ? works every time alot of ppl skip this

Just copy & paste a generic 1 and fill it out
  • jay83
    jay83 Members Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    just ask how much does it pay?

And when they tell you say "DAMNNNNN!".
  • Bcotton5
    edited July 2010
    Damn I typed all that for nothing didnt I lol
  • Tommy Billfiger
    Tommy Billfiger Banned Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭
    edited July 2010

Absolutely not.I need answers I'm tryna get a good job just post all of it every question/ answer if u can

Good lookin out ? .I need this info Im not some boardroom corporate geek I need help asap
  • Bcotton5
    edited July 2010
    Absolutely not.I need answers I'm tryna get a good job just post all of it every question/ answer if u can

Good lookin out ? .I need this info Im not some boardroom corporate geek I need help asap

That was all of it , she's the head of her HR department at her job and she interview ppl all the time, she hooked me up with it

I swear every interview I had since she gave me that, they been reading them questions word for word
  • marie addams
    edited July 2010

lol no you didn't. there have been some great responses so far aside from the few silly ones. i'm literally writing notes, gonna prepare a cheat sheet tonight or tomorrow. My interview isn't until Thursday

should I use actual thank you cards or would just a nice piece of stationary do?
  • Bcotton5
    edited July 2010
    lol no you didn't. there have been some great responses so far aside from the few silly ones. i'm literally writing notes, gonna prepare a cheat sheet tonight or tomorrow. My interview isn't until Thursday

should I use actual thank you cards or would just a nice piece of stationary do?

Stationary, just peep this one or search for a template on google, just fill out whatever applies to your situation

http://www.quintcareers.com/sample_thankyou_letter.html
  • shootemwon
    shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
    edited July 2010
    I always feel like I don't have an adequate question or two when they ask me if I have any questions. I always come up with something cause I don't wanna seem uninterested, but how about some advice on what kind of questions to ask that don't sound stupid or forced? I'm obviously not gonna say "How many vacation days do I get?" or some dumb ? like that, but what's a good question?

Also, when they ask "what do you think this job should pay?", what's the appropriate response? Be honest?
  • Dick Shitman
    Dick Shitman Members Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    follow up with a thank you letter/e-mail, no matter how you think the interview went
    And send a "thank you letter" to them after the interview, ? works every time alot of ppl skip this

Just copy & paste a generic 1 and fill it out

edit: just saw this post. damn lol
  • Bcotton5
    edited July 2010
    shootemwon wrote: »
    I always feel like I don't have an adequate question or two when they ask me if I have any questions. I always come up with something cause I don't wanna seem uninterested, but how about some advice on what kind of questions to ask that don't sound stupid or forced? I'm obviously not gonna say "How many vacation days do I get?" or some dumb ? like that, but what's a good question?

Also, when they ask "what do you think this job should pay?", what's the appropriate response? Be honest?

What type of performance reviews can I expect in this position? How often would I receive feedback about my performance?

Never been asked what I think it should pay, just say its negotiable
  • marie addams
    edited July 2010
    shootemwon wrote: »

I've read that if they ask for a definitive answer to just be real. Give them the least amount you'd feel comfortable working for. That way you wont resent the whole damn establishment on those rough days lol and you don't feel unappreciated
  • shootemwon
    shootemwon Members Posts: 4,635 ✭✭
    edited July 2010

Never been asked what I think it should pay, just say its negotiable

Nice. One trick I use is to listen for something they say that I can reference in a question. Like "You said this job would involve a good amount of ___________, can you give me a little be more detail on how that will relate to my responsibilities in this position?"

That's something that I like cause i think it shows you're paying attention and thinking ahead to putting in work for them, but does it sound too forced?