Old article: Obama’s scolding tone with black audiences is getting old...and a few comments

Options

Comments

• 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    My only issue with Obama was him not doing anything about these race soldiers unjustly killing black people. Imagine if we had an Asian, Jewish, or ? president and we see race soldiers murdering any of those groups at the rate black people were getting murdered, and them not doing anything to help their own. They would've done something about that ? . And if Obama can give criticism of the black community then I can give criticism about his presidency.

two different things....

those groups are a unit....we are a unit when its convenient and even then we have ? who want to be mavericks.

Obama had a very hard job and I understand the bigger picture.

cut him some slack

He didn't cut us any slack when he sat up there and called black kids "thugs" after the Baltimore uprising, nor did he cut us slack whenever he got on his soapbox to criticize black people. Nor did he cut us slack when he saw black people get slaughtered by race soldiers and did nothing about it. Like I said before if he can criticize black people then I can criticize him.
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ghostdog56 wrote: »
    charles2 wrote: »
    We scold because we love. If you don't give a ? you don't waste your breath.

this is simple yet the most powerful post in the history of the IC.

the perspective of the person receiving it will take it as looking down on them because their mindframe is fukked up.

if you know someone wants better for you...you will take it as encouragement

But couldn't people who are scolding Obama say they are scolding him because we love

Obama has been where they are...they have not been where he is.

he can say what it takes to get out

those people cant tell him how to do better.

Been where? He didn't come from the background of the type of people he is talking about

was he not in chicago?

do you have to struggle to know what it is to be a black man?

whats the difference between a black man from hawaii and a black man from chicago?

nothing

Don't be naive

I get your point but you're a missing ours
  • manofmorehouse
    manofmorehouse Members Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It seems like no one wants to have a mirror put to our collective problems. Everything in the black community is great, right?? At some point, we have to start looking at ourselves and saying how can we improve ourselves from within. Why is it that the first thing we say when blacks bring up things we've done is "well, u ain't saying this to whites". The ? ?? When have whites ever did anything to help us??

It's ? on this site with multiple baby mommas, extensive criminal records, pimps, gang members, etc but genuinely ask what can another man (the president) do for them. How about u improve your situation for you and your immediate family? It's ? that I grew up with that's still in the same condition they were in from high school. No one can give u drive. But it's these sensitive ass Drake generation that can't take criticism.

? stay complaining about what Obama didn't do but they didn't go out and vote for democratic representatives to help put legislation through Congress. Y'all the same ? that's gone ask why Westbrook can't win a championship this year with no real help lol. Y'all got it. I'm off my soap box. Catch feelings....

fact is at one point he had a problem with his messaging to the blk community

his tone was at times paternalistic and condescending.....different from when he spoke to other audiences

it matters and is problematic because it perpetuated the myth that blk ppl, blk culture does not value education same as non blks and is more morally bankrupt than other cultures, races

framing blks as deficient and pathological

given that he was the president of the united states and his words reach millions of ppl, it was problematic

So then we as a community need to be pacified?? He's a black man that, contrary to some peoples opinion, understands black plight in America. Being a successful black man in america and leader of the free world at the time, I think his opinion on things would matter. But I'll take the bait: how should a black man address black people about black problems? Given your profile name, I assume you're a black woman. Speak on it....

How does he understand the plight of black Americans? He comes from an immigrant father and a white mother he has no connection to black Americans history other than skin color

U really assume that just cause you're biracial or come from money as a black man, your experience to racism isn't the same?? Of course, he knows the plight of African americans. He was a ? community organizer in Chicago, one of the few blacks at occidental and Harvard, and had just finished paying off his student loans before he became senator. Just cause he ain't eating cereal with a fork don't make him any less black than u, playboy
  • ghostdog56
    ghostdog56 Members Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

the perspective of the person receiving it will take it as looking down on them because their mindframe is fukked up.

But couldn't people who are scolding Obama say they are scolding him because we love

Been where? He didn't come from the background of the type of people he is talking about

was he not in chicago?

whats the difference between a black man from hawaii and a black man from chicago?

nothing

But how can a person speak on the conditions of someone struggling if they never struggled themselves?
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It seems like no one wants to have a mirror put to our collective problems. Everything in the black community is great, right?? At some point, we have to start looking at ourselves and saying how can we improve ourselves from within. Why is it that the first thing we say when blacks bring up things we've done is "well, u ain't saying this to whites". The ? ?? When have whites ever did anything to help us??

It's ? on this site with multiple baby mommas, extensive criminal records, pimps, gang members, etc but genuinely ask what can another man (the president) do for them. How about u improve your situation for you and your immediate family? It's ? that I grew up with that's still in the same condition they were in from high school. No one can give u drive. But it's these sensitive ass Drake generation that can't take criticism.

? stay complaining about what Obama didn't do but they didn't go out and vote for democratic representatives to help put legislation through Congress. Y'all the same ? that's gone ask why Westbrook can't win a championship this year with no real help lol. Y'all got it. I'm off my soap box. Catch feelings....

his tone was at times paternalistic and condescending.....different from when he spoke to other audiences

it matters and is problematic because it perpetuated the myth that blk ppl, blk culture does not value education same as non blks and is more morally bankrupt than other cultures, races

given that he was the president of the united states and his words reach millions of ppl, it was problematic

So then we as a community need to be pacified?? He's a black man that, contrary to some peoples opinion, understands black plight in America. Being a successful black man in america and leader of the free world at the time, I think his opinion on things would matter. But I'll take the bait: how should a black man address black people about black problems? Given your profile name, I assume you're a black woman. Speak on it....

How does he understand the plight of black Americans? He comes from an immigrant father and a white mother he has no connection to black Americans history other than skin color

see...here is another problem...

why does he have to live it in order to give advice or want to help?
    if you was homeless, would you turn away food or money because someone has never been homeless and doesnt know $5 wont buy much? would you turn away the money?

cmon

we are better than this.

this always turns into the hood vs the hamptons or whos qualified to speak on black matters or who aint real enough or black enough.

at what point will we see that help is help.

take what you need to help you grow.

i personally see the power of my people.

these backgrounds yall so proud of has made you into a soldier that can go anywhere and survive. the ? alot of people live daily and take as normal life...alot of people cant operate in.

your average black man can not be shook easily. the way we carry ourselves, the confidence, the swag the go get it attitude when it comes to certain things.......that ? can not be taught.

our ability to see supply and demand, to not be ? ...to have a certain degree of morals.

that what makes us so unique.

that is what makes us leaders.

now the question is ....will you lead your people to the club or to greatness.

i choose to lead you to greatness.

if you want to fight someone....look around an fight the people who are not encouraging you to be the best you ,you can be

• manofmorehouse
    Options

was he not in chicago?

nothing

But how can a person speak on the conditions of someone struggling if they never struggled themselves?

Bruh, all struggle doesn't have to be financial. You're a black man, I assume. So u should know that. Money wouldn't change how you're perceived in America. C'mon bruh
  • ghostdog56
    Options
    And the difference is a black man from Hawaii more than likely has money to be able to afford to live there. Now if you talking about a rich black man from Chicago then you have a point
  • MarcusGarvey
    edited April 2017
    Options
    No one is questioning his blackness but we are saying the environment he was raised in was different. it afforded him opportunities the median African American (descendant of a slave) didn't have.
    Lineage matters, while his grandmother was VP at a Hawaii bank, on the mainland where would the grandmother of a man his age be working?

How many black families that are descendants of slaves will inherit $500k from their grandmother which means he was getting broke off during his life, how many have the Harvard alum box checked off?

Michelle's story is more in line with the median African American family
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    7figz wrote: »
    I don't know how else to explain it to y'all.

It sounds like y'all are saying that people who lecture (based on stereotypes) can be indiscriminate about it, and any Black man should have the "patience of Job" listening to said lectures, even if it doesn't refer to them.

I don't see it that way. For instance, what if there wasn't one Black guy in the room who had a BM, and instead several who had been assaulted by police ? You really think they should just sit back and take a lecture about the stereotype you have for Black men, in stride ?

If so, that's your business. I don't have time for that ? .

And if MFs don't see the harm caused by assuming that all Black people do some negative ? , or always talking about that, instead of positive /responsible ? we doing - then I don't know what to tell you either.

unless he said all...they ? dont apply to me.

then i need to stand up and bring attention to the fact i was assaulted and i dont have a bm, and thats what i would like to discuss.

why would you as a man, not try to steer the conversation but sit there and stew and steam over something that doesnt effect you?

maybe its the constant barrage of..black people aint ? form the media has some people mind jaded to think anything and everything is criticism.
  • manofmorehouse
    Options
    No one is questioning his blackness but we are saying the environment he was raised in was different. it afforded him opportunities the median African American (descendant of a slave) didn't have.
    Lineage matters, while his grandmother was VP at a Hawaii bank, on the mainland where would the grandmother of a man his age be working?

How many black families that are descendants of slaves will inherit $500k from their grandmother which means he was getting broke off during his life, how many have the Harvard alum box checked off?

And Michelle chose Obama. So that either speaks volumes about him or volumes about her. I'll let u determine which is which
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    My only issue with Obama was him not doing anything about these race soldiers unjustly killing black people. Imagine if we had an Asian, Jewish, or ? president and we see race soldiers murdering any of those groups at the rate black people were getting murdered, and them not doing anything to help their own. They would've done something about that ? . And if Obama can give criticism of the black community then I can give criticism about his presidency.

two different things....

those groups are a unit....we are a unit when its convenient and even then we have ? who want to be mavericks.

cut him some slack

He didn't cut us any slack when he sat up there and called black kids "thugs" after the Baltimore uprising, nor did he cut us slack whenever he got on his soapbox to criticize black people. Nor did he cut us slack when he saw black people get slaughtered by race soldiers and did nothing about it. Like I said before if he can criticize black people then I can criticize him.

again he is not perfect....this man has to basically steer the direction of the world. you might have been hearing frustration.

using myself.....i am often frustrated seeing some many white people barely getting by..just because of their color. being in the right place, knowing someone. whatever. yet, when i come back to my foundation, i am always questioned about dumb ? from parent, that should not even matter.

you guys are hard on obama just like the white people..is not harder.

this is why i said.....being a successful black man is the hardest job on this planet. simply because everything you do or say will be used against you to prove you aint ? .
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

was he not in chicago?

nothing

Don't be naive

I get your point but you're a missing ours

and what point is that...please tell me. help me understand. speak to me like i am a 5 yr old
  • ghostdog56
    Options

was he not in chicago?

nothing

Bruh, all struggle doesn't have to be financial. You're a black man, I assume. So u should know that. Money wouldn't change how you're perceived in America. C'mon bruh

The money will insulate you from a lot of their ?
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

was he not in chicago?

nothing

maybe because he know the opportunities that await us...if a few things changed.
  • MarcusGarvey
    edited April 2017
    Options

And Michelle chose Obama. So that either speaks volumes about him or volumes about her. I'll let u determine which is which

Not sure how that matters?
    Argument is specific to his childhood and how the circumstances were very different than most African Americans his age
  • ghostdog56
    Options

was he not in chicago?

nothing

maybe because he know the opportunities that await us...if a few things changed.

Didn't he just have the power to put some of those changes in motion but chose not to?
  • manofmorehouse
    Options

two different things....

cut him some slack

again he is not perfect....this man has to basically steer the direction of the world. you might have been hearing frustration.

using myself.....i am often frustrated seeing some many white people barely getting by..just because of their color. being in the right place, knowing someone. whatever. yet, when i come back to my foundation, i am always questioned about dumb ? from parent, that should not even matter.

you guys are hard on obama just like the white people..is not harder.

this is why i said.....being a successful black man is the hardest job on this planet. simply because everything you do or say will be used against you to prove you aint ? .

Pretty much. U either a black man in his way to coming up and getting praise from African Americans or you've made it and now u a sell out lol. Look at every black man that's reached the pinnacle of success. He either "sold out", is ? , a part of the illuminati, or some other ? . And it's usually us perpetuating this dumb ? . But ? it. U either sugarcoat our problems or u hating. Our problems will continue
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    And the difference is a black man from Hawaii more than likely has money to be able to afford to live there. Now if you talking about a rich black man from Chicago then you have a point

have you even been to Hawaii?

they are some racist as people.

he may not have had to worry about his next meal, but that doesnt mean he didnt struggle in his enviroment.

look bruh,

we all have a story. all of us.

try focusing on the common ground rather than saying, "well he aint like us" cuz....did you ever think...he was often told.."well, he aint like us" back in hawaii?"

hybrids are often confused because they dont know where they fit in along racial lines, they are never black enough or too black.

none of us will win this if we keep pointing out who can tell you what to do or if he aint from the hood he cant tell us how to make it out.

we place too many restrictions on what and who can help us.

do we all need help? yes,

if i am higher than you in one area doesnt mean you cant teach me something in another area because you are higher.
  • Madame_CJSkywalker
    Madame_CJSkywalker Members Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

he shouldn't speak in a paternalistic and condescending tone

and not perpetuate negative stereotypes

• manofmorehouse
    Options

he shouldn't speak in a paternalistic and condescending tone

and not perpetuate negative stereotypes

So sugarcoat?? Got it
  • MarcusGarvey
    Options
    I don't see whats controversial or demeaning about what we wrote

Facts - he went to a private high school
    Facts - his grandmother was a VP at a bank
    Facts - his father went to Harvard
    Facts - he inherited $500k
    Facts - these are all different than the average black man his age
    Facts - takes nothing away from him but these are the breaks
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

bruh....maybe changing your enviroment or location will show you just how much opportunity is available.

if you at a job that aint going nowhere...maybe you should change jobs.

only you can help you be better.

an this aint about looking down on anyone...i am saying its a big world out there. money for everyone.

everywhere i have been i seen africans trying to go get it. fearless in the face of white people.

so when i see that, i know we can do it.

somalians and ethopian float here to europe on rafts and makeshift boats.

seeing that ? with my own eyes is some very humbling ? .
    then i go back to philly and ? dont even want to go into jobcorp a few towns over.

we are better than that. i know it and i can see it.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    edited April 2017
    Options

was he not in chicago?

nothing

Didn't he just have the power to put some of those changes in motion but chose not to?

how you know he didnt try?
    how do you know the things he did do, that helped you in other ways?

all help is not always seen.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options

was he not in chicago?

nothing

The money will insulate you from a lot of their ?

you think so?

please tell me how.

cause from what a few on this site will say.....just cuz you have a few dollars you still a ? .

now you telling me cuz i have a few dollars i aint a ? ?

which is it?
  • MarcusGarvey
    Options

bruh....maybe changing your enviroment or location will show you just how much opportunity is available.

if you at a job that aint going nowhere...maybe you should change jobs.

only you can help you be better.

an this aint about looking down on anyone...i am saying its a big world out there. money for everyone.

everywhere i have been i seen africans trying to go get it. fearless in the face of white people.

so when i see that, i know we can do it.

somalians and ethopian float here to europe on rafts and makeshift boats.

seeing that ? with my own eyes is some very humbling ? .
    then i go back to philly and ? dont even want to go into jobcorp a few towns over.

we are better than that. i know it and i can see it.

You can't change where you start but you can where you finish, however where you start can determine how fast or likely it is you will cross the line. I get it though, men gotta do better, sistas been carrying the burden for a while