A short documentary on christ bearer & mental health

Options
blue_london
blue_london Members Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
https://youtu.be/-O3mvC3Jh_Q

Mental health is a huge issue in our communities and it needs to be addressed.

Comments

• Sandinista
    Sandinista Members Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Word.

Treated many a brother and sister with mental health issues (depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, etc) and ? was always heartbreaking.

- their medicine were expensive as ? so half of them couldn't afford to be treated

- Their families couldn't deal with the burden of taking care of someone with a mental illness and so I saw a lot of homelessness or quasi-homelessness (sleeping in a different relative's crib every other day, etc)

- a lot of them didn't have insurance so I couldn't get them into see a psychiatrist. Since I wasn't trained in psychiatry I didn't feel comfortable upping their doses or changing their meds around so they were chronically undertreated

Sad ? all around
  • blue_london
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Sandinista wrote: »
    Word.

Treated many a brother and sister with mental health issues (depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, etc) and ? was always heartbreaking.

- their medicine were expensive as ? so half of them couldn't afford to be treated

- Their families couldn't deal with the burden of taking care of someone with a mental illness and so I saw a lot of homelessness or quasi-homelessness (sleeping in a different relative's crib every other day, etc)

- a lot of them didn't have insurance so I couldn't get them into see a psychiatrist. Since I wasn't trained in psychiatry I didn't feel comfortable upping their doses or changing their meds around so they were chronically undertreated

Sad ? all around

It's a stigma with most. people need to stop thinking they can drink away their problems​ or if it a religious house that you can prey it away
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yo I was trying to be an adult and sympathetic while watching this sad ? but I'm sorry to say I nearly spit out my capri-sun when I heard him say:

"I chopped off more than my fair share of my ? "

• kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ive never known mental health to be a "stigma" with black people. I always side eye that ? when I see that claim.
  • freethewave
    freethewave Members Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'd say this was more to do with being out of it on ? than depression.
  • blue_london
    Options
    I'd say this was more to do with being out of it on ? than depression.

He said he was taking the drugs drinking etc to escape his depression
  • OnnaThursday
    OnnaThursday Members Posts: 238 ✭✭
    Options
    kzzl wrote: »
    Ive never known mental health to be a "stigma" with black people. I always side eye that ? when I see that claim.

Well I know in the south it is an issue. Nobody wants to be consider "crazy" so nobody reports their family or friends. A lot of unfortunate incidents have occurred that may have been prevented with proper knowledge and care
  • illestni99ainne
    illestni99ainne Members Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SneakDZA wrote: »
    Yo I was trying to be an adult and sympathetic while watching this sad ? but I'm sorry to say I nearly spit out my capri-sun when I heard him say:

"I chopped off more than my fair share of my ? "

Agreed. But this was bizarre and funny af when it happened
    http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/514009/wu-tang-affiliate-has-nothing-to-? -with/p1
  • KamPushMe
    KamPushMe Members Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It takes a lot of guts to speak up on this.
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Well I know in the south it is an issue. Nobody wants to be consider "crazy" so nobody reports their family or friends. A lot of unfortunate incidents have occurred that may have been prevented with proper knowledge and care

Living in Louisiana for the last 34 years, I've never known shame to be an obstacle. ? aint worried about being called crazy like that. Now there are other reasons for the mentally ill not receiving proper treatment. ? like the red tape, the cost of prescriptions, a lack of faith in healthcare, location, poor treatment, and some other circumstances.

But shame? Some, "I don't want people to talk about me", type ? ? Nah, I aint buying that. A more common issue is families not getting enough help. MFers be willing to show you how crazy they are more than anything. If i saw the ? "they" claim is the problem, it would be new to me.
  • OnnaThursday
    OnnaThursday Members Posts: 238 ✭✭
    Options

Living in Louisiana for the last 34 years, I've never known shame to be an obstacle. ? aint worried about being called crazy like that. Now there are other reasons for the mentally ill not receiving proper treatment. ? like the red tape, the cost of prescriptions, a lack of faith in healthcare, location, poor treatment, and some other circumstances.

But shame? Some, "I don't want people to talk about me", type ? ? Nah, I aint buying that. A more common issue is families not getting enough help. MFers be willing to show you how crazy they are more than anything. If i saw the ? "they" claim is the problem, it would be new to me.

I think that's a broad statement. There's a distinct difference between people claiming to be crazy and people having mental issues. I disagree about people not worried about being called crazy. You would be surprised by the levels people will go just to cover something up and change perception. I will say that I haven't spent anytime in Louisiana to comment on things there, but in GA growing up you didn't wanna be considered not right in the head because people would group that up with being "? ".
  • G.Avant
    G.Avant Members, Writer Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? don't want to admit to mental health issues in the black community because "weakness" is so frowned upon. Especially for a male.
  • blue_london
    Options
    https://youtu.be/tC3BHZKA57s

A good chat about mental health in the community