Have crosses, pictures of "Jesus/? " in your house?

Options
VIBE
VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2010 in R & R (Religion and Race)
If so, why?

Thou shalt have no other gods before me. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness [of any thing] that [is] in heaven above, or that [is] in the earth beneath, or that [is] in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy ? [am] a jealous ? , visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth [generation] of them that hate me;

Exodus 20:3-5

Comments

• Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Nope, I don't.
  • bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    i have a pic of the ? mc pac thats it
  • bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    the part you highlighted red,tell that to the millions of people who paid money to see jesus get beat to ? in passion of the christ
  • VIBE
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Chike wrote: »
    Nope, I don't.

My mother in law does, and when I stated this to her she got mad and said it was okay because it's "Christian" lol

This is why I don't have a title to my beliefs. I just say I'm a 'Man of ? ' and that's it. I won't go to Church because well, at the Church there is these images. SMH, the Church is wrong in a few ways/ideas. I don't agree with that.
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    VIBE86 wrote: »
    My mother in law does, and when I stated this to her she got mad and said it was okay because it's "Christian" lol

This is why I don't have a title to my beliefs. I just say I'm a 'Man of ? ' and that's it. I won't go to Church because well, at the Church there is these images. SMH, the Church is wrong in a few ways/ideas. I don't agree with that.

There's so many things wrong with "The Church" it's not even funny. Actually it's quite scary.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Wouldn't that constitue false idol seeing how no1 for sure knows what Yeshua looks like and ppl would have up Ceasar Bolgiara (sp)
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options

Not every church has images of Jesus Christ. I know the church that I attend doesn't. ? tells us to not forsake the assembling of ourselves together as we see the day approaching. In these last days we need other believers to encourage us, strengthen us, pray for us, love us, and comfort us. The church is a good thing, as a matter of fact it is a GREAT thing, being that it is the body of Christ with Jesus at the head. So to speak evil of Christ body is to speak evil of Christ Himself. Jesus bought us with a price, His own shed blood on a cross.

"Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;) 24And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: 25Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching." Hebrews 10:23-25

Now has the church done awful things in the past and even unto this day, YES. But it's not the church that is to blame, it's the human beings who are still sinners who are to blame. We are sinners and until people realize that sinners do sinful things, even in the body of Christ, we will never get past the elementary things of spiritual matters. We are acting as babes in Christ instead of maturing on to the meat of the spiritual things of Jesus Christ.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options

Thou shalt have no other gods before me. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness [of any thing] that [is] in heaven above, or that [is] in the earth beneath, or that [is] in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy ? [am] a jealous ? , visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth [generation] of them that hate me;

Exodus 20:3-5

This verse alone pretty much catches all humans in some sort of graven image error.
  • VIBE
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Not every church has images of Jesus Christ. I know the church that I attend doesn't. ? tells us to not forsake the assembling of ourselves together as we see the day approaching. In these last days we need other believers to encourage us, strengthen us, pray for us, love us, and comfort us. The church is a good thing, as a matter of fact it is a GREAT thing, being that it is the body of Christ with Jesus at the head. So to speak evil of Christ body is to speak evil of Christ Himself. Jesus bought us with a price, His own shed blood on a cross.

"Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;) 24And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: 25Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching." Hebrews 10:23-25

Now has the church done awful things in the past and even unto this day, YES. But it's not the church that is to blame, it's the human beings who are still sinners who are to blame. We are sinners and until people realize that sinners do sinful things, even in the body of Christ, we will never get past the elementary things of spiritual matters. We are acting as babes in Christ instead of maturing on to the meat of the spiritual things of Jesus Christ.

That's true, but I also don't think Church should be held on Sundays. No where does it say that, it says that the Sabbath shall remain holy and that's the day you worship. Now regardless of what anyone thinks, the Commandments are held right? Everyone follows them, but seems to miss that the Sabbath should be honored. The Church goes on the wrong day. Period. I've yet to see a "good argument", besides "that was the day Jesus was resurrected" because not even ? said that changes due to that.

I'll uphold my own worship in my house. I'll take all peace and quiet, I'll pray and read the word from home.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    A graven image is an idol. The passage isn't saying you can't have pictures or images of those things. It's saying you can't worship those things. Seriously, if you take it to mean that you can't have anything of any likeness to the stuff mentioned then you literally have to have a house with all bare walls because pretty much everything would be covered under that list.
  • ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited July 2010
    Options
    I have a picture of a pentagram in my basement surrounded by dead goats and candles. I have a white man nailed to a cross in my back shed.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited July 2010
    Options
    you seem to think the part you've highlighted with red is the key part, but personally, i would say the part i've bolded is the key part
  • VIBE
    edited July 2010
    Options
    A graven image is an idol. The passage isn't saying you can't have pictures or images of those things. It's saying you can't worship those things. Seriously, if you take it to mean that you can't have anything of any likeness to the stuff mentioned then you literally have to have a house with all bare walls because pretty much everything would be covered under that list.

If I have a cross in my house, that is a "graven image", it is considered an idol.

Everything else wouldn't be considered an "idol". I mean, if you have MJ on your wall I guess. But all I have is pictures of family, art and that's really it. Clocks. Um, nothing else that can be considered an "idol" I don't worship what's on my walls or consider it a connection to my beliefs. So therefore it doesn't interfere with anything in my life that goes with this verse.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    If I have a cross in my house, that is a "graven image", it is considered an idol.

Everything else wouldn't be considered an "idol". I mean, if you have MJ on your wall I guess. But all I have is pictures of family, art and that's really it. Clocks. Um, nothing else that can be considered an "idol" I don't worship what's on my walls or consider it a connection to my beliefs. So therefore it doesn't interfere with anything in my life that goes with this verse.

A cross is no more a graven image than anything else. An idol is something you worship as a ? or something you worship as a representation of your ? . If you kneel before that cross and pray everyday, then yes it is a graven image. If you just have it in your house as an artistic symbol of your faith or piece of deocration, it is not a graven image.
  • garv
    garv Confirm Email Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options

Lol a phrase made popular by camron would be appropiate right now.