ESPN To Layoff over 100 employees

Options

Comments

• lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mister B. wrote: »
    ESPN ain't ? around.

I watch the Sports Reporters every Sunday morning, and suddenly, this morning is now the last show.

yeas that surprised me
  • fuc_i_look_like
    fuc_i_look_like Members Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They should've gotten rid of that useless Molly broad on first take.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cable TV is like shopping malls. Both are dinosaurs.
  • Angeles1son85
    Angeles1son85 Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    im really shocked end of year they gonna end mike and mike
  • NCswag
    NCswag Members Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mister B. wrote: »
    ESPN ain't ? around.

I watch the Sports Reporters every Sunday morning, and suddenly, this morning is now the last show.

? been wack for 20 years. Id turn that ? on when i wanted a nap since I was 10.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is the reality which is have been explaining in other threads for a few years on here. ESPN overpaid for college basketball, NBA, NFL, NCAA football packages in the last round of re-negotiations. And all of them are not living up to the hype for a few reasons.

College Baksetball: One and done culture and the breakup of the big east are making people watch less regular season college baksetball. They paid more and ratings are down per tourney.

NBA: They have mostly eastern conference games and lower quality western conference games despite overpaying to renew the contract. TNT gets the better games during football season and gets the western conference for most of the playoffs which is the better conference.

NFL: Monday night football gets the worse games now due to ESPN going hard at the NFL for concussion stories. And by Monday night east coast guys like me tend to not stay up for the ? ass matchups that start way too late after a weekend of football.

NCAA Football: Still popular but the playoff has certain years where games are played on New Years Eve which lowers viewership. Also despite the playoff the same few teams tend to be in contention. The SEC is not as deep as it was and the Big 12 has fallen off. ESPN launched the SEC network and the Longhorn network right as the SEC fell off and texas fell off in football.

While more people are pulling cable packages and going for streaming the amounts they overpaid for content and the content they getting having these issues is a main reason why they are doing this. Living in CT i have seen some people get laid off at different levels of the company in the last few years and it is unfortunate.
  • BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Read an article saying since last year they've hated each other, won't speak or make eye contact off camera even during commercial breaks
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I read that article. Watching the show they really play it off that everything is fine. If I didn't read it I wouldn't have know they don't like each other.
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    BlackAX410 wrote: »

Read an article saying since last year they've hated each other, won't speak or make eye contact off camera even during commercial breaks
    I read that article. Watching the show they really play it off that everything is fine. If I didn't read it I wouldn't have know they don't like each other.

Link?
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • lamontbdc
    Options
    This is the reality which is have been explaining in other threads for a few years on here. ESPN overpaid for college basketball, NBA, NFL, NCAA football packages in the last round of re-negotiations. And all of them are not living up to the hype for a few reasons.

College Baksetball: One and done culture and the breakup of the big east are making people watch less regular season college baksetball. They paid more and ratings are down per tourney.

NBA: They have mostly eastern conference games and lower quality western conference games despite overpaying to renew the contract. TNT gets the better games during football season and gets the western conference for most of the playoffs which is the better conference.

NFL: Monday night football gets the worse games now due to ESPN going hard at the NFL for concussion stories. And by Monday night east coast guys like me tend to not stay up for the ? ass matchups that start way too late after a weekend of football.

NCAA Football: Still popular but the playoff has certain years where games are played on New Years Eve which lowers viewership. Also despite the playoff the same few teams tend to be in contention. The SEC is not as deep as it was and the Big 12 has fallen off. ESPN launched the SEC network and the Longhorn network right as the SEC fell off and texas fell off in football.

While more people are pulling cable packages and going for streaming the amounts they overpaid for content and the content they getting having these issues is a main reason why they are doing this. Living in CT i have seen some people get laid off at different levels of the company in the last few years and it is unfortunate.

Don't they have teh world cup alos or is that Fox. I'm sure that was a lot of money

I agree with your point and the issue is here is they have to pay up b/c they need the content.
  • lamontbdc
    Options
    You can tell Greeny wanted to be a bigger str than just a guy on ESPN. I think he tried to host many game shows. And he was hosting one that failed i think. Like he wanted to be a co host with Kelly Rippa type of dude. Like Strahan. I mean how upset can Golic be his sorry ass son getting a job based off just being his son.
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    You can tell Greeny wanted to be a bigger str than just a guy on ESPN. I think he tried to host many game shows. And he was hosting one that failed i think. Like he wanted to be a co host with Kelly Rippa type of dude. Like Strahan. I mean how upset can Golic be his sorry ass son getting a job based off just being his son.

I get Golic's reasoning for being upset. Greeny suppose to be his boy and to not tell him he was leaving the show was mad disrespectful. These dudes had an 18 year partnership and Golic had to hear it from somebody else while Greeny said nothing.
  • 313 wayz
    313 wayz Members Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think a couple of years need to go by before Mike and Mike can be cool again......Golic was probably too comfortable with his job and didn't want to do anything else while Greeny wanted to pursue other interests.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »

Don't they have teh world cup alos or is that Fox. I'm sure that was a lot of money

I agree with your point and the issue is here is they have to pay up b/c they need the content.

They do have the world cup every 4 years. You're right when it comes to content they can't say no to the NFL. The NFL literally tell you what they want you to pay and you deal with it.

College football is a must for ESPN as well given the popularity of that sport on Saturdays in the fall.

I think when it comes to baseball, college basketball, and some of the smaller content packages ESPN could stand a little firmer. Especially college basketball which nobody nearly nobody watches regular season games like they used to in the prime of the Big East and ACC in the 80s and 90s. It is a March/April sport which TBS owns as far as the NCAA BB tourney.

• usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options

I don't think it's the quality of the league's. Money is tight for people and cable is too expensive. People are always on the go so it makes no sense to have cable. The way people are watching enough entertainment now is different. It's not just ESPN laying off people. Cable providers are struggling and losing right now. BET and smaller networks are hurting.
  • MallyG
    MallyG Members Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options

Not totally surprised. Mike Greenburg is annoying as ? for no reason to me (it's his voice and demeanor. Golic ain't that far off either, but Greeny just takes the cake. He jus look like a ol' weak ass ? !
  • 313 wayz
    313 wayz Members Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MallyG wrote: »

Not totally surprised. Mike Greenburg is annoying as ? for no reason to me (it's his voice and demeanor. Golic ain't that far off either, but Greeny just takes the cake. He jus look like a ol' weak ass ? !

This isn't a surprise due to Greeny looks like he is nonconfrontational as hell.....just look at him....he looks like he should be a lawyer or accountant instead of talking about sports
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I haven't really been watching espn like I used to has nothing to do with them

But I always see white people complaining about his and hers is it a bad show or is it cacs being cacs
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »

I don't think it's the quality of the league's. Money is tight for people and cable is too expensive. People are always on the go so it makes no sense to have cable. The way people are watching enough entertainment now is different. It's not just ESPN laying off people. Cable providers are struggling and losing right now. BET and smaller networks are hurting.

Sports networks in the best position during this cable cutting era. BET and MTV and other channels on the other hand get hit worse. Some of ESPN woes is because people are cutting cable. Most of it is due to the ratings not going up as high as the cost for content. Fox Sports 1 is on a higher cable package than ESPN meaning you have to pay more to have it shown. At the same time they are hiring and spending.

Sports ratings overall are up even in niche sports like hockey. They dropped a little during the election but are back up post election. The issue is the profit margin between the higher price for content and the lack of the viewership of the content not going up high enough for ESPN/ABC.
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I haven't really been watching espn like I used to has nothing to do with them

But I always see white people complaining about his and hers is it a bad show or is it cacs being cacs

Cacs being cacs. Notice pretty much all the people they hate/want fired are the brown opinionated people.

Bomani, Screaming A, Michael and Jamelle, Lebatard and Papi, Pablo, Dominique, etc... they stay hollerin about how ESPN is too "liberal" (aka Diverse) now. And even the white people they kept for the most part are "woke" like Rachel Nichols and SVP

A lot of old, bland, personalityless white guys got pushed out while Michael and Jamelle, Bomani and Pablo, Dominique's profiles are rising

Will Cain sports analysis is trash but he got that contract to placate the "money base"
  • Lurkristocrat
    Lurkristocrat Members Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Intresting tidbit about the perception that these firings were due to money losses...

From a person who got fired from espn, they said that the mass firing of employees was a fake investment pitch to keep from having even more stock dropped at disney. As ya know, espn is owned by disney and disney is taking huge losses with espn due to the huge television contracts and everybody cutting the cords. They still gotta pay billions to these leagues and Investers are backing out and stock is dumping.

Essentially, the firings did nothing to affect the losses disney is having and that in total employee earnings where only equivalent to that of 15% of a monday night football broadcast. So eventually ? gon have to figure out where to get the money from cuz people arent watching and firing employees is not even putting a dent in the losses..

So ? lost jobs so that the company can say "See! We doing something about it!" But arent actually tackling the real issues.

Sheesh!