Play football and risk it all or quit? You decide.

caddo man
caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2017 in From the Cheap Seats
Arkansas All-SEC tailback Rawleigh Williams III isn't even 21 years old yet and he's facing a life-changing decision.

Does the rising junior, who came back last season following an October 2015 surgery to fuse a ruptured disc in the upper part of his neck, continue to play after suffering a neurological injury in last Saturday's aborted spring game turned practice?

Or does he not risk his quality of life and end his career?

Williams sustained his original injury two years ago as a freshman in game seven against Auburn. He returned last season as a sophomore and finished fourth in the SEC in rushing by averaging 104.4 yards per game (1,350 yards and 12 TDs). His 245 carries were the second most in the league.

The alarming part of Williams' latest injury, referred as a "stinger" by Arkansas medical personnel, occurred with hardly any contact.On a non-tackling run play at left tackle, Williams made "thud" contact with defensive end McTelvin Agim. Williams fell to the turf and according to Agim said, "I can't move."

Check the link to read the rest of the story.
http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/may/02/rawleigh-williams-and-family-meet-ua-coaches-docto/

I myself will just end my career. Best believe if I am not getting paid for it there is nothing to think about. This is not like Peyton Manning where he was able to sign another million dollar contract. This dude is playing for pride.

But what about you.

Comments

• numbaz...80's baby
    numbaz...80's baby Members Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    College? Yea, ? that ? . Go get a trade. RB's careers arent even promised when healthy. That plus Arkansas isnt spitting out rbs like they used to. 10 years ago, the Hawgs had 3 backs starting in the NFL. Now we have 3 that are 2nd & 3rd stringers. Our current wack ass coach runs his backs to the ground. Dont do that to yourself any longer with that injury.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Quit get your education and then become a coach.
  • caddo man
    I hate it for the young thundercat but at least he will be in college able to finish his degree.
  • numbaz...80's baby
    numbaz...80's baby Members Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good player too
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea bruh get that degree and move on from football.
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hang it up, get that education. The NFL don't pay RB's like that anymore. And he can still be involved with FB somehow if he wants to be...

• Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get an education.

Yeah it's an amazing experience being an NFL player, but when you're 33 sitting alone in the dark room in your house trying to remember what you were thinking about 4 seconds and nobody gives a flying ? you played 3 years in the NFL 9 years ago, whatever money you have left might not be worth it.
  • caddo man
    UPDATE: http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2017/05/rawleight_williams_arkansas_re.html#incart_river_index

The hit that caused Arkansas running back Rawleigh Williams III to be carted off the field during the spring game more than a week ago has now caused him to stop playing football.

Williams, who ranked second among SEC running backs in total rushing yards in 2016, said as much in a message posted to the school website Monday.

Williams said he did not want to risk further injury, as the hit in the April 29 spring game reminded him of the October 2015 injury that caused him to have surgery to fuse a ruptured disc in the upper part of his back.

"I've seen the replay," he said of the spring-game injury, which the Arkansas medical staff described as a "stinger."

"I saw a normal hit. That scared me. It shows me it doesn't take a big hit at this point. Any little thing can trigger it. I also saw the reaction of my mom and my sister. That broke my heart. I can't do this anymore. I want to be able to walk."

Williams as a sophomore in 2016 rushed for 1,360 yards and 12 touchdowns on 245 carries. His rushing total ranked second among SEC running backs to LSU's Derrius Guice (1,387).
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    O.G. wrote: »
    He should quit. NFL gonna be too scared to draft him so what does he gain by continuing to risk serious injury? Take advantage of college and get that education.

Only thing is if he's on scholarship then if he quits the team that scholarship is gone
  • Rampage12
    Rampage12 Members Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    blackrain wrote: »
    O.G. wrote: »
    He should quit. NFL gonna be too scared to draft him so what does he gain by continuing to risk serious injury? Take advantage of college and get that education.

Only thing is if he's on scholarship then if he quits the team that scholarship is gone

He's one of those kids that don't really need a scholarship though. He comes from a upper middle-class upbringing. I'm pretty sure his dad is a detective in Dallas.