Nas Rips President Trump In Open Letter: "We All Know A Racist Is In Office"

stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
https://massappeal.com/nas-action-speaks-louder-than-words/
Mass Appeal asked Nas to pen an open letter, and boy, did he have a lot to get off of his chest. The 43-year old hip hop icon opened up about racism in America, politics, Donald Trump and more.

"The only way the black man gets a little piece in America is if he takes the O.J. stance: “I’m not black, I’m O.J.” When you ignore the s*** that’s happening to people you can live in this fantasy, this American fantasy that you belong to… who? You ignore what’s happening, and that gives you peace. Because what’s going on is enough to make people insane.

Some guy lynched in a tree at Piedmont Park in Atlanta, Georgia, and the cops rule it a suicide. Now, don’t get me wrong—suicides happen. There are blacks suffering from mental illness just like whites suffering from mental illness, except that whites who suffer from mental illness and have interactions with the cops, they end up living. Blacks, we get killed. So if you want to sit back and ignore all that, go the O.J. route. Just remember, even he got dealt with at the end of the day.

So where do I stand? I stand just as a man, doing what I have to do. Doing what I was born to do. No one can tell me who I am. No one can tell me where I can go and cannot go.

The Creator put us here to do our thing, so I do my thing. And I don’t pay attention to politics at the moment. For what? There’s no reason. For me, it doesn’t make any sense. We all know a racist is in office. People can talk their ? . Comedians can sound racist. People can go through their moments of that ? , but when you have the responsibility of being President and you carry on like that, you send a strong message to people outside of your group that they ain’t worth ? .

So why would I focus on that unless I’m in the political game? Unless I’m running for office I don’t have to pay attention to know that. If I ever vote again—when it’s time to vote again, and I feel like voting again—I don’t have to follow the news to know who I’m voting against. But then you wind up saying “Who’s the next motherf*cker coming in, and how does that help?
"

Comments

• Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smart dumb ? ? .
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...and just when it seemed that he was finally beginning to win for a change.
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ChiCity wrote: »
    It's super bland but Nas seems super bland so it lines up with my perception of him

Word. You'd think Nas off the mic would be as articulate as TI with substance like KRS 1..
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AZTG wrote: »
    Nas is my favorite artist, not just rapper, but he aint say anything of substance in this letter.

Also, hea to old to be writing ? like ? . Cmon Nas. You a grown ass man bruh

his pen tapped the paper then his brain blanked.
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Nas my dude, but he needs to stick with putting them ? in bars. It just doesn't sound right outside of the booth.

Hopefully, he'll address this on the new album.
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Not sure what some of y'all expected but it sounds like some casual convo ? , not an attempt to out-do a Farrakhan speech.

I don't think he said any ? ? .

Never mind, it was an open letter. I read it like it was just a quote from somewhere.
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    His open letter was kind of scatter brained imo. It reminded me of old IC passages from the great Silly-Me.

He goes from OJ being "OJ" to "doing what he's gonna do" to talking about why he doesn't pay attention to politics.
    It was kind of incoherent.

It probably sounded revolutionary to him in his mind while he was high writing it.
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    qawshun wrote: »
    What is the problem with what he wrote ??

i think it's just NaS and his behind-the-curve commentary on stuff like this. It's like he doesn't say anything new on the subject. lol

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing but it came off as real elementary the first two paragraphs were ok..then he fell apart Only thing I can criticize is how he failed to articulate Oj... because he did that ? himself

• 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least the n-gga said something! Y'all acting like your expecting something from MLK or Malcolm.

Better than the n-g's that stay quiet or don't give a sh-t.
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    *disregards this open letter and plays Sly Fox*
  • playmaker88
    Coincidentally I was listening to it was written when I posted
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Should just stick to bars Put it in a rap
  • Kairo
    Kairo Members Posts: 942 ✭✭✭✭
    He was asked to do this so it's not like he had fire on deck to put on paper. It wasn't as poignant as you might hope but Nas is a musician not a political analyst so what do yall expect?
  • playmaker88
    Kairo wrote: »
    He was asked to do this so it's not like he had fire on deck to put on paper. It wasn't as poignant as you might hope but Nas is a musician not a political analyst so what do yall expect?

Contary to popular belief you dont have to be a "political analyst" too offer coherent, substantive well thought out statements.
  • Kairo
    Kairo Members Posts: 942 ✭✭✭✭

Contary to popular belief you dont have to be a "political analyst" too offer coherent, substantive well thought out statements.

So how should he have broached the subject?
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nas got a ghost writer.

After all these years, it only make centse.
  • playmaker88

So how should he have broached the subject?

Could have expounded on the OJ ? and cleaned it up talking about being a go along get along ass ? .. Isnt an escape from reality. He also could have been responsible and more aware of the political reality of Black people in America.. To be dormant and unmoving as a Black man/woman in America is a ? move. I see that far to often form people whom i would even call are or educated.. Politics has had a hand in our lives more keenly than anyone.. throughout this American history.. i think its painfully obvious so i wont list the man ways politics directly affects and has affected our existence here in America... So yeah.. a lil something like that.