Netflix Has Made Movie Theaters Across The Country ery Angry

1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
beasts-of-no-nation.jpg

The headline likely won’t surprise anyone who has seen what Netflix has done to both the television and film industries over the last several years, but there’s a very specific reason that theater owners are upset with the streaming service this time.
Netflix made its own feature-length film.

You probably saw the latest trailer for Beasts of No Nation floating around the Internet this week ahead of the film’s release on Netflix today, but what you might not have realized is that the Netflix original hit some theaters as well. I say “some theaters” because AMC, Carmike, Cinemark and Regal all announced they were boycotting the movie earlier this year.

Traditionally, theaters have been given 90 days to screen movies before they leave theaters and reach home video or streaming services. Considering all the money that theater chains throw into advertising, you can see why they would be less than pleased with any other arrangement.

“Netflix is not serious about a theatrical release,” Patrick Corcoran, vice president of the National Association of Theatre Owners, told Wired. “There isn’t a real commitment.”

“It’s not equal space,” chief analyst at BoxOffice.com Phil Contrino added. “A lot of people subscribe to Netflix and they can watch Beasts of No Nation at home. How many of those subscribers are going to go see it in theaters?”

To make matters even more contentious, theater owners know exactly why Netflix is asking them to put Beasts of No Nation in their theaters. Netflix wants to contend for an Oscar, and according to the organization’s rules, the only way to do so is to screen the film in theaters on the same day or before a home release.

It appear that the old adage — “if you can’t beat them, join them” — does not apply here.

Comments

• jee504
    jee504 Members Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could be the future. Streaming blockbuster movies at home instead of going to the theaters. Esp. with how expensive it is going there and people's fear of going to the movies in some areas.
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    They're mad because of one movie?
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're mad because of one movie?

the possibility of how Netflix may change the game
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the age of theaters might be done. ? movies can be viewed as much as quality flicks can be viewed and still make that same amount of money they would have made. But the theater companies are getting more agitated. I mean if you raise netflix to 20 dollars a month with movies just premiering on netflix and the amount of viewership increases that's more profit and still cheaper for the viewers and would cut and probably really hurt the pirating.

There had to be something innovative and easier for the viewers to defeat pirating. The koreans were dropping movies a week and a half out in the theaters with Blu ray quality with just some korean subs. These were great quality flicks.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No matter what people think movie theaters will never die. No matter how awesome home theater systems keep getting the big screen experience just can't be replicated at home. Even wealthy people can't pull it off with their personal theaters at home. Especially now that more incentives are being added on a broader level (IMAX 3D, D-BOX etc.)

• BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Broddie wrote: »
    No matter what people think movie theaters will never die. No matter how awesome home theater systems keep getting the big screen experience just can't be replicated at home. Even wealthy people can't pull it off with their personal theaters at home. Especially now that more incentives are being added on a broader level (IMAX 3D, D-BOX etc.)

But what I like is that directors can get around the loopholes of hollywood restricting them from making certain movies. They boycotted this movie probably cause it consisted of an all black cast and spoke truth while giving a message.
  • Broddie
    edited October 2015
    That is good but it's not like it's something completely new either. There have always been options to distribute independently. I've seen plenty of quality minority led movies (not just Black) in the past 20 or so years. That's why independent cinema has been so prominent especially since the mid 90's. It's just that most directors prefer to just sell out and not stick to their so called convictions.
  • BangEm_Bart
    I mean the production budget on a netflix series has been bigger than say a budget on IFC or BET. Better quality like a movie that's played in cinema's. I think daredevil is the perfect example.
  • Broddie
    I mean the production budget on a netflix series has been bigger than say a budget on IFC or BET. Better quality like a movie that's played in cinema's. I think daredevil is the perfect example.

Plenty of low budget and independent movies that look like they have a more competent production budget way before this influx of original Netflix content though. Hell look at the Undisputed sequels.
  • BangEm_Bart
    True. Forgot about that one.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Broddie

The drive in theatre.

True. Where else can you eat bbq, smoke blunts and drink dranks in the back of a pick up while watching a marathon of new school flicks and classics?

sure you can do it at home but:

will it be outdoors?

will it have the amount of different types of people you can ? with all across the lot around you?

• Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would wanna watch beasts of no nation at home so I can be free from social constrains and let the angst flow through me.
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this movie good?
  • Lady_Capoeira
    Lady_Capoeira Members Posts: 197 ✭✭
    Can anybody direct me to the "Official Beasts of No Nation Thread"? Tried searching it but no luck.
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Is this movie good?

Yea but it's depressing
  • Sandinista
    Sandinista Members Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Netflix is indeed changing the game and I love it. Hollywood has become way too ossified in their ways...deathly afraid of taking any chances at all...so all we get is economically "safe" ? like sequels, remakes etc.

Just saw Spectral, which is a Netflix original movie about American soldiers fighting weaponized ghosts in Eastern Europe and the ? was dope as ? .
  • 5onblackhandside
    5onblackhandside Members Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sandinista wrote: »
    Netflix is indeed changing the game and I love it. Hollywood has become way too ossified in their ways...deathly afraid of taking any chances at all...so all we get is economically "safe" ? like sequels, remakes etc.

Just saw Spectral, which is a Netflix original movie about American soldiers fighting weaponized ghosts in Eastern Europe and the ? was dope as ? .

i saw this ? a few months ago, dope ass movie!
  • Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea thats a cold one
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

Qiv_Owan wrote: »

Yea thats a cold one

Outside of the visuals it was garbage.
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with this...I love Netflix but nothing compared to seeing a summer blockbuster in theaters....and to be honest...even though the ? is unnecessarily expensive....me and woman do like to go out....Netflix is cool for price, convenience and series....but I'll probably never stop going to the movies