Childish Gambino embroiled in bidding war

Options
LcnsdbyROYALTY
LcnsdbyROYALTY Members Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
Childish Gambino, fresh off collecting his sixth RIAA certification for "Redbone" in March, has signed his first major label recording contract.

According to HDD, Gambino, who has released all three of his full-length albums (Camp, Because The Internet and "Awaken, My Love!") through Daniel Glass' Glassnote Records with distribution through Universal, has inked a deal with Interscope.

ADVERTISING

While Gambino is currently involved in a host of film and TV projects, a major label recording contract coming on the heels of Glassnote's distribution deal with UMG coming to an end likely means more music is on the horizon.

Update: According to HDD, who updated their story minutes after it was published, "despite previous reports that a new deal was in place for Childish Gambino, sources close to the situation tell us that three labels are now contending with Glassnote for the artist, and that this is far from over."

I guess technically his next project will be his major label debut even though Universal has been Glassnote's distributor since around when Because The Internet was released.

Not sure whether or not this is good or bad since he owns the rights to his last album, but then again, I doubt he'd be dumb enough to not secure those rights for future projects.

Comments

• TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Awaken My Love vinyl was just released friday
  • Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Watch he body Marshall on a track
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    He's so well versed on different mediums that they know they can benefit from all 3 even if he doesn't connect them. From a business standpoint he can really milk this for stupid money. He doesn't need a major label deal because he's the definition of an artist. He's playing Lando in another movie, has a hit TV show and musically he dropped an amazing album.

Who wouldn't fight to sign him ? That being said if he steps foot into Montreal or Toronto he can stare down the barrel of my 9.....

aye don't taxstone yourself on the IC #besafetho #canadianfedswatching
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He's so well versed on different mediums that they know they can benefit from all 3 even if he doesn't connect them. From a business standpoint he can really milk this for stupid money. He doesn't need a major label deal because he's the definition of an artist. He's playing Lando in another movie, has a hit TV show and musically he dropped an amazing album.

Who wouldn't fight to sign him ? That being said if he steps foot into Montreal or Toronto he can stare down the barrel of my 9.....

lmaooooo I was wondering why this had so many LOLs
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Lmaooo I was patiently reading this the whole time thinking @Sion turned a new leave, and slowly and surely I was feeling excited about this being a peaceful conclusion to the hate, but then that last paragraph LOLOLOLOOLOLOL!
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont see how he can top Awaken My Love

No surprise at him not having time to tour tho. All the movies he has lined up plus season 2 of ATLANTA
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Never heard any other album from him Awake my Love is a masterpiece.
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    Options
    Never heard any other album from him Awake my Love is a masterpiece.

Because The Internet is dope. As well as his Royalty mixtape.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    Options
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    PART-TIME RAPPERS ARE TRASH...
    THIS CAT IS NO DIFFERENT...

I APPRECIATE HIS ACTING THOUGH...