Egypt women: Where tampons may cause a security alert..smdh

2stepz_ahead
2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
Cairo airport's security screening starts at the door to the terminal buildings. Only passengers are allowed in. Even before check-in, they have to put their belongings through the large scanners, have their tickets and passports checked and walk through a scanner themselves.

It was at this point that I was pulled aside for a pat-down. A uniformed woman ran her hands down my body and legs and came back up to find a lump in my right-hand jeans pocket. It was small and bullet-shaped.

The guard pointed and said, in Egyptian Arabic, "What's that?"

"Oh nothing", I said, "it's just…" Thinking it was a tissue, I pulled it out… then realised that to my horror, I was waving a ? in her face. She raised her eyebrows, apparently oblivious to my embarrassment, then looked perplexed.

"What's that?" She said again.

Now I raised my eyebrows.

"Um," I started, unsure where to begin. "It's for, you know, that time…"

I've questioned an Egyptian presidential candidate and government spokespeople in Egyptian Arabic but here I was stumped. "It's for that time every month," I continued, to her ongoing frown and the slight shake of the head Egyptians give when they want you to explain.

"It's for the monthly period, the monthly bleeding," I said, resorting to modern standard Arabic.

"Oh the beeriod?" She said, using the English word. "How do you use it?"

Here my faint embarrassment turned to a full blush and I thanked the heavens I was travelling alone. I explained that it stops the flow of blood and she once again looked perplexed by how this small white object could do such a thing.

the rest at:
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-40221010

Comments

• 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    sometimes ladies....

you should be thankful where you live, even its in a bad location.
  • R0mp
    R0mp Members Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    She handed me back the box, which had now cleared security, and leaned in close. She asked conspiratorially, "Can you get these in Egypt?"
  • PILL_COSBY
    PILL_COSBY Members Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    R0mp wrote: »
    She handed me back the box, which had now cleared security, and leaned in close. She asked conspiratorially, "Can you get these in Egypt?"

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And this is one of the main reasons I hate modern day feminism. This is where they need to direct all of that misguided animosity. But they aint really bout that life. They wont dare, lets see them speak up against Islam. Pretty sure it has something to do with the ignorance.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PILL_COSBY wrote: »
    R0mp wrote: »

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And this is one of the main reasons I hate modern day feminism. This is where they need to direct all of that misguided animosity. But they aint really bout that life. They wont dare, lets see them speak up against Islam. Pretty sure it has something to do with the ignorance.

According to Pew Research in Egypt, 85% of people think a woman must always obey her wife, only 46% of people think women should decide for themselves if they should wear a veil, only 22% of Egyptians think a woman should be able to divorce her husband, only 26% of Egyptians think men and women should have equal inheritance rights.

Not saying this has anything to do with Islam but their cultural views on women are kinda ? .
  • rickmogul
    rickmogul Members Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Them ? R not of this Earth. Had a maintenance man tell me he had to help clean out a septic tank that had clogged or something. Said a ? was the culprit. Said they won't stop swelling like those Hoberman Mini Sphere Rainbows. Damn!
  • STELLA BAN
    STELLA BAN Members Posts: 3
    A uniformed female ran her fingers down my body and legs and got here lower back up to find a lump in my right-hand jeans pocket. It becomes small and bullet-formed.Essay Help Online And that is one of the important motives I hate modern-day day feminism. that is wherein they need to direct all of that erroneous animosity.