Was Hip hop culture a rebellion to the attempted emasculation of the black man?

Jamaican Curry Bwoy
Jamaican Curry Bwoy Members Posts: 706 ✭✭✭✭
Or just a rebellion to overall conformity?

Comments

• soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    No. It's a release valve. One that I'm sure the government is glad that it came to fruition.

If it wasn't/isn't a government invention and was actually an organic black creation it was the best thing that could have ever happened for gathering and controlling thoughts of the young black mind.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Hip hop was the voice of black culture in the ghetto. So was rock. So was country. So was jazz. Until white people stole those genres. But hip hop was special because it primarily spoke to the youth. Dominated by the youth. Rappers regularly began their career in high school.....

I lost my train of thought watching Tyson vs Holyfield 30 for 30
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Wasn't but now it is. I already knew but I actually was talking HipHop with a white dude the other day and he took the words right out of my mouth. I was mind blown.

Legends ? ? . Birdman may have broke lil waynes virginity. ? wearing tights, dresses and rompers brandishing guns and ? . 20 deep in the videos shirtless with no ? .
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wish we could take it back
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was a time when the best rapper strived to be the Alpha Male. He was supposed to get the girls, make a lot of money and serve as a role model for the youth.

When I was younger rappers wouldn't rap about smoking weed or selling drugs. Those things were thought as negative. There was the Stop The Violence Movement, Self Destruction, We're All In The Same Gang, etc.

Nowadays you can't make a song like Self Destruction or We're All In The Same Gang because there aren't any rappers that would be eligible to rap about those topics.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hip hop was the voice of black culture in the ghetto. So was rock. So was country. So was jazz. Until white people stole those genres. But hip hop was special because it primarily spoke to the youth. Dominated by the youth. Rappers regularly began their career in high school.....

I lost my train of thought watching Tyson vs Holyfield 30 for 30

Just for the record Rock/Country/Jazz was never stolen from black people. Some black people were tricked into thinking it didn't belong to them. But there are still the Buddy Guys, Darius Ruckers and Gary Clark Jrs who still perform the blues/country/rock because they never fell victim to that mindset.
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,480 Regulator
    Does this alpha male ? yall talmbout include Afrika Bambatta ?
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    No...no it wasn't
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big dik gold chains yea i got hoes mane...thats hip hop ..
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it's just a bunch of folks expressing themselves artistically.
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it was all that, just a voice for a sub-culture that had something to say...

The more exposure it got, the more people adapted to and favored it over their previous likes.

As time went on capitalist and tyrants alike re appropriated it for their own needs and desires.

Now being "masculine" is directly correlated with the bastardization of our people and culture.
  • Jamaican Curry Bwoy
    Jamaican Curry Bwoy Members Posts: 706 ✭✭✭✭
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    LOL

Somebody watchin too much Hidden Colors

Come again? Is that a TV show or something?