4:44 Album - *JAY-Z* (06/30/17).

Options

Comments

• KnowReasonForPeace
    KnowReasonForPeace Members Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    slickwatts wrote: »
    There are a couple of Nina Simone samples – were those from Jay-Z's playlist?
    Yes, that was definitely him. He put both of those on there. That's the score to his life. That's the core reason for using them. There's a million things to sample that could sound good.

This is where switching up the process helped me. Maybe before I go, "We can't use two Nina Simones! We can't use Steve Wonder!" But that's what he wanted. I left it up to him to do the rest of the business. It freed me up to just be creative and be told, "this is what I want." It's challenging as well.

"I held up classic albums and said, 'What were the good parts and what were the mistakes?'"
    At what point did it become clear that this was going to be an album and it was actually going to come out?
    We got heavy into it by accident. The first time it happened, I sent him the "? Jay-Z" record, and he called Guru, who happened to be in town, and that was the first record. But then the holidays happened. We both went away for the holidays. He had already asked me to work on Vic Mensa's album. I was juggling working on both of them. When we came back in January, we get deep in. Then I had to go for Chicago for a month because my dad had a spill at home and he was in the hospital. We took a good month off there. In March, I got back and we got back into the full stride. We had intended on dropping it on 4/4. That was the plan. Unfortunate circumstances slowed it down.

But it helped us in the sense that it gave us more time to make some really important records. A lot of the thought process was, I held up classic albums and said, "What were the good parts and what were the mistakes?" Sometimes these classics, the continuity is what makes them classic, and then you have these examples of reaching for the single or the radio record. Albums I was pointing to were like Marvin Gaye's What's Going On, Confessions by Usher, [Jay-Z's] The Blueprint, [Nas'] Illmatic, [Kanye West's] My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. I analyzed the mistakes and tried not to make those mistakes. We wanted 10 really good songs where at no point are you like, "I know what you're trying to do, you could've kept that one." Sometimes you look back 10 years later and you go, "I see why you did it then, but 'No, thanks' today." By March, we were into that [process].

So the concise 10-song length was important for that purpose?
    Yes. There's three more songs that are coming out as bonuses. James Blake came in and joined into the process. There's more coming shortly that's equally as revealing.

That was a dope read. Less is more
  • Dogowner14
    Dogowner14 Members Posts: 189 ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Allhiphop is the only hip hop site that would ban people from a tribute Prodigy thread (cracka admins does not care)

Secondly ahh is the only hip hop site that would say that Nas last good album was Stillmatic

Now you can ban me forever I already signed up on two other hip hop sites.

? all ya ? admins son of ?

z770mq6p79sr.png
  • KnowReasonForPeace
    Options
    That Al sharpton pic is barely 2 weeks old.

Got me wondering how long it took for Jay to make this album

Probably one of the last songs he recorded. But wjen you in a zone you knock ? out with minimal effort.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Life is Good has four dope songs, Intro, Locomotive, Daughters and Bye Baby but like most Nas albums post It Was Written, nuff of the album cuts were just bland and forgettable.

I think the two albums make for good comparison but like I said before, I think 4:44 is better
  • GetoBoy
    GetoBoy Members Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jay got the goat discography and this album shows it let another rapper drop a album like this like Kdot or Cole or hell even Nas and ? would call it a instant classic but with Jay this is barely in his top 5 albums
  • KnowReasonForPeace
    Options
    Nah Son wrote: »
    I see people comparing this to AG a lot but to me its more like a follow up to BP1. From the soulful samples and loops to the way he raps about his standing in the game his achievements and personal life. Not saying its as good as BP was but it got a similar vibe

I agree as far as being compared to BP1. that his bars were simple bit hit hard and got the story he was trying to come off perfectly
  • KnowReasonForPeace
    Options
    Where do we rank this one?

ykoyoboku6dj.png

1. BP1
    2. 4:44
    3. VOL.2
  • KnowReasonForPeace
    Options
    Now all we need is another unplugged....this a Jazz album will translate well to live instruments

Man this ×100!!!!
  • KnowReasonForPeace
    Options
    Moore7s wrote: »
    Dogowner14 wrote: »
    Damn now ? gonna claim Jay got better discography than Nas..

I hope this new Nas album gonna be a classic

Jigga been had a better catalog.Nas hasn't dropped a good album since stillmatic

Foh you insecure ?

Once you figure out that 444 is Jay admitting that Nas was right on ether (Jigga didn't want to be embarrassed by girls)...you will accept that Nas is the goat

I said that in here when it first dropped. Think i got laughed at lol. As far as him talking about what a loss is.
  • KnowReasonForPeace
    Options
    Allhiphop is the only hip hop site that would ban people from a tribute Prodigy thread (cracka admins does not care)

Secondly ahh is the only hip hop site that would say that Nas last good album was Stillmatic

z770mq6p79sr.png

Who is this ? ?
  • da-great1
    da-great1 Members Posts: 126 ✭✭
    Options
    Bruh Nas came out with two good albums and dropped duds until Jay had to slap his ass with takeover.

Then he dropped two ok albums and continued dropping duds.

Just your choice of words in "good" two albums shows your bias opinion. I Am and Nastradamus are good albums to real ? that can listen and hear music, not just skim through it.

This a waste of time. Forget all this
    4:44 is fine music. That OJ video gon be taught in colleges
  • blue_london
    blue_london Members Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trillfate wrote: »
    Life is Good is immaculate tho

Minus 2 songs
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Where do we rank this one?

ykoyoboku6dj.png
    Black album
    American gangsta
    Watch the throne
    4:44
    Blueprint
    Reasonable doubt
    Vol 2
    Blueprint 2
    Dynasty
  • mosincredible
    mosincredible Members Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Like Water wrote: »
    slickwatts wrote: »
    Blatant example of the fuckery hov talking about....
    https://youtu.be/lMUTIuSnDXY

In the 90s this video would have been a parody. ? in their late 40s putting out the best albums. Jay, Common, Eiht, Ross, Rae.

Man, Black America Again was so overlooked that it ? me off. I'm convinced Common will never get his just due. Same way I felt about TDTB.

Bruh, agree 100%. This album made me go back and listen to TDTB again. That album was incredible and does not get enough respect.
  • Midwest_Journalist
    Midwest_Journalist Members Posts: 321 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Great album with dope lyrics & production. Second best album of the year, in my opinion. The first half of 2017 has been really good so far.

1.Kendrick Lamar: Damn
    2.Jay-Z : 4:44
    3. Joey Badass: All Amerikkkan...
    4. Lupe Fiasco: Drogas Light

Looking forward to Nas, Schoolboy Q and Jay Rock for the rest of 2017.
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    edited July 2017
    Options

z770mq6p79sr.png

Bruh you should be permabanned for what u said about kids.

You claim you're 35 years old and you out here talking with 12-14 year old girls?

There's a reason illbot keep clapping you.
  • power_wisdom
    power_wisdom Members Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? saying TBA and BP1 better than RD. Get off those perks my ? . BP was classic but had two wack songs on it and BA was good. Key word good. Have to sit with 4:44 a couple more times. Might be better than BP. Already crushes The Black Album. And AG>TBA
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    don't get the bp3 hate

wasn't prime jay

but a good majority of the tracks i thought were good to great

a star is born

so ambitious

already home

what we talkin about

as real as it gets

thank you

real talk BP3 was a personal favorite

already home still goes to this day
    shout out Cudi
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options

z770mq6p79sr.png

You claim you're 35 years old and you out here talking with 12-14 year old girls?

Wait...is that the ? ass ? who I think it is?
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    edited July 2017
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »

z770mq6p79sr.png

Wait...is that the ? ass ? who I think it is?

Yup sure is
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Busta Carmichael you know he's not 35 tho bruh, I mean it's still creepy even if he's only 17 but he ain't that damn old
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? saying TBA and BP1 better than RD. Get off those perks my ? . BP was classic but had two wack songs on it and BA was good. Key word good. Have to sit with 4:44 a couple more times. Might be better than BP. Already crushes The Black Album. And AG>TBA

What are the two wack songs on blueprint?
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options

z770mq6p79sr.png
    Continue to spam this thread I'll ban you.