Cell Phones Cause Cancer

Plutarch
Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
Don't mind the click-bait title; I'm sure the scientific community hasn't reached a consensus yet, but I recently heard about some new groundbreaking study that presented evidence pointing to a very real possibility of cell phones causing cancer but that the risk was low when cell phone were used sparingly and not so much held to one's head.

Seems like no one posted anything about it (my bad, if I'm mistaken),so what do you all think? ? conspiracy or serious health concern? Does this controversy make you rethink your cell phone habits? Do kids need to be protected? Should the government and/or media intervene? Is all of this similar to people smoking tobacco back in the day without knowing its harmful effects? How will this affect the big cell phone companies?

I tried to find more information but couldn't find much recent news, but maybe this article touches on the respective study:
Major Canadian Study Finds Cell Phone Use Significantly Increases Risk for Brain Cancer

New analysis in American Journal of Epidemiology finds doubling of brain cancer in persons using cell phones over 558 hours

Teton Village, WY — (SBWIRE) — 05/31/2017 — A new report published this week in American Journal of Epidemiology confirms that Canadians who have used cellphones for 558 hours or more have more than a doubled risk of brain cancer. These important findings strengthen the association between cell phone use and glioma, which is an aggressive brain cancer.

The original 13-nation Interphone study for the International Agency for Research on Cancer of the World Health Organization reported a 40% increase in brain cancer for those using phones for 1640 lifetime hours. This new study found that Canadians had more than a doubled glioma risk when they were analyzed apart from the 12 other countries.

"This study adds more evidence linking cell phone use with brain cancer. We believe the criteria has been met for radio frequency radiation to be classified as a probable human carcinogen. Governments need to take immediate action to inform the public and enact protective policies," stated Dr. Anthony Miller, a senior advisor to the World Health Organization and scientific advisor to the Environmental Health Trust. Miller recently presented a 2017 review of the current peer reviewed science linking phone radiation to cancer at an international conference on Wireless and Health at the Israel Institute for Advanced Studies organized in cooperation with the U.S. National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences and Environmental Health Trust.

"Governments have allowed this technology to pervade our lives saying it did not have proof it could harm us. This latest analysis of Canadian Interphone study data that found a statistically significant doubling of risk for glioma among cell phone users with only 558 lifetime hours of use," stated Dr. Devra Davis, President and Founder of Environmental Health Trust. Davis points out, "It doesn't take long for most teenagers to surge past that amount cell phone use."

Davis cautions about the rollout of 5G, "Not only does 5G plan to utilize cell phone frequencies, it also aims to incorporate millimeter waves that are frequencies already used at higher power as military weapons. Acknowledging the scientific evidence we have, how can this 5G rollout continue?"

Reference
Momoli F, Siemiatycki J, McBride ML, Parent ME, Richardson L, Bedard D, Platt R, Vrijheid M, Cardis E, Krewski D. Probabilistic multiple-bias modelling applied to the Canadian data from the INTERPHONE study of mobile phone use and risk of glioma, meningioma, acoustic neuroma, and parotid gland tumors. Am J Epidemiol. 2017 May 23. doi: 10.1093/aje/kwx157. [Epub ahead of print]

About Environmental Health Trust
Environmental Health Trust (EHT) educates individuals, health professionals and communities about controllable environmental health risks and policy changes needed to reduce those risks. Currently EHT is raising health concerns about cell phones and wireless in schools and recommends practical steps to reduce exposures. The Environmental Health Trust maintains a regularly updated database of worldwide precautionary policies on cell phone radiation and health. The foundation's website is the go-to place for clear, science-based information to prevent disease.

Please visit http://www.EHtrust.org and on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/EHTrust/

Additional Resources
Epidemiology of Cell Phones and Other Wireless Transmitting Devices – An Update

Lecture by Dr. Anthony Miller
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBIYqiyXJHQ
PDF of Dr. Anthony Miller January 25, 2017 IIAS Presentation
https://ehtrust.org/wp-content/uploads/Anthony-Miller.pdf

Expert Forum on Wireless and Health, Israel Institute for Advanced Studies, Videos of Lectures and Presentation Slides
http://ehtrust.org/science/key-scientific-lectures/2017-expert-forum-wireless-radiation-human-health

Environmental Health Trust database of worldwide policies on cell phone radiation and health.
https://ehtrust.org/policy/international-policy-actions-on-wireless/

Commentary by Researcher Elisabeth Cardis on cell phone radiation research
GROWING EVIDENCE FOR THE LINK BETWEEN MOBILE PHONES AND CANCER, Barcelona Institute for Global Health

http://www.crealradiation.com/index.php/en/news/ge

For more information on this press release visit: http://www.sbwire.com/press-releases/major-canadian-study-finds-cell-phone-use-significantly-increases-risk-for-brain-cancer-814451.htm

Media Relations Contact

Janet Vasquez
media contact
JV Public Relations NY Inc.
Telephone: 212-645-5498
Email: Click to Email Janet Vasquez
Web: http://www.ehtrust.org

Article link: Major Canadian Study Finds Cell Phone Use Significantly Increases Risk for Brain Cancer

Comments

• NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can dig it. I dont keep my phone on me. Just cant I leave it in the ride or wherever. They be gettin all warm and radiating.
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can dig it. I dont keep my phone on me. Just cant I leave it in the ride or wherever. They be gettin all warm and radiating.

That's a risky habit bruh... these days too much can pop off and you'll need a phone/camera
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trillfate wrote: »

That's a risky habit bruh... these days too much can pop off and you'll need a phone/camera

? how about his phone getting ? up in a hot ass car
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    please dont take this wrong and my heart goes out to all who list someone to cancer...

but cancer is a very unique ever evolving organism.

very intelligent.

? is an impressive adaptable killer...but

https://qz.com/990246/the-fda-just-approved-a-drug-that-targets-cancer-by-genetic-marker-not-body-parts/
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They dont give a ? they still making more cell phones...
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I highly doubt they are going to come forward and let people know about the brain cancer and cell phones. Other countries have done their own studies and found they aren't very safe. Now phone manufacturers put a health and advisor with their package, hold the phone away from head when talking on it or use speaker phone.
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blackseed oil.
  • Madame_CJSkywalker
    Madame_CJSkywalker Members Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    Sion wrote: »
    @Plutarch why does holding it away from your head as opposed to a call or texting decrease the chances ?

I'm sure the answer has a lot to do with your head not being in close proximity to phone radiation
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    They don't give you cancer
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smartphone and possible cancer > no smartphone and possible cancer anyway
  • Plutarch
    edited July 2017
    Damn, I guess ? don't really give a ? , haha.
    @Plutarch why does holding it away from your head as opposed to a call or texting decrease the chances ?

I'm sure the answer has a lot to do with your head not being in close proximity to phone radiation

@Sion

Yeah, I think what desert train said was right.

I did a quick search and found this article, so I'm not exactly sure how credible it is, but peep number 2. Apparently, the rule doesn't just apply to your head but your body as well. Apparently, bluetooth/wireless is the safest option.
    10 THINGS YOU CAN DO TO REDUCE THE CANCER RISK FROM CELL PHONES

1. Children should only use cell phones next to their heads for emergencies. Children’s skulls are thinner than adults’ and their brains are still developing. Hence, radiation from cell phones penetrates more deeply into their brains and is likely to cause more damage. Texting (while holding the phone away from their body) is still fine for kids!

2. While talking on your cell phone, try to keep the cell phone away from your body as much as possible. The amplitude of the electromagnetic field (radiation) is one fourth the strength at a distance of two inches and fifty times lower at three feet. Whenever possible, use the speaker-phone mode or a wired headset (not a Bluetooth).

3. Avoid using your cell phone when the signal is weak or when moving at high speed, such as in a car or train, as this automatically increases power to a maximum as the phone repeatedly attempts to connect to a new relay antenna.

4. Avoid carrying your cell phone on your body at all times. Do not keep it near your body at night such as under the pillow or on a bedside table, particularly if pregnant. You can also put it on “flight” or “off-line” mode, which stops electromagnetic emissions.

5. If you must carry your cell phone on you, make sure that the keypad is positioned toward your body and the back is positioned toward the outside so that the transmitted electromagnetic fields move away from you rather than through you.

6. Only use your cell phone to establish contact or for conversations lasting a few minutes, as the biological effects are directly related to the duration of exposure. For longer conversations, use a land line with a corded phone, not a cordless phone, which also uses electromagnetic emitting technology similar to that of cell phones.

7. Switch sides regularly while communicating on your cell phone to spread out your exposure. Before putting your cell phone to the ear, wait until your correspondent has picked up. This limits the power of the electromagnetic field emitted near your ear and the duration of your exposure.

8. When possible, communicate via text messaging rather than making a call, to limit the duration of exposure and the proximity to the body.

9. Avoid using your cell phone in places like a bus, where you can passively expose others to your phone’s electromagnetic fields.

10. Choose a device with the lowest SAR possible (SAR = Specific Absorption Rate, which is a measure of the strength of the magnetic field absorbed by the body).

SAR ratings of contemporary phones by different manufacturers are available by searching for “sar ratings cell phones” on the internet.

• 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've just stopped keeping my cellphone in my pockets or anywhere around my nuts.. I dont want ball cancer
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This isn't new. There was a big hubbub about police officers who rode motorcycles developing cancer on their legs. It turned out they were developing tumours where they were most exposed to the radios.

I'm too reliant on technology to backpedal now. I'll risk cancer
  • mc317
    mc317 Members Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    p8msscy3ai5z.jpg

The 1988 Motorola Carcinoma 6000
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plutarch wrote: »
    Damn, I guess ? don't really give a ? , haha.

@Sion

Yeah, I think what desert train said was right.

I did a quick search and found this article, so I'm not exactly sure how credible it is, but peep number 2. Apparently, the rule doesn't just apply to your head but your body as well. Apparently, bluetooth/wireless is the safest option.

1. Children should only use cell phones next to their heads for emergencies. Children’s skulls are thinner than adults’ and their brains are still developing. Hence, radiation from cell phones penetrates more deeply into their brains and is likely to cause more damage. Texting (while holding the phone away from their body) is still fine for kids!

2. While talking on your cell phone, try to keep the cell phone away from your body as much as possible. The amplitude of the electromagnetic field (radiation) is one fourth the strength at a distance of two inches and fifty times lower at three feet. Whenever possible, use the speaker-phone mode or a wired headset (not a Bluetooth).

3. Avoid using your cell phone when the signal is weak or when moving at high speed, such as in a car or train, as this automatically increases power to a maximum as the phone repeatedly attempts to connect to a new relay antenna.

4. Avoid carrying your cell phone on your body at all times. Do not keep it near your body at night such as under the pillow or on a bedside table, particularly if pregnant. You can also put it on “flight” or “off-line” mode, which stops electromagnetic emissions.

5. If you must carry your cell phone on you, make sure that the keypad is positioned toward your body and the back is positioned toward the outside so that the transmitted electromagnetic fields move away from you rather than through you.

6. Only use your cell phone to establish contact or for conversations lasting a few minutes, as the biological effects are directly related to the duration of exposure. For longer conversations, use a land line with a corded phone, not a cordless phone, which also uses electromagnetic emitting technology similar to that of cell phones.

7. Switch sides regularly while communicating on your cell phone to spread out your exposure. Before putting your cell phone to the ear, wait until your correspondent has picked up. This limits the power of the electromagnetic field emitted near your ear and the duration of your exposure.

8. When possible, communicate via text messaging rather than making a call, to limit the duration of exposure and the proximity to the body.

9. Avoid using your cell phone in places like a bus, where you can passively expose others to your phone’s electromagnetic fields.

10. Choose a device with the lowest SAR possible (SAR = Specific Absorption Rate, which is a measure of the strength of the magnetic field absorbed by the body).

SAR ratings of contemporary phones by different manufacturers are available by searching for “sar ratings cell phones” on the internet.

Sometimes all you can do is give the info. I already figured because in addition to hearing about this, I could feel it getting warm in my pocket. Like the waves and everything. Instincts eventually told me dont be having that near my body too much. Its down sides but I still have it just not on me at all times. I remember before we even had cell phones so I'll manage.
  • Plutarch
    edited July 2017

I hope you're right about that, and even though that's a good source, I'm not so sure there is a definitive consensus.

1. The article that you posted that says there is no risk precedes the article that I posted that says that there is a risk, so it's possible that "your" article is outdated.
    2. What's a bit odd is that "my" article and "your" article both refer to one particular major study, but my article says that this study reported a risk whereas your article says that the same study reported a risk but ultimately concluded that the risk was inconclusive. So meh?
    3. Regardless, I think your article does a good job in explaining the possible reasons that some studies says there is a risk while some say there isn't.
    4. But your article even admits that there is no consensus and that credible major studies have said that the risk is possible and that this possibility should not be dismissed.
    5. All in all, it basically says that more investigation is needed to come to a definitive conclusion, and I think that's a bit different than saying that there is no risk.
  • Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too much sunlight causes cancer
    Most fast food restaurants in CA "may contain chemicals know to the state of CA to cause cancer"
    Smoking also causes cancer
    Cancer is also genetic

No way to prevent it really, ? a cell phone
  • SimplyKrys
    SimplyKrys Members Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    Everything gives you cancer, if you live long enough chances are you will have cancer.