Judge Writes Supportive Letter to Jury Who Acquitted That Killer Pig in Philando Castile Shooting…

stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2017 in For The Grown & Sexy
http://www.startribune.com/judge-pens-letter-of-support-to-jurors-in-yanez-trial/432354143/
Judge writes letter of support to jurors in Yanez trial

In letter, he blamed outcry after verdict on "a failure to understand what you were asked to do."

In a rare move, the judge presiding over the trial of officer Jeronimo Yanez wrote a letter to jurors who acquitted him in the fatal shooting of Philando Castile, saying he supports them despite widespread public criticism based on what he called “a failure to understand what you were asked to do.”

Ramsey County District Judge William H. Leary III wrote that he wanted to thank the jurors “for the profound public service you provided to this country and the State of Minnesota,” and continued, “I write to re-assure you that you faithfully fulfilled the difficult task you were asked to undertake.”

Leary wrote that he was not providing his own opinion of Yanez’s actions, merely that he wanted to convey to jurors that their verdict “was fully supported by a fair interpretation of the evidence and the law you were obligated to apply.”

The judge’s letter to the jury of five women and seven men, including two people of color, was dated June 23 and filed with the courts on June 28. Although judges regularly address jurors in chambers following the resolution of a case, it’s not common for them to follow up several days later with a letter.

Reached for comment Monday, Leary issued a short statement that said, “I appreciate your interest, but I don’t believe any discussion would be of any additional value.”

Jurors said they were deadlocked in the case 10-2, with two holdouts against acquittal, until the afternoon of their fifth day of deliberations. They eventually acquitted Yanez, 29, on June 16 of second-degree manslaughter and two counts of reckless discharge of a firearm for killing Castile, 32, during a traffic stop in Falcon Heights on July 6.

Castile’s girlfriend, Diamond Reynolds, and her daughter, then 4, were also in the car. Reynolds broadcast the aftermath live on Facebook, bringing worldwide attention to Castile’s death.

In his letter, Leary broke down the multiple elements of the law prosecutors were required to prove beyond a reasonable doubt, including whether Yanez acted with gross negligence and recklessness.

“The state’s failure to prove any of the required elements of the charge required that you, the jury, return a verdict of not guilty,” Leary wrote. “As we discussed when we met shortly after the verdict, I cannot convey my own opinions as to guilt or acquittal, but your verdict was fully supported by a fair interpretation of the evidence and the law you were obligated to apply.”

The verdict sparked a rally at the State Capitol, which gave way to hours of protest on the streets of St. Paul that shut down light rail service and ended with a standoff with authorities on Interstate 94.

‘Nothing inappropriate’

“It’s unusual to do a letter after the fact, but there’s nothing inappropriate about this letter,” said Minneapolis defense attorney Joe Tamburino, who was not involved in the case. “I say hats off to him for doing this, because the jury received an inordinate amount of criticism. The issue was whether the state proved its case, not greater social issues.”

Leary sent his letter a few days after the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA) released dramatic dashcam footage showing Yanez firing seven shots at Castile in a matter of seconds. Castile was struck five times, including twice in the heart.

“The criticism of the jury’s decision of which I am aware has focused primarily on a reaction to the squad-cam video and on consideration of issues you as jurors were never asked to address,” Leary wrote. “You were never asked to decide whether racism continues to exist, whether certain members of our community are disproportionately affected by police tactics, or whether police training is ineffective.

“You were simply asked to determine, beyond a reasonable doubt, whether a crime had been committed.”

The BCA released its investigative file of the shooting two weeks ago, including more than 2,000 pages of documents and other videos. Among the videos was one of Reynolds screaming in the back seat of a squad car while her daughter attempted to comfort her.

One of Yanez’s attorneys, Earl Gray, said Monday that he appreciated Leary’s letter
. Gray said that when judges meet with jurors in chambers after a verdict, they “always tell them they did the right thing.”

“I thought it was a good letter,” Gray said. “He told the jury they followed the law and did their duty. I’m sure the jurors felt better.”

A message left for a spokesman with the Ramsey County attorney’s office was not immediately returned.

Tamburino and Joseph Daly, emeritus professor at Mitchell Hamline School of Law, said the letter was particularly useful in the Yanez case given its high profile and historic nature. It’s the first time in modern Minnesota history an officer was charged with fatally shooting someone in the line of duty.

‘Very hard to do’

“Most people make decisions based on their feelings,” Daly said. “The jurors are asked to take into account many, many facts and then many laws, and then they are told to take those facts and apply the law. It’s very hard to do.”

In his letter, Leary told jurors that the prosecutors had a high burden to meet in order to prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt, and that he had “no doubt” that jurors fulfilled their commitment.

Leary concluded his letter with a quote from prominent civil rights leader Malcolm X, as quoted in a book about racism by author Ibrahim X. Kendi: “I’m for truth, no matter who tells it. I’m for justice, no matter who it is for or against. I’m a human, first and foremost, and as such I’m for whoever and whatever benefits humanity as a whole.”

“If we are to protect the jury process now and in the future, and if we are to encourage all of us to be willing to serve as jurors,” Leary wrote, “then I would hope that your work will soon be understood for what you were asked to do and respected for what you did do.”

Comments

• leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    White supremacist Thank You letters

The white envelope was probably made out of a heavily starched and creased ? hood.
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's Systematic
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This womans husband was killed in cold blood n they handcuffed her like a criminal.

All these jurors did was sit in chairs and get the cop acquitted and theyre the one who get consoled.

Dumb ? .
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    High ranking member of the justice system thanking jurors for the acquittal of a man who shot another unarmed man 7 times who commited no crime (which is a fact disputed by no one)
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was ridiculous for the judge to write that, but he's actually right. The system is more ? up than people understand, so when a verdict like this comes out, people like to blame the jury. A lot of the times when they do that, they don't really understand the instructions given to the jury. I don't know about this case, but we've seen cases where the jury was set up from the start. The most common thing is the prosecutor overcharging the cop, so that by the rules given to the jury, they can't find the cop guilty. Then the cop walks and people are ? at the jury because they don't understand the instructions that were given.

The reason why its so ? up with cops is that for them it is literally an acceptable defense that they felt their lives were in danger. That's all they have to say and if anyone in the jury feels like the officer actually seemed afraid during they incident, they are basically instructed to find the officer Not Guilty. In the Castile case, Yanez seemed terrified, so it's not surprising that some jurors took the company line. Was it reasonable for him to be afraid in that situation, Hell No, but the jury isn't instructed to consider that part.

When you get mad at the jury for something like this and put the blame on them, you're playing into the system's hand. Those are just normal people. In a lot of cases, they are being set up as scapegoats. That's what happened in the Tamir Rice case. The DA made it known he didn't want to charge the cops. However, he also didn't want to take the heat for not going to trial. So what he did was set up a grand jury unnecessarily, then basically played defense attorney for the cops, and when the grand jury chose not to indict, he shrugged his shoulders and said "See, it wasn't just me, those people didn't want to indict either." It's ? up, man.
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This judge attempts to use the jury's verdict to legally validate his own preconceived notions about use of force. He's full of ? and the New York cop shooting the other day is an example of unhinged people becoming more unhinged when the criminal justice system is in a state cognitive dissonance.