Video: Florida Cops Command Dog To Attack Black Man…

stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knmZBAWUUeo

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/police-dog-attacks-black-man-outrage-follows-video
Cops Command Dog To Attack Black Man, Outrage Follows

In a video filmed by a neighbor, the police dog attacked Wright while he was on the ground, which caused outrage among witnesses, notes WFLA.

Wright told the news station that he was sitting on his porch when the police arrived. He recalled asking the cops to stay on the other side of a fence.

"They just asked for my information, and that’s it," the 21-year-old said.

Police said that Wright refused to give them information.

According to the police, the cops were trying to arrest Wright's brother on a warrant, and Wright looked like his brother's description.

"I had no [criminal] record," Wright stated. "No record at all."

Wright told WFLA that the police used a Taser on him twice, and then turned the K-9 unit loose to bite him.

According to Deputy Chief Bryan Dorman, who is white, Wright was resisting arrest and kicking toward officers, so the dog was used.

"I don’t know anything about any resisting of no arrest," Wright added. "They took it too far."

Dorman said there is an investigation of the incident, but seemed confident of the outcome: "With the video that I saw and the preliminary investigation that we have, I don’t have any reason to suspect that they were way out of policy or out of policy at all."

Wright was charged with resisting arrest, but there is no mention of any crime that he was being arrested for when he allegedly resisted arrest.

Wright, who believes that race played a factor, said that he intends to file a lawsuit against the Bartow Police Department.

Dorman told WFLA in an earlier report that the video alone doesn’t tell the whole story, and he assured the community that an investigation was taking place.

Wright's mother, Antonia Cooper, and her pastor, Clayton Cowart, said they wanted answers.

Cowart told WTVT that police won't be able to smear Wright:

He is a musician, he coaches basketball in the community, so you can't paint him as some thuggish person that is uncivilized... We teach our children to go out, respect the law, do what's right. Well, when you do, it still happens...

Those officers need to be taken out of office if they have this kind of mindset. And then secondly, we need a continued addressing of these issues... Even within our own community, sometimes people just seem to push it by. We need to address it and say that it does exist. That's the first thing, you can't address what you deny.

The police insisted that great community relations is important, and that they have hosted several community meetings about incidents in the past.

One white Bartow officer called President Obama a gorilla and was fired, and the chief of police was accused of firing another officer because he was black.

Comments

• blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This the reason i hope we lose any conflict with any greater nation state thats not white.....
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The dog should be shot dead.
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So the police ? your little brother up and letting a dog attack him and all you and the folks with you can do is yell "AYE" from across the street.

Sorry but why would these people respect that weak ass ? and stop doing ? up ? like if that is all the response they going to get from some ? like that?

Weakness whether real or perceived doesn't get respect!
  • Moore7s
    Moore7s Members Posts: 452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I see is incompetent police work.

If 3 men can't detain one without use of a weapon or a dog they should be retrained or fired.

I pray the settlement is large and the reprimands are heavy
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    http://www.theledger.com/news/20170705/bartow-pd-investigating-excessive-force-allegations-after-video-sparks-outrage-from-some
    Bartow PD investigating excessive force allegations after video sparks outrage from some

BARTOW — The Bartow Police Department is investigating allegations of excessive force after a video posted on social media sparked outrage from some community members.

The 51-second video shows Marquis Wright, 21, on the ground while three officers and a K-9 try to apprehend him Monday morning.

Wright was arrested and charged with resisting arrest with and without violence.

“The video has sparked interest within the community about the reasoning for the use of force,” Deputy Chief Bryan Dorman wrote in a statement. “Although we do not have enough information at this time to determine if the use of force was excessive, we want to assure everyone involved that the incident is being administratively reviewed.”

The names of the officers involved in the incident have not been released.

Wright has since been released from jail. The family has said Wright has no criminal background, and a search of the Polk County Sheriff’s Office’s website shows no previous arrests.

Wright’s mother, Antonia Cooper, directed The Ledger’s request for comment to the family’s lawyer. The lawyer’s name is not known.

Facebook users have commented on the video suggesting the incident had to do with Wright’s race. One user used the popular #blacklivesmatter hashtag, while another used #whitesforblacks.

They have also suggested that the officers were at the residence Monday to arrest Wright’s brother, but mistook Wright for him.

This isn’t the first time Bartow PD has come under fire for racial issues.

In March, community members criticized Police Chief Joe Hall for a perceived delay in firing an officer who posted racist comments on social media. The former officer, Christina Arribas, made a Facebook post calling Barack Obama a gorilla.

Hall also faced allegations that month that he fired another officer based on racial discrimination. De’aonte Broome was fired after accusations of having an inappropriate relationship with a member of the department’s youth Explorer program and lying during an investigation, according to Bartow PD.

Dorman wrote in his statement that the Police Department values the rights of all citizens, visitors and employees.

“Our commitment to great police-community relations is of high importance to the Bartow Police Department,” he wrote. “Therefore, a thorough review of the incident is in the process. As soon as more information is available, we will release a statement on the findings.”
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moore7s wrote: »
    All I see is incompetent police work.

If 3 men can't detain one without use of a weapon or a dog they should be retrained or fired.

I pray the settlement is large and the reprimands are heavy

Dude looked like he was 150 pounds. That's an embarrassment.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
  • rickmogul
    rickmogul Members Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whole lotta Michael Johnson's and Christopher Donner's being created right. They'll real what they sow. Hmm, dogs R the " NEW" bullets I see. Pushed 2 the edge ya enemy will show up 2 ya door step. They've almost stripped / taken everything we have. Even our children. Home addresses are next. Remember they had to surround Darren Wilson's home? Keeping their families in fear is next. To one person the world may not mean nothing but to one person You may mean the world to them! Take that person away or harm them and u just made a stone cold killer.
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    how the ? you get arrested for resisting arrest?