Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Thread

Comments

• LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LUClEN wrote: »
    When Bitcoin prices drop the other coins drop as well. I haf 4400 yesterday and have 3800 today. I used to panic a lot at times like this but I learned that things work out if you're patient

so lemme guess, cats are basically trading coins like daytraders do stock where even the slightest movement up they're selling?

Yeah this is big business now. There are all kinds of tech companies developing software to help people trade. People are divesting from other areas and putting their money into Bitcoin. This is a legit market.

That correlation is super common, though. When bitcoin drops you can bet 4/5 times the others will, too
  • LUClEN
    DCR made me a bunch of ? money today.

A friend of mine that does a lot of chart analysis says STR is a good buy right now. He's the one who told me about DCR so I bought 100,000 of them

2ylr2th.png

• dasmooth1
    dasmooth1 Members Posts: 163 ✭✭
    I've started looking into mining Bitcoin. Have you thought about that @LUCIEN or are you just about the trading. I'm gonna do a bit more research but I think I'm going to buy or build a PC and get into mining.
  • LUClEN
    @dasmooth1 mining bitcoin is really tough right now. Because bitcoin is like 8 years old, the mining difficulty has made it extremely difficult for the average person to make money. The people who do it now are using super computers: giant servers with specialized components and internet connection speeds way faster than you and I would have at home.

If you can get your hands on a server for cheap it might be worth it for you. One thing to consider, is the power costs. These machines are power hungry.
  • LUClEN
    Str coin already popping. Made about 200 bucks today

1k3q2g8ncm1a.png
  • dasmooth1
    @dasmooth1 mining bitcoin is really tough right now. Because bitcoin is like 8 years old, the mining difficulty has made it extremely difficult for the average person to make money. The people who do it now are using super computers: giant servers with specialized components and internet connection speeds way faster than you and I would have at home.

If you can get your hands on a server for cheap it might be worth it for you. One thing to consider, is the power costs. These machines are power hungry.

Ah so ive missed the boat on that then. I have a friend in computer programming who told me the same thing. Damn shame.
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ? ... I got in on SC at 606, the marked tanked, I waited and yesterday it was going for 639 so I dumped it all. Today the ? is at 702. Shoulda held onto that position overnight but then I did that when I first started and got screwed when everything dropped. I'm still holding onto DOGE until I can at least break even, then I'mma move to something else. I might just dump DGB and take the loss 'cause that ? looks like a sinking ship right now.

@LUClEN what's looking good right now?
  • konceptjones
    edited June 2017
    dasmooth1 wrote: »

Ah so ive missed the boat on that then. I have a friend in computer programming who told me the same thing. Damn shame.

yeah, bitcoin miners are now running purpose-built ASICs for computation and even now one or a few just ain't enough, you all but need a room full just to get in on it.

Computer-Shelf.jpg

? lookin like this or more. I know there's a group out of Sweden with a ? datacenter devoted to bitcoin mining.

IIRC, you can still do some Etherium mining with a desktop and a few OpenCL compliant video cards. I'll have to double check, but I think AMD based cards are preferred for Etherium mining.
  • LUClEN
    @konceptjones STR is primed for a big jump right now.
  • konceptjones
    @konceptjones STR is primed for a big jump right now.

bet, dumped my DOGE, took a loss on it but hopefully I'll make it back on STR. Just went in on it.
  • dasmooth1
    dasmooth1 wrote: »

yeah, bitcoin miners are now running purpose-built ASICs for computation and even now one or a few just ain't enough, you all but need a room full just to get in on it.

Computer-Shelf.jpg

? lookin like this or more. I know there's a group out of Sweden with a ? datacenter devoted to bitcoin mining.

IIRC, you can still do some Etherium mining with a desktop and a few OpenCL compliant video cards. I'll have to double check, but I think AMD based cards are preferred for Etherium mining.
    thanks for the info man.
  • LUClEN
    I'm not sure if you bought in yet, @konceptjones. Str dropped but the chart patterns still show an incoming increase. Conservative estimate for the short term is 1900 satoshis. Longer term it looks like it will be around the 2400 satoshi area.

Just a heads up if you're doubting the call, this is just some flux due to btc and eth
  • konceptjones
    yeah, I bought STR on the 20th, just holding tight on it.
  • LUClEN
    edited June 2017
    Str is taking a dump right now but I don't think this changes our prediction for the 1900 area. Looking at the trends, this appears to still be stable right now. The flat line we saw from last winter up this this may looks a lot like the one we saw before the most recent spike in price

4cz5ch5wx41a.png
    as1e27q6rfa9.png
  • LUClEN
    Stellar coins have started rebounding. It seems we got in a bit too early, and will just have to be patient as the tokens get picked up for other currencies.

I don't know if you guys are following, but the main bitcoin rival, ethereum, recently saw a big crash. On one exchange, the price dipped as low as 10 cents. A lot of people freaked out, but many of them are being reimbursed. Following this remedy, expect ethereum price to surpass the 400 usd mark.
  • konceptjones
    damn, wish I could have picked up eth for 10 cents.
  • LUClEN
    No kidding. Price shot back up to 300. If you bought 30 dollars worth you would have $90,000 right now

• dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any good research material (books, channels, etc) on crypto currency for beginners?
  • LUClEN
    dwade206 wrote: »
    Any good research material (books, channels, etc) on crypto currency for beginners?

I used to follow Stefan Molyneaux but he's kind of a ? . He drank the libertarian Kool aid

Reddit is useful. A lot of the individual currencies have their own subreddits
  • dwade206
    dwade206 wrote: »

I used to follow Stefan Molyneaux but he's kind of a ? . He drank the libertarian Kool aid

Reddit is useful. A lot of the individual currencies have their own subreddits

Good looking. I'm going to invest soon but these ? websites are making it difficult getting a digital wallet difficult. I'm thinking about getting an external one.
  • LUClEN
    edited July 2017
    Seems like the bull market became bearish this week. Going to be some good prices for long term buy positions here

Getting slaughtered on that str order right now. My bad for anyone that bought near the top, it's going to be awhile before we see returns
  • dwade206
    Seems like the bull market became bearish this week. Going to be some good prices for long term buy positions here

Getting slaughtered on that str order right now. My bad for anyone that bought near the top, it's going to be awhile before we see returns

Still stacking though. You think Coinbase is going to add more currencies to buy in the future?
  • dwade206
    Also, what do you think of Litecoin?
  • LUClEN
    I watched lite coin before. From what I read the technology is outdated. There are coins that transfer faster. I'm not optimistic for lite coin long term, but most of the code for these things is open source so there's no reason why it couldn't become more attractive. I personally think it's overvalued right now though.

Given this trend were seeing short orders seem wiser than long orders
  • dwade206