H.B.O's "The Leftovers" final season(April 16)

Options
13»

Comments

• Kairo
    Kairo Members Posts: 942 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm convinced we aren't going to get the supernatural conclusion we've all been expecting. I think it's a very real possibility that Kevin and Nora end up together and the scene from earlier in the season is them in the futurw hiding and taking false identities because Kevininity is a thing and Kevin wants to distance himself from it. Kevin could end up going thru the machine but if all the people that departed were in the "other world" (Graces children for example) and it got nuked, where does the machine go now?

I think everything leading up to this has indicated the writers are telling us there is no great explanation, no making sense of it all. That's life and what's important is love. I want a supernatural ending but the journeys been so great im perfectly ok with it just being a love story.
  • PILL_COSBY
    PILL_COSBY Members Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All of this seems like it already happened. It's like we are just being told stories leading up to the present.

@DoUwant2go2Heaven

Brother could you drop some info on this 7 headed beast living under the sea inside a volcano?

• DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Never even heard of this show. But there is a 7 headed beast in the book of Daniel and revelation. He's about to appear as well. I hope your ready. Amen.
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? got me cheesed. Like cmon man.
  • (Nope)
    (Nope) Members Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So, the ending was still ambiguous. But, my takeaway is that the characters were essentially hungry ghosts and the ending showed that we can choose our story and find our personal salvation and make ourselves whole.

Nora had a story, which this iteration of Kevin accepted, and that allowed her to free herself. There is lots of symbolism and questions, but like Nora or Kevin, you have to "let the mystery be" to allow yourself to be at peace with it. Because Lindeloff isn't about to give us ? .

As an aside there is lots of symbolism in the last show that leads back to the call Nora got in the 2nd season that she was the demon Azrael.

http://www.watchingtheleftovers.com/blog/2015/11/14/nora-durst-and-the-many-faces-of-azrael

But, I still don't think any of that is what matters.
  • Ibex
    Ibex Members Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I can't believe I wasted years of my life watching this fluke ass show. Never explained why people disappeared, never explained why certain people had abilities, then gave a ? conclusion with what happened to Nora. They could have done so much more with the storyline but got lazy at the end and said ? it. 4 thumbs down and one of the worst HBO series ever.
  • KingFreeman
    Options
    Ibex wrote: »
    I can't believe I wasted years of my life watching this fluke ass show. Never explained why people disappeared, never explained why certain people had abilities, then gave a ? conclusion with what happened to Nora. They could have done so much more with the storyline but got lazy at the end and said ? it. 4 thumbs down and one of the worst HBO series ever.

I want to cosign but that would just be feelings cause I love the ride the show took.me on but talk about crash and burn. Last episode is just ? terrible. How did this end worst than LOST? I feel like nora was lying but they needed to visualise that for us one way or another. Really didn't expect hbo to drop the ball here.
  • 25centsandwich
    25centsandwich Members Posts: 456 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Hbo ? this show over really....was still great but you can tell they were working within budget and time constraints so the story had to get condensed down...

I thought the finale was great for what it was. Last week was the true finale and last night was just the aftermath...

My take on it is that kevin really did save the world when he went to the other side last week...

Nora changed her mind when kevin blew the underworld up...to me that symbolized people letting go of tryin to explain what happened...

The only two that didn't move past it was still Nora and kevin. Nora was still the only one kevin didnt "save". The finale was all about kevin and nora finally finding some closure.

Again great narrative for what they had to work with but still so many ways and more questions answered this could've gone with more support...they could've really played that final battle...GR vs. Kevin followers battle up.
  • Kairo
    Options
    Kevin and Noras crazy ? ended up together. Im happy with the ending. I think Nora lied about going thru tho.
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This was a lot like the Series Finale of the Sopranos.

Writers/Producers basically toying with the fans by putting out a weak/bogus ending.
  • Madame_CJSkywalker
    Madame_CJSkywalker Members Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    deadeye wrote: »
    This was a lot like the Series Finale of the Sopranos.

Writers/Producers basically toying with the fans by putting out a weak/bogus ending.

it wasn't bad

the last season ultimately reduced the show to being a love story, so I was ok with it

think a lot of it had to do with HBO not giving them that big a budget and only 8 episodes to wrap things up
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,480 Regulator
    Options
    Another ? ending by Lindelof.

i will not be fooled again.
  • PILL_COSBY
    edited June 2017
    Options
    This was made by the same person who made "lost". So I didn't set myself up like some people did. I already knew more than likely we was gonna get one of them "fill in the blanks yourself" endings. Episode was great for what it was trying to convey.

Anyway, just watched a short from H.B.O about the episode. They basically confirmed what some of us guessed the show was all about. They said that it was about how humans react to the unknown. How they approach it, try to figure it out, or just let it be. In this case it was a doomsday scenario. Pretty much showed how everybody would react to it. Then ultimately what people do to move forward. Like I posted before, they explored pretty much every way people would approach a situation like this. Science, religion, cults, conspiracy theorist, spiritualist, psychics, psychiatrist, etc etc. Here the creator answers some questions.
    http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/news/a55441/the-leftovers-series-finale-explained/

Also they were telling us we were never gonna find out what happened in the intro song lol. "let the mystery be". Ignore the ending and this show is G.O.A.T.
  • KingFreeman
    Options
    PILL_COSBY wrote: »
    This was made by the same person who made "lost". So I didn't set myself up like some people did. I already knew more than likely we was gonna get one of them "fill in the blanks yourself" endings. Episode was great for what it was trying to convey.

Anyway, just watched a short from H.B.O about the episode. They basically confirmed what some of us guessed the show was all about. They said that it was about how humans react to the unknown. How they approach it, try to figure it out, or just let it be. In this case it was a doomsday scenario. Pretty much showed how everybody would react to it. Then ultimately what people do to move forward. Like I posted before, they explored pretty much every way people would approach a situation like this. Science, religion, cults, conspiracy theorist, spiritualist, psychics, psychiatrist, etc etc. Here the creator answers some questions.
    http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/news/a55441/the-leftovers-series-finale-explained/

Also they were telling us we were never gonna find out what happened in the intro song lol. "let the mystery be". Ignore the ending and this show is G.O.A.T.

Lmao. Even that article is ? . He danced around everything. Fall for the okie doke if you want I'll accept my L for not knowing this the same dude responsible for the Lost debacle I wouldn't have let myself get invested.
  • Kairo
    Options

Lmao. Even that article is ? . He danced around everything. Fall for the okie doke if you want I'll accept my L for not knowing this the same dude responsible for the Lost debacle I wouldn't have let myself get invested.

You sound mad at yourself. A lot of people like the show and the way it concluded. You don't feel that way, we get it.
  • PILL_COSBY
    Options

I warned y'all from the jump, if you wasn't familiar with this dudes work, don't expect a grand finale. He's like a more extreme version on M. knight Shamalalalalalamamon and JJ abrams.
  • KingFreeman
    Options
    Kairo wrote: »

You sound mad at yourself. A lot of people like the show and the way it concluded. You don't feel that way, we get it.

You seem mad that most of us were dissapointed and you weren't. And that has nothing to do with me.
  • godoffun
    godoffun Members Posts: 203 ✭✭
    Options
    How hard is it to end a show? I was happy until I watched the last episode and was like WTF is this ? . I was expecting them to at least try to explain things better. Hey Lindelof!! Your not David Lynch, only David can do weird crazy ? and never explain it.
  • Kairo
    Options
    This getting snubbed and House of Cards getting a nod is wack as ? . That's all.
  • (Nope)
    (Nope) Members Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kairo wrote: »
    This getting snubbed and House of Cards getting a nod is wack as ? . That's all.

Emphatic Cosign!