Doctor Who: the 13th Doctor is Jodie Whittaker

Options
dontdiedontkillanyon
dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2017 in Lights, Camera, Action!
Doctor Who: Jodie Whittaker is to replace Peter Capaldi in the Time Lord regeneration game

TELEMMGLPICT000120997074-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqpVlberWd9EgFPZtcLiMQfyf2A9a6I9YchsjMeADBa08.jpeg

After months of fevered speculation, Jodie Whittaker has been named as the new Doctor Who.

The 13th Doctor was unveiled following the BBC's coverage of the Wimbledon men's singles final between Roger Federer and Marin Cilic on Sunday (July 16).

The actor will take over from Peter Capaldi, who announced that he would be stepping down from Doctor Who earlier this year.

Capaldi said his regeneration as the Time Lord will be "more complicated than recent ones".

https://youtu.be/q1IczjLYCIM

On July 4, BBC Two's current affairs programme Newsnight appeared to reveal the identity of the new Tardis occupant when presenter Evan Davis said: "Bookies' favourite Phoebe Waller-Bridge has denied claims that she’s going to be the first female Doctor.

"But then, Joanna Lumley has already played the role for Comic Relief, so that would technically be true."

It went on to show a “Who”-style regeneration graphic projected over the image of Waller-Bridge.

Capaldi, who took over the role of the Doctor from Matt Smith in 2013, will hand over the keys to the Tardis from the role after this year's Christmas special.

Shortly after announcing his decision he said: "The time felt right to bow out, to let somebody else play this wonderful role and I would like Frances de la Tour to be the first female doctor."

Steven Moffat, the show’s lead writer and executive producer, will also leave the long-running sci-fi series after the Christmas special, to be succeeded by Chris Chibnall.

The Christmas special will see David Bradley making an appearance as the first Doctor, the role originally taken by actor William Hartnell in the Sixties, meaning that three different incarnations of the Time Lord will appear in the same show.

The previous incarnations of the Time Lord were played by:

William Hartnell (1963-66)
Patrick Troughton (1966-69)
Jon Pertwee (1970-74)
Tom Baker (1974-81)
Peter Davison (1982-84)
Colin Baker (1984-86)
Sylvester McCoy (1987-89)
Paul McGann (1996)
Christopher Eccleston (2005)
David Tennant (2005-2010)
Matt Smith (2010-2013)
Peter Capaldi (2013-2017)
XXXXXXXx (2017-)

https://youtu.be/1Ff-6Sn1Od8

The announcement was teased during coverage of Roger Federer's semi-final clash with Tomas Berdych on Friday evening, while the official Doctor Who Twitter account also released a trailer.

The 60-second clip shows the number 13 in a number of iconic locations across Britain including Downing Street and the White Cliffs of Dover.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2017/07/16/doctor-jodie-whittaker-replace-peter-capaldi-time-lord-regeneration/

Comments

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm cool with that. Last season was pretty good. Bill was one of my favorite companions
  • PILL_COSBY
    PILL_COSBY Members Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LOL wow at this SJW ? . First the master becomes a woman, now the doctor too? This comes right after the first openly ? companion too. See this is what I mean by people making ? so obvious that it's cringy as ? . Why don't they just write the ? in and leave it at that? They never naturally add this type of ? in, it's always hella extra.

The whole openly ? thing was over the top. Damn near every episode their was some kind of forced scene where she expressed her gayness. Like when guys hit on her and then she turned them down by telling them shes ? . WHAT THE ? WAS THAT FOR? Then everybody's reaction was either cool, or either they confessed they were ? too or some ? lol.

The master turning into a woman out of nowhere wasn't that bad. Because last season they introduced that time lords could also come back to life as females. This was some sneaky ? agenda type ? . But the way it was presented made all kinds of sense and it went with the story. Plus the master is weird/crazy as ? . Something like this actually adds to his all over the place character. So it wasn't really a big deal.

Now right after all of this we get the doctor turning female......? Now why couldn't they introduce this ? seasons ago? The whole "? power/gender infinite/girl power/SJW" movement been in full swing for at least 8 years now.

I can get over this mid core level of cringe and still enjoy the show. But they about to lose a lot of viewers. I'm gonna probably get pushed away if they start this over the top girl power type ? (you know they're going to do it) or make her a lesbian. You know they're not just gonna let her be a female without pointing it out every episode lol.
  • PILL_COSBY
    Options
    They really need to bring the devil back though. Every season after that I been thinking the devil was lurking lol. That has to be the best depiction of the devil I've ever seen on t.v. It looked better than most devils in movies too. You can tell they spent a lot of money on that ? .

The impossible planet & The Satan pit are the best episodes. No other episode can ? with them. It was kinda like a real horror flick too. They could have made the two episodes into a movie. The build up to the devil was insane! I don't think anybody thought that doctor who would take it there. The doctor for the first time was just stumped and scared. Who couldn't figure it out. When he told the doctor that he has been around before this universe was created. That ? just ? him all up. When the tardis couldn't translate the writings on the walls. You knew ? was about to get real.
  • fortyacres
    fortyacres Members, Moderators Posts: 4,480 Regulator
    Options
    Sorry to say but this show is trash (imo) i tried but its british corniness at its finest.
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    fortyacres wrote: »
    Sorry to say but this show is trash (imo) i tried but its british corniness at its finest.

Yeah. I tried watching it but nah. The BBC has better shows.
  • PILL_COSBY
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Watch the impossible planet and then watch the Satan pit. Then come back and tell us how you feel.
    toby-zedThe-Impossible-Planet-The-Satan-Pit.jpg

• Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    I don't watch this show so I don't give a damn
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    northside7 wrote: »

This ? comes on BBC though.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It has its moments. I used to watch it regularly and then missed a season or two and couldn't get back into it.
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    northside7 wrote: »

This ? comes on BBC though.

Lol I know. I'm saying they have much better shows.