Kendrick's DAMN certified Double Platinum

Options
sapp08_2001
sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2017 in The Reason
lb6p98lad8zr.png

Kendrick Lamar's latest album "DAMN." which was released on April has been certified double platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America. K Dot took to Instagram to make the announcement.
The sales milestone marks the first time the TDE rapper has achieved the feat in his career; he's the first and only artist to be certified double platinum in 2017.
These murals forever belong to my fans. You've always taken my words above and beyond. Around the world and back again. With trust. I am forever grateful. 2x" the Compton rapper wrote to his supporters.
DAMN. was released on April 14 and sold 603,000 units in its first week, marking the highest first-week sales of 2017. It sold another 239,000 units in its second week, and sold 170,000 in its third week.

Comments

• sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stew wrote: »
    tumblr_otlpu2PLzS1u30yk9o1_1280.png

He trynna steal your GOATs @infamous114

My bad i didnt kno
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This ? over here in a prison pose for a certification picture. Black people, I swear.

Man, if y'all would've told me 7 years ago K Dot would be the highest selling artist of the year, I would've dropped you where you stand. Congrats to the Duck.

Sidebar: I just learned that battle rapper B Dot was on them songs with him back in the day. Now he's coming up. Gotta love it.
  • AZTG
    AZTG Members Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont listen to Kendrick cause I just cant get into his style but I do know dude got bars and makes deep records with depth and substance and I cant help but be happy about someone with real bars going double platinum so props to Kendrick for real.
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He deserves it
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Matike85
    Matike85 Members Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Leader of the New School...Sorry Drake
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • walwyn
    walwyn Members Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Props, Cole next
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Can ? stop crying about the state of hip hop. This ? Kendrick was literally outselling every mumble rapper on that mumble rappers debut week and Damn had been out for weeks or month. Jay just went plat. Cole put an average album out and went plat. Big Sean stepped his game up and sold fairly well

Same thing with venues. These mumble rappers are opening up shows or performing in clubs. Meanwhile Cole, Kendrick, and Jay all have arena tours doing well selling out most major cities. Sure the golden era is over but the best music typically is selling the most and bringing the largest crowds.
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
    Can ? stop crying about the state of hip hop. This ? Kendrick was literally outselling every mumble rapper on that mumble rappers debut week and Damn had been out for weeks or month. Jay just went plat. Cole put an average album out and went plat. Big Sean stepped his game up and sold fairly well

Same thing with venues. These mumble rappers are opening up shows or performing in clubs. Meanwhile Cole, Kendrick, and Jay all have arena tours doing well selling out most major cities. Sure the golden era is over but the best music typically is selling the most and bringing the largest crowds.

These dudes will go platinum no matter what because they have a large white hipster fanbase that will buy it. Same with Eminem.

This isn't 15 years ago where new artists could go plat of a hit single. You have to actually have a large fan base and be established.

Eminem, jay, Kendrick and Cole will go plat even if the album is trash.
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Quote me on this. Eminem's next album will be pure extremadamente garbage and will still go plat within 3 months
  • AggieLean.
    AggieLean. Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Didn't like this album, but this is dope!
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Quote me on this. Eminem's next album will be pure extremadamente garbage and will still go plat within 3 months

? said 3 months, like Encore don't exist.
  • Weazel
    Weazel Members Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Props to his new accomplishment
    ..AND to him posing in front of the Dutch flag ;)
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Weazel wrote: »

Colors
  • Weazel
    Weazel Members Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    Weazel wrote: »

Colors

I knew it had nothing to do with the Netherlands man, lol
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Not a fan but I give props when deserved
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Ear2DaSt
    Ear2DaSt Members Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the kids love em
  • Kairo
    Kairo Members Posts: 942 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Double plat?? Props but it seems a little inflated. I want him to be great tho so no shade.
  • anduin
    anduin Members Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Album is dope, he deserves it.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

These dudes will go platinum no matter what because they have a large white hipster fanbase that will buy it. Same with Eminem.

This isn't 15 years ago where new artists could go plat of a hit single. You have to actually have a large fan base and be established.

Eminem, jay, Kendrick and Cole will go plat even if the album is trash.

Wait so now you're knocking these ? for having a portion of their fanbase be white in a country where African Americans make up 12% of the population? White fanbases also like these mumble rappers as well and support them. But regardless of race there is a loyalty that these rappers have to the point their fans buy their albums more than the lower quality rap.
  • THE_R_
    THE_R_ Members Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    WELL DESERVED **SALUTES** :+1: