Apple discontinues iPod nano and shuffle

chgarcia345
chgarcia345 Members Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭

Get out the Kleenex and hit play on the Boyz II Men musical montages — it’s officially the end of an era. Three years after discontinuing the iPod classic, Apple is finally doing the same to its lower-end brethren, the shuffle and nano. The company pulled both iconic MP3 players from its site earlier today and has since confirmed with TechCrunch that this is, indeed, the end.

That makes the iPod touch the last device standing with the once ubiquitous iPod name. And there’s actually some happier news on that front — the company is increasing the capacities of the touch to 64GB at $199 and 128GB at $299 today. It previously sold 16GB and 64GB models at the same prices.

“Today, we are simplifying our iPod lineup with two models of iPod touch now with double the capacity starting at just $199 and we are discontinuing the iPod shuffle and iPod nano,” said an Apple spokesperson in a statement.

For the past several years, Apple has been fairly clear that the iPhone would eat up the traditional non-network iPods — and that it was comfortable with that happening. The rise of the iPhone and the company’s push into streaming with Apple Music have helped make music ownership a thing of the past.

The fact that there has been no nano updated in five years should have been a solid indicator (if you needed one) that Apple was focused on devices that can run apps. The most important of those apps for an iPod, of course, is Apple Music. It makes very little sense in Apple’s current universe for it to support devices that can’t.

The iPod touch getting twice the storage at the same price is a nice send off for the no-radio iPods. It’s also a good opportunity to reflect on the role the music player and its software companion iTunes played in helping return Apple to its former glory. The iPod wasn’t the first MP3 player by any stretch, but it was the technology’s true breakthrough.

Comments

• Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just by a cpo SE it works the same
  • blue_london
    blue_london Members Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still use my ipod 160gb classic daily
  • konceptjones
    konceptjones Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    never ? with iPods. I want another Sandisk Sansa C250 so I can load Rockbox on it.

Sandisk_Sansa_c250_2GB_MP3_Playerjg9Detail.jpg

loved that thing to death. Had it for years and finally dropped it one time too many.
  • black caesar
    black caesar Members Posts: 12,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I miss the IPOD Classic.
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

Get out the Kleenex and hit play on the Boyz II Men musical montages — it’s officially the end of an era. Three years after discontinuing the iPod classic, Apple is finally doing the same to its lower-end brethren, the shuffle and nano. The company pulled both iconic MP3 players from its site earlier today and has since confirmed with TechCrunch that this is, indeed, the end.

That makes the iPod touch the last device standing with the once ubiquitous iPod name. And there’s actually some happier news on that front — the company is increasing the capacities of the touch to 64GB at $199 and 128GB at $299 today. It previously sold 16GB and 64GB models at the same prices.

“Today, we are simplifying our iPod lineup with two models of iPod touch now with double the capacity starting at just $199 and we are discontinuing the iPod shuffle and iPod nano,” said an Apple spokesperson in a statement.

For the past several years, Apple has been fairly clear that the iPhone would eat up the traditional non-network iPods — and that it was comfortable with that happening. The rise of the iPhone and the company’s push into streaming with Apple Music have helped make music ownership a thing of the past.

The fact that there has been no nano updated in five years should have been a solid indicator (if you needed one) that Apple was focused on devices that can run apps. The most important of those apps for an iPod, of course, is Apple Music. It makes very little sense in Apple’s current universe for it to support devices that can’t.

The iPod touch getting twice the storage at the same price is a nice send off for the no-radio iPods. It’s also a good opportunity to reflect on the role the music player and its software companion iTunes played in helping return Apple to its former glory. The iPod wasn’t the first MP3 player by any stretch, but it was the technology’s true breakthrough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFood_bTOX4
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fortyacres wrote: »
    still use my 160gb Classic , until that ? dies B

Some ? stole my ? at my job last year. Now I use my phone and I'm gonna buy a 256gb SD card. Twice the size, twice the capabilities, none of the hassle of Apple music. ? Tim Cook.
  • blue_london
    blue_london Members Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lab Baby wrote: »

Some ? stole my ? at my job last year. Now I use my phone and I'm gonna buy a 256gb SD card. Twice the size, twice the capabilities, none of the hassle of Apple music. ? Tim Cook.

I insured mine so when it broke used my insurance money to buy a new one of ebay. i'm going to do that until ebay offers no more
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

me too...my ? been going strong for years
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    Crazy,

Cell phones killed off the iPod. Them ? used to be everything.

The sound quality for cell phones is terrible. iPod sounds much better so I still got my classic too. With music you need a specialized player that is built for that purpose.
  • lethal5
    lethal5 Members Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still use my ipod touch at the gym. Dropped it a few times, so the screen is smashed up, but it works just fine.
  • confucius_says
    confucius_says Members Posts: 111 ✭✭
    I still have my ipod classic. I felt the nano's were a waste of money for that low of storage
  • MallyG
    MallyG Members Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lab Baby wrote: »

So u know who did it and you didn't put any kinda work in b??!

Couldn't be me. U should've caught him outside of work "stole" on his ass!

It's never too late bruh.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never owned an ipod
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the nanos for working out.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ay someone tag that dude that bought a Zune
  • Figo
    Figo Members Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LUClEN wrote: »
    Ay someone tag that dude that bought a Zune

@Figo
    :#
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    I've always said.

When working out

Mp3 >>>>>>> phone

I've cracked my phone screen twice at the gym and I was being extra careful
  • lethal5
    lethal5 Members Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lethal5 wrote: »
    I still use my ipod touch at the gym. Dropped it a few times, so the screen is smashed up, but it works just fine.

...Plus my ipod ipod battery last waaay longer than my phone
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator